• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project Moneybags

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Would stitching a bunch of nylons with the seems taken out work? Weird suggestion I know. I could imagine people's faces as I walked into Walmart and bought multiple packs of nylons for the "computer"....:rofl:

Unless somebody else snatches up that rack, I'll go with that then. Any general ideas which brands I should look at for respectable air coolers? I'm taking Blaylock's advice and keeping the K version. After talking it over with a few of my fellow geeks at work, I decided to take the CPU up to 4.5GHz to start, and see if I need/want to go any further from there. I'm gonna try to stick with air cooling for now though, don't have the extra dough to drop $100+ on a water cooler right now.

---Edit---

I looked at the Zalman CNPS10X Extreme. Can go up 2150 RPM, and for $30 on Newegg i think that sounds pretty good. Also checked out the Cooler Master Hyper D92 and 212X Dual Fan. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Thoughts? Find a review for it... I personally have no idea. :)

I would check on reviews of these things before you purchase them over the tried and true 212 Evo.

Thoughts? Find a review for it... I personally have no idea. :)

I would check on reviews of these things before you purchase them over the tried and true 212 Evo.

I did just that, and everyone says that the 212X is basically a slightly beefier EVO with 2 fans. Sounds good to me.

Also somebody grabbed that rack yesterday. So I am stuck with having to use any cooler that would fit with the side panel ON the case...minor setback, not too big of a deal.

To be completely frank, you will be spending a lot of money for not much base gain. IMO, save your money up, and buy a completely new system with new architectures coming out. Yes a new gpu will help, but theres too much coming out very soon.

To be completely frank, you will be spending a lot of money for not much base gain. IMO, save your money up, and buy a completely new system with new architectures coming out. Yes a new gpu will help, but theres too much coming out very soon.

Really? I figured that the i7 would at least be way better than my much lower-end-of-the-spectrum i5. Did I add this up wrong? I mean, I know Skylake is a better option than sticking within Haswell but I thought I'd still see SOMETHING as far as respectable improvement.:(

Truth is I really do need to get some type of improvement in my home system. The stuff I'm working on right now is just taking too long in the office alone. And it isn't really getting me anywhere trying to run on a GTX 750 with a 4460 (Perhaps the CPU isn't that bad but this GPU man). I understand it would probably be a waste just to do all of this for gaming but I'm not doing this for winding down from a day in the office. I, to be frank, HAVE to improve my workload. This isn't a playtoy, not to come across as rude or anything.

The gpu is garbage, i'll give you that lol.

Hear me out for a second. The 4790k obviously crushes the 4460. A gtx 970 obviously crushes a 750. If anything I would say get a new gpu, but pascal and polaris are seriously right around the corner. Tough it out for that to be released, and then make your decisions. A 4790k is really overkill for gaming still. A used (from a reliable source) 4690k and a good gpu will get you nearly the same performance as a 350$ i7 (in gaming, in most scenarios). That way you can save up and get a true "upgrade" for your entire system, not a false upgrade using dated components that you can not upgrade out of. (1150 is dead now)

But he needs the threads, no?

Vish - What are you working on and what does it need? GPU horsepower or CPU horesepower? Both?

Vish - What are you working on and what does it need? GPU horsepower or CPU horesepower? Both?

I missed the bit on rendering stuff. In that case Xeon or x99 seems more practical upgrade it we aren't talking gaming. This is also assuming his software has true multi threaded support.

edit: not telling him what to do or not to do, thats his decision ultimately. Just doesn't make much sense to drop 700+ dollars in a dead socket to me.

edit 2: this thread (http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...rks-core-i7-6700k-hyperthreading-test.219417/) kind of alludes to what Im talking about from a gaming-centric point of view.

Definitely a combo of both. The project I'm on right now is for some company in Europe, I forget the specifics and nitty gritty. My job is to take the basic outlines provided to me and run them through a rendering program to turn them into 3-Dimensional polygons with actual form. I send it off to another team in my building and they "paint" everything to show what it would look like in color. The client gets that, if they like it, I get it again and have to polish it to make it look nicer, add the eye candy such as shadows (in the case of anything that would have stuff like trees and such) and if we're helping develop a video game, I would also be in charge of default animations. You know, like in an open-world game, the way your character moves to perform a basic attack and whatnot.

You say 'dead socket' like its suddenly going to keel over when Broadwell-E/Skylake refresh comes out. The same amount of money will NOT get him into Skylake or Haswell-E because he can't carry over a couple of parts (memory and motherboard). To that end, he would have to drop another $300+ (almost 43%) in the case of Skylake, get 5% more performance... or in the case of X99, Probably $325+ (46% - quad channel remember) and not get close to that in performance gains.

His upgrade yields him HT and a big clock increase currently.

I will give Bob one thing, I think he's got a good point with Pascal. Despite my...*ahem* BRASH opinion that I seem to have on it, I don't have an issue with Pascal itself. Just concerned about how long Maxwell would continue to be an option after Pascal's release.

