• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel to lay off 12000 workers soon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is not a big employee cut it is only 11% for intel they were just vary bloated the employees they are cutting were not doing anything at work, there just doing some reorganizing it will save us money in the long run for are gaming PC's

If anything, if market share goes down enough, they will be raising prices, not lowering them.

When you downsize your work force do to the lack of production you can pass the savings off to the customer.

deliver $750 million in savings in 2016 year and an annual run rate savings of $1.4 billion by mid-2017. The company will record a one-time charge of approximately $1.2 billion in the second quarter, it said.

American Airline downsized and lowered there prices.

It wont happen.. Let me know when prices drop... Im not holding my breath. ;)

ALso:
Despite the plunge in fuel costs, domestic airfares for the year have changed little from 2014.

According to Farecompare.com, a site that tracks ticket prices, the cheapest domestic airfare rose by 1.5% in 2015 over 2014. The U.S. Department of Transportation has yet to calculate airfares for the entire year, but the average domestic fare for the first six months was $388, down less than 1% from the same period in 2014.

As long as demand for air travel remains strong, airlines are not under pressure to slash fares, said Seth Kaplan, managing partner for the trade publication Airlines Weekly.

"These business are not charities, and they are not going to give consumers benefits just for the sake of doing it," he said.

Because of a series of mergers over the past decade, more than 70% of all domestic traffic is now controlled by four airlines, said Richard Gritta, a University of Portland finance professor and airline expert. The big four carriers — Southwest, American, United and Delta — controlled 50% of U.S. air traffic 10 years ago.

"Why would they want to cut fares when we don't have a choice if we want to fly?" he asked.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-airline-profits-fares-20160123-story.html

ANd for AA:
Fort Worth-based American Airlines announced two months ago that it will launch a no-frills, bare-bones fare. The carrier has yet to reveal details of the new fare, which start this year.
Its another option for a stripped down ticket. They have not lowered fares overall it appears??

Last edited:
Same.
Lol im rocking with my Nokia E5.
Btw im writing it from the Nokia so yeah, And this site pretty optimized for the Nokia browser *claps*.

It'd be a little difficult to do video editing with the Nokia.

Any info on what specific level of employees are getting the axe? Any divisions shutting down? Any recent acquisitions flaming out?

Well... if AMD can't be a 'formidable' competitor in the market... in order to keep costs down they need cheaper labor?

That said, not sure that was the issue. Last I read it had something to do with their workstation division or something? Not sure.

I can't really "Say" what effect this will have but I believe it could benefit AMD to an extent - Those workers will be job hunting and who do you think may have an interest in at least a few of those guys?
I know there will be non-disclosure agreements made and even a few "You can't take a job in any sector pertaining to this field for X amount of time" stipulations made based on the terms of a severance package provided a severance package is given in the first place based on exactly "Who" is getting the axe.

Such things do happen and will certainly limit the benefit but for those that would refuse such a package or agreement, you can bet those will be the ones snapped up by AMD and really anyone else with an interest.
Things could get interesting over the next year or even the next few years.

As I understand it, most of these people are low level workers... worker bees if you will... I wouldn't hold my breath, as much as we all may want to.

As I understand it, most of these people are low level workers... worker bees if you will... I wouldn't hold my breath, as much as we all may want to.

"Skilled white collar professionals" was the phrase that jumped out at me. Intel almost had me convinced I wanted one of their chips. I think I'm back to hoping Zen is the real deal.

Abbott Labratories... that was my previous place of employment. They are laying off mid-level worker bees and some mid-level management.

I see where it says that, but I have to imagine few secrets are walking out the door.

I don't imagine the upper tier of R&D are going anywhere, and I'm sure Intel has a sea of white collar worker bees. I find it hard to believe that the elimination of 12,000 American workers and the importation of 14,000+ foreigners isn't going to result in some cross pollination of actual jobs. That, and anyone who is onboard with Mark Zuckerberg's lunatic ideas on surrendering America's southern border and sovereignty is pretty much an enemy of my country. It took quite a few years for me to get past Intel's amoral compiler issues. I don't think I have enough years left to get past this latest transgression.

If you do more research, you will see that it's not 12,000 American workers...those are 12,000 jobs being cut world-wide.

The first round of layoffs have hit Israel.

Please do your research before you start spewing inaccurate data here.

Did I miss the part where they said they would be replacing these workers with green card holders and that H-1B plan? They gave past data for a reference...
The number of foreign professionals hired is uncertain. However, the MyVisaJobs.com data shows that 2,654 Green Card requests were approved in the five years between 2015 and 2011. Also many of the H-1B requests were made when the economy was stalled, and so many were likely granted. If one-third of its H-1B visa-requests were granted, then Intel was able to hire 3,000 H-1B workers from 2010 to 2015.

These people were already hired. I would also bet some of them are affected in the layoffs... though likely a smaller portion due to their likely cheap 'labor' costs.

EDIT: Yep... I missed it I think. The 2nd article speculates as such. :-/

Nope. I did say I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be some of that but offered no proof nor claimed such as fact. Firing Americans while trying to import 14,000+ foreign nationals does lend itself to that speculation, as was noted several posts back by another member. They use the term "laid off", but in Intel-speak, once you are laid off by Intel you are never eligible for rehire. They aren't "layoffs". They are firings, by a company that posted Q1 profits 14% over predictions.

Intel has insisted that it cannot find enough skilled American workers to fill its needs.

While not "evidence" in the strictest legal sense, this comes pretty close.

And just to be fair, Intel does have a point. If more Americans would get engineering degrees instead of degrees in Feminist Dance Therapy and Gender Reassignment Therapy & Nurturing, it would help the case of the American worker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back