• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How did i kill my CPU thread! (And Mother Board)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had a Sandy bridge malfunction, it kept crashing the OS after overclocking 5.0 Ghz 1.44v and retuning to stock did not help.

Their CPU's VID was 1.55v. The VID range was something like 1.3 to 1.55. The reviewer says he was able to reach 3.3GHz without tweaking the voltage, but if you look at his CPUz, it is at 1.712v. That review was from 2003 & I think it was about a year later when the new overclock max vcore became 1.675v.

The P4 630 is a Prescott core, lower VID range (1.2-1.4) and generally known to be smokin hot. :) Fun to overclock on a good board - with good cooling - though.

View attachment 178294

Oh didnt saw the voltage on the pic :/, though i have found a few minutes ago a PC that has an P4 541 and i hope it works. The PC was really clean, I mean REALLY clean, Cleaner than my pc xD except the cooler, But the cooler was pretty clean too (I think it was cleaned about a year ago? cause my heatsink is showing pieces of dust on it and its only 6 months since i put it in my system out of the box.) And i am proud of the owner of this PC cause all of the other PC's i've found had giant dust chunks everywhere, Even in an old gaming PC (From 2008) i found few days ago.

I've killed:
1 MSI - GD80 from VRM damage
1 Abit NF7-S from old age. It worked great until I moved and then 6yrs later tried to restart her :rofl:
3 Asus Sabertooth 2.0 990FX. One from weak VRM chip RMA refused. One from improper grounding. One from processor damage, still waiting to RMA.
1 Gigabyte 990FX-UD5 v1. Lost to lighting. Was out of warranty
1 Gigabyte 990FX-UD7. Lost to lighting. Still under warranty. Have RMAed it back 3 times for different problems.
3 Supermicro H8QME-2. Lost all three to improper handling of water coolant. Lost 1 Opteron 8350 when a VRM let go. Beautiful Smoke and Fire :)
2 Asus CHV-FZ. Have RMAed both of them back 5 times for different problems and going to have to RMA them again as problem was not fixed.

The only solid motherboard that I have found > is one that I'm not trying to Overclock. :rofl:

When did this change from killing CPU's to Killing boards??????

Also - not sure if this qualifies. I killed a CHV-FZ by my dishwasher :)

All changed to mobos probably because it's really hard to kill CPU nowadays while boards are really fragile, not to mention that many arrive as DOA.

When did this change from killing CPU's to Killing boards??????

Also - not sure if this qualifies. I killed a CHV-FZ by my dishwasher :)

I will change the name to "How did i kill my CPU thread (And MotherBoard too)" xD
Ehh and its now the "How did i kill my CPU thread (And MotherBoard too) so the mobo count i guess.

Last edited:
Back