• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel to lay off 12000 workers soon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Intel is offering packages as we speak on employees taking severence

Intel has insisted that it cannot find enough skilled American workers to fill its needs.

This is actually very common in the research/engineering field. There has been large growth in these fields, and frankly, not enough Americans coming out of college to fill them. H-1B visas are, at least, the legal way to do it...and the taxes these individuals pay stay in the U.S.

These people were already hired. I would also bet some of them are affected in the layoffs... though likely a smaller portion due to their likely cheap 'labor' costs.

I really doubt that the people in the white collar jobs filled by H-1B visas are getting paid any less than their U.S. citizen counterparts. Intel is a public company...and the P.R. loss if they did this would far outweigh any $$ saving benefits.

While I have never worked at Intel, I have been a manager at a large, public company that had to go through numerous lay-offs as the "dot com" bubble burst. At this company, an H-1B visa did not matter a bit...it was strictly driven by employee performance.

This is actually very common in the research/engineering field. There has been large growth in these fields, and frankly, not enough Americans coming out of college to fill them. H-1B visas are, at least, the legal way to do it...and the taxes these individuals pay stay in the U.

Unfortunately, it's getting worse not better. Twenty years ago there were warnings from the education system that we were in danger of falling behind in that field. Too many people think they determine their own worth to society and the workplace. Add to that the outrageous convolutions in teaching mathematics and you have a recipe for disaster, like the H1B program.

Unfortunately, it's getting worse not better. Twenty years ago there were warnings from the education system that we were in danger of falling behind in that field. Too many people think they determine their own worth to society and the workplace. Add to that the outrageous convolutions in teaching mathematics and you have a recipe for disaster, like the H1B program.

Agreed...Common Core is horrible...going through this right now with my step son. He is going to come out of public school soon and finish in private school.

Hey guys, I'm going to quickly slide in and give my opinion and dive out because I don't (read: can't) have to much to talk about on this topic.

Coming from Desktop/Server side, Intel plans to continue its dominance in the x86 CPU world. x86 is the only high end available chip that can do data crunching and run top end machines (high end desktops / workstations / servers). Sooner or later, Intel will be doing the same thing AMD is doing, putting all of the parts of a modern x86 motherboard onto one chip. The board will just act as the supporter for bootup and I/O. When, how, and if are very dependent on the advancment of Quantum and Neural based computers. These two types are the leading contenders to replace x86 based CPUs. How the market will adopt will depend on what Intel does in the next 10 years, this shift change is just the beginning.

As for the layoff itself. Be surprised to find out that a good percentage (I'm unaware of the number) of the layoffs were early retirement packages. The rest was redundancy, projects that were no longer part of POR, and general down size. Now for a company like Intel to lay off this amount of workers is nothing. This was all for pushing the company into their new direction.

The whole "layoff" terminology is very misleading. They are being fired, kicked to the curb, discarded and never allowed to return as per Intel policy according to
Once an employee is laid off, they are never eligible for rehire at Intel again, which Business Insider notes is a policy most workers are not aware of.

Be surprised to find out that a good percentage (I'm unaware of the number) of the layoffs were early retirement packages.

That wouldn't be a surprise as someone earlier mentioned Intel offering severance packages.

and general down size

While trying to hire a greater number of people than they fired??? That doesn't add up-literally. LOL

My posts may seem to be all over the map now, but it was pointed out to me that I've been leaving thought droppings all over the threads, and I don't want to be "that" guy. :eek: Apologies to the mods that have been doing the clean up.

That's the thing... from what I read, they are NOT hiring more than they are letting go. They gave examples of what they wanted to hire/submitted (2011-2015). But nowhere did it infer that point.

That's the thing... from what I read, they are NOT hiring more than they are letting go. They gave examples of what they wanted to hire/submitted (2011-2015). But nowhere did it infer that point.

After rereading, the number of applications goes back to 2010, with 5k+ hires. It is also possible that a lot of those hires are on the fire list currently. A little more specific info from Intel would be nice for us and would likely do Intel some good on the PR front. Unless they really are the evil overlords of tech the articles make them look like.

Upon reflection, it occurs to me that my views are colored by my age and the fact that my professional career was based in on site customer service. A very local situation. America's place in the new global economy is changing daily. Corporations like Intel are leaping in to the paradigm shift with both feet and there is little to no loyalty to their country or it's work force. While I see that as part of the problem, Intel sees it as part of the solution to staying relevant, let alone competitive, in the international marketplace. My posts have tended to show I have a simplistic view of the situation but I do realize it's far more complicated than just "Murica!". I advocate for my views and principles but I don't mean to lessen the importance and relevance of other's valid points. I am also wrong sometimes and I welcome correction without taking it personally. I'm prone to sounding righteous, but the first half of "righteous" is right. Speech over. :)

The H1B program might have had good intentions, it still has loopholes that are being exploited by corporations at US worker's expense. Don't know if Intel is exploiting any loopholes. Since I'm buying 6 y/o server chips, I don't feel guilty still using Intel processors lol.

Back