• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus R3E - What To Expect??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

I just stumbled onto a good deal on E-Bay. I got a Asus R3E board with a i7 950 included for $300. Is this a good boad?????

I do not want to repeat my 775 experience. I kept buying the wrong board for processors that I wanted to bench. :( The boards looked good but would run out of gas (FSB) on the quads or duals LONG before I would get close to the rated memory speed. :( I would set the memory to run at 1:1 with my 1066 Dominator's v4.1 but would freeze or BSOD around 450 or 460 with the Patriot's installed.

Did I make the right decision on this board as I also wish to run other 1366 processors.

Thanks for your help :)

MM

MM... it stands to reason that one should ask before they buy to prevent situations like you have experienced. ;)

As far as the FSB and memory goes in s775, that happens man, that is the nature of the beast. Have you thought about raising the memory multiplier a notch to get the memory speeds up there? If not, there really isn't anything you can do. It just depends on what you are benching and your goals with said CPU/Memory/Board.

As far as solid BCLK boards for s1366, not sure on the R3E, it likely isn't a slouch. That said, I recall the giga boards did well, UD3P/UD3R as far as BCLK goes...

MM... it stands to reason that one should ask before they buy to prevent situations like you have experienced. ;)

As far as the FSB and memory goes in s775, that happens man, that is the nature of the beast. Have you thought about raising the memory multiplier a notch to get the memory speeds up there? If not, there really isn't anything you can do. It just depends on what you are benching and your goals with said CPU/Memory/Board.

As far as solid BCLK boards for s1366, not sure on the R3E, it likely isn't a slouch. That said, I recall the giga boards did well, UD3P/UD3R as far as BCLK goes...

On my 775 boards, I looked at the bot to see % used for submissions. The P5E and the Formula were both highly used for submissions. With that said, they were bought from reputation only or I have been pairing them with some CRAPPY memory. < From the scores that have been posted by them, I would have to go with the using crappy memory side. MR.Scott has a present inbound so this might change on the 775 boards :)

I should have put this under the general intel motherboards. There would have been more responses.

:) No need to make a double post, just ask a moderator for help :)

The R3E was a very popular board for benching. I imagine it will do just fine, beyond just the luck of having a board that will give you some more bclk when cold.

The R3E was a very popular board for benching. I imagine it will do just fine, beyond just the luck of having a board that will give you some more bclk when cold.

I started low on trying to learn how to OC Intel processors. From playing with the 775 platform, I learned that the FSB was more important that just RAW clock speed. I have yet to take them cold as I currently don't have a good set of DDR2's to match it with.

When you say "beyond just the luck of having a board that will give you some more bclk when cold" are you referring to: The CPU, the NB, the SB, or just in general because the board is cold???

Its not set in stone yet... just keeping an eye on the prize. :)

If it did happen, it would be towards the end of June.

Now that I think about it.... I should have named the thread - First Time Benching 1366 - What To Expect????

I was reading the spec sheet on this and found this under the memory section. This motherboard can support the following memory speeds: DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 MHz.
Is this the same as AMD's Phenom II x4 & x6 where the IMC stopped at 1600?? If you wished for the memory to run faster you had to overclock the "FSB". I have a tri set of Dominator GTs DDR3 2000 @ 8-8-8-24 and Funsoul is working on sending me better memory @ DDR3 2400. I know Intel no longer calls it a "FSB". Would I be working on overclocking the QPI or the BCLK?? How strong was the IMC in the 1366??? On the 775 platform, the holy grail was to run the memory in a 1:1 ratio. How does the 1366 platform compare to this?????
@ F_S was triple channel faster at a slower speed than dual channel at a higher speed????

I have the 1366 up and running with a i7 950 installed with a stock intel h/s. When I get to the memory settings, it gives me the options up to 2400. But it also says that if you are running a locked CPU you are limited to 800 and 1066 only.

Using the Intel H/S I've been able to get just shy of 4.0G's with the processor. I've been able to hit a solid 200 bclk. This must not be a locked CPU as I've been able to boot and run some benches @ 1866 memory. I'm trying to find the sweet spot but I don't know how far I can push QPI/Dram, ICH, and IOH on voltage.

Thanks

MM

The memory multi's aren't going to be locked and you should be able to change them.
You can also change the multi downward on locked processors so you can test for max BCLK.

Rampage III is a solid board, if you want shoot me a PM and I'll take a look to see if I have all of my voltage settings for when I took my R3E cold which should make things much easier on you.

Those Dominator hypers will easily be your best bet for 1366 benching since higher memory speeds won't net as much on the platform.

Back