The things EarthDog definitely has right is I am running DDR3 memory right now. Upgrading my home rig for work right now, is simply a matter of CPU, GPU, and some more memory. I'm getting a different case because the one in my sig is no longer in use, and I am on a $30 DIYPC case with 1 fan in it right now. The PSU is just in case I need to have extra power for whatever upgrades I choose for the guts, and I'm sure the wattage will change eventually. Skylake, or Xeon/X99 would mean a new board, new memory, on top of the new CPU and card. I DO need an upgrade, but I'm also on a budget. Skylake isn't feasible for me right now. Would I LIKE to do Skylake? Of course! I finally have the opportunity to "stay in the loop" on computer systems. And if this were a different scenario, I would stupidly dump my cash into a Skylake system. But as of right now, such a thing is not possible.

So the main point here is, the i7 I picked out is a major improvement over the i5. That's ALL I need right now. It will render better because of the high default clock and HT. That's ALL I need right now. I can't do flashy yet. I only have the ability to buy what I NEED, which is an improvement in performance. I will give you credit, Bob, for suggesting Pascal. Unfortunately Skylake isn't enough of a jump over the 4790k to warrant me going to a platform I'd need to drop extra cash on.

Last edited:
You say 'dead socket' like its suddenly going to keel over when Broadwell-E/Skylake refresh comes out. The same amount of money will NOT get him into Skylake or Haswell-E because he can't carry over a couple of parts (memory and motherboard). To that end, he would have to drop another $300+ (almost 43%) in the case of Skylake, get 5% more performance... or in the case of X99, Probably $325+ (46% - quad channel remember) and not get close to that in performance gains.

His upgrade yields him HT and a big clock increase currently.

as I stated, I was going at this from a "Gaming" point of view. I missed the working applications for it, and that does make more sense in a case like that.

I dont think it would be another 300$ Tbh, mobo for 150, ram for 50, more like 200 or so. You definitely do not have to run quad channel, and the real-world "gains" from quad channel are meaningless at best. Still, a 4x4 kit of gskill 3000 is 63$, an asrock pro4 is 110$. 170$ To move into newer architecture makes infinitely more sense to me, given the cost of all the other upgrades into consideration.

So the main point here is, the i7 I picked out is a major improvement over the i5. That's ALL I need right now. It will render better because of the high default clock and HT. That's ALL I need right now. I can't do flashy yet. I only have the ability to buy what I NEED, which is an improvement in performance. I will give you credit, Bob, for suggesting Pascal. Unfortunately Skylake isn't enough of a jump over the 4790k to warrant me going to a platform I'd need to drop extra cash on.

You're ignoring the fact that ddr4 can be twice as fast. That 100% will make a difference in most rendering situations.

I know.. after that though, you still were adding on from a gaming standpoint (the edit)... no matter at all. Don't mind me. :)

Oops... math fail, you are correct... $200-250. :)

Why wouldn't one go quad channel for a quad channel platform? To each their own, but, I like to use potential regardless if the gains are minimal... and they may be for him and his uses.

All in all, anything is going to be a big improvement, its up to him as to what he wants (does that ever need to be said? :rofl:). If he goes X99, He can upgrade to Broadwell-E down the road (an IPC improvement AND additional cores). If he goes to Skylake/Z170 he has a refresh (generally no IPC improvements). Otherwise, he gets what he gets in Z97/4790K.

You're ignoring the fact that ddr4 can be twice as fast. That 100% will make a difference in most rendering situations.

True. But then in order to preserve my HT I have to drop $360 on a 6700K on top of that $110 for the board and $63 for that DDR4.

Comparing that to my current upgrades: 4790k is $342 at Newegg right now according to PCPartPicker. A second of the exact same memory kit I already have is ~$55 on Amazon. I'm upgrading my PSU to make sure I have room for these new parts and a better GPU, Maxwell or Pascal, for ~$70.The case is $100, but not a necessity. The keyboard, mouse, etc is all aesthetics and luxury, so not counting those, I'm at ~$467 for Haswell and ~$533 for Skylake.

cpus are luck of the draw, I had to buy a bunch to get a very very good one.
if you think you might need 2 970's, just get a 980, I have both kits and a single 980 is better, and my sli 980ti kit is the cats meow.

So a bit of an update:

1) I have decided to change the case AGAIN to the Corsair Carbide Clear 600C full tower. Has more options for mounting 140mm fans.

2) Bumped the PSU down to an EVGA 550W SuperNOVA G5 for the modularity (is that a word?) and 80+ Gold efficiency that isn't so far over what PCPartPicker says my max wattage should be. My current PSU is a few years old and non modular so. :p

3) The build might be postponed! There is a chance that my car's engine is done for and I will need to buy a whole new car (cheaper than a new engine). Unless a buddy of mine is able to get me an engine for free through some of his connections.

Back