• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop suggestions needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deebler

Registered
Hey all -

I've been a PC gamer for a very long time and have built several desktop rigs, however in recent times I've found myself more of a console player. My current rig is severely outdated and am looking to switch things up and get a laptop instead.

My budget is around $1,000 max and I'm looking for a quality laptop (it doesn't need to be a "Gaming Laptop"). A laptop that will last for some time (possibility to upgrade ram / vid card as needed) and something that if a game came out I was interested in I would be able to run it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as well as a docking station too.

Thank you!

Most laptops will not let you upgrade the video card. The idea never really caught on. I'm personally lloking at the sub $500 laptops presently.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834297667&ignorebbr=1

I'm leaning towards this one. It should do all basic tasks with no issue. Web browsing, email, Netflix, etc.

It's going to be your gaming and docking station requirements that will bust the bank.

To get a docking station, you need an office machine. The home and student versions do not have docking ports. HP Elitebook, Lenovo Thinkpad, Dell E-series latitude, etc.

Edit: What size screen are you looking for? 15 "? 17"?

Last edited:
Probably looking at getting a 15".

That sucks about the docking station though, but I guess I could figure out a way to make it work.

I also would have thought by this time they would have figured out a way to upgrade laptops with the world going more mobile :)

You could pick up a refurbished dell XPS 9550 from dell, they typically have 30% off coupons (have to check back often as stock changes a bunch). Don't get the i3 version however as they do not have dedicated graphics...
Could likely get a i5, 960m, FHD for around 750. It has usb c so you could use a usb c dock and perhaps an e-gpu assuming dell supports it in the future.

I would look at Lenovo Y700, an ASUS ROG (6th gen), or something like this I currently have a Lenovo Y510P that has aged well and been recently upgraded but my next laptop will probably be 17". Doubt you will find a laptop with upgradeable video card but some have SLI although not sure if you will find one in the sub $1K range.

I have ROG GL552VW which is great except that I had some issues with display but I guess it's just my luck. Anyway best is to get version with aluminum lid which costs maybe $20-30 more. Laptop costs about $700 and is probably the cheapest gaming laptop with full 4 core i5 ( not 2 core +ht ) and GTX960M graphics which is good enough to play most games in 1080p ( not at max details but still not bad ). Also cooling is pretty good what I can't say about latest Lenovo laptops. Under load cpu has about 75*C max. Most laptops are passing 90*C in similar setups.
I'm not saying it's the best option in this price but just one of the options worth to take a look at.

speaking about laptops, and not trying to butt in in deeblers thread, would what i have be any good, i know nothing about laptops in general, i dont even use this anymore, just keep the battery charged, it tells me its an AMD A6-6310 cpu, 8 gig of ram, on W8 but it says the model is i5p003AX is whats written under the battery, and that says intel when i search that number, its a HP laptop

thx

speaking about laptops, and not trying to butt in in deeblers thread, would what i have be any good, i know nothing about laptops in general, i dont even use this anymore, just keep the battery charged, it tells me its an AMD A6-6310 cpu, 8 gig of ram, on W8 but it says the model is i5p003AX is whats written under the battery, and that says intel when i search that number, its a HP laptop

thx

You should really start your own thread for this. 8 GB of RAM is good. The A6-6310 is a bit anemic. As for the part number, when I search google, I only get this thread as a result. If the laptop is used, there is a chance that it is made from several different laptops combined.

For the OP (who may have abandoned this thread.) I did purchase an Acer that meets most of your criteria. Core i7, dedicated graphics, ability to take up to 16 GB RAM, battery life "up to 6 hours", etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315303

You should really start your own thread for this. 8 GB of RAM is good. The A6-6310 is a bit anemic. As for the part number, when I search google, I only get this thread as a result. If the laptop is used, there is a chance that it is made from several different laptops combined.

For the OP (who may have abandoned this thread.) I did purchase an Acer that meets most of your criteria. Core i7, dedicated graphics, ability to take up to 16 GB RAM, battery life "up to 6 hours", etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315303

i meant would it be any good for the purposes that the OP was looking for and not for my own interests

Back