• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

recommended idle temp for cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^ +1...agree

Idle temps don't mean much...they are mainly a function of your ambient room temps.

23C sounds a bit impossible considering that is likely incredibly close to ambient...

What software are you using to display temperatures?

DL Hwmonitor have it running on idle, then start a game or stress test and show us a print screen (host here at the forums).

23C sounds a bit impossible considering that is likely incredibly close to ambient...

What software are you using to display temperatures?

DL Hwmonitor have it running on idle, then start a game or stress test and show us a print screen (host here at the forums).

FX... it isn't accurate till 40°C.

I know.. :)

But does it suddenly jump from ambient to 40C? Whatever he is reading may be reading wrong or the OP may not be reading it right, hence the request for a screenshot. :)

I know.. :)

But does it suddenly jump from ambient to 40C? Whatever he is reading may be reading wrong or the OP may not be reading it right, hence the request for a screenshot. :)

It'll go from what appears to be sub-ambient up until 40°C is accurate.
My 6300 at stock, with a good cooler, would do 15°C in games.

Note that the OP is in Peterborough. I think that's near the North Pole. Ambients with a window open could be 15°C this time of year.

i dont have a fx- 4100 but i do have a fx 4130, same family, ambients here can and are around the 10c to 20c + in winter, depending on the weather happening at the time, summer ambients are around 25 - to 40+ c , of course it also depends on the silicone lottery of what chip you get and how it behaves, my highest temps were 57c @ around the 5 gig mark on air cooling in bios monitor..seems to me your temps are doing fine
idle temps were around the 30-35c mark from memory at that mhz

Last edited:
Back