• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

warning ATT uverse customers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
a tb??????? at home I'm hard pressed to use over 30 gigs.

Some of my games are over 50Gb in a single download, and all my media comes in through streaming personally. I have no idea how much I use but I imagine its well over 500Gb easily.

I can see it in game updates, my gtav has some big ones also.
how big is a streamed, hd, 2 hour movie?

truly depends on the compression rate.

I would err on caution and average 4gb, though that could be really high or really low.

Depends on the service, resolution, and compression rate. Anywhere from 2gb up to about 12gb. Id say on average 4-6gb.

my wife and kids stream netflix and sling tv all day which is a big consumption of my bandwidth. right now im at 315GB for 12 days ish.
this is the data rates for netflix from them Pdc7jx4.png

Last edited:
I pay a data center $60/month for 10 TB of bandwidth plus the power usage of a quad-core i7 with 4 spinning rust drives and 4 DIMMs. My parents pay more than that to AT&T to rent a hot and power-hungry modem for which AT&T doesn't pay the power and cooling bill and get a measly few hundred GB. Seems rather insulting. TWC also charges me more than that, but at least they have no silly bandwidth caps.

I guess I need to watch you tube or something I'm right at 15 gigs this month at the house.

what do games on steam use, after you install them?
do they reside on your computer and only have to update when needed?

Last edited:
I guess I need to watch you tube or something I'm right at 15 gigs this month at the house.

what do games on steam use, after you install them?
do they reside on your computer and only have to update when needed?

If you've installed the nightly build of Starbound, that's 100-700 MB per day, depending on what they updated. I assume there are many Greenlight early access titles that would be the same with active development. I haven't measured streaming bandwidth, but I do occasionally stream movies from Amazon.

App updates on my phone, Fire, and Pixel tablets add some, then Citrix remote desktop to work, then multiplayer games add a little (and even single player games that support Steam Cloud saves), then Pandora playing on my Echo adds some.

I apparently use well over 700 GB per month:
bandwidth.png

Last edited:
I have hit around a terabyte in a single month before. Netflix will really chew up the bandwidth if you leave it on auto. Granted I downloaded a few games and some os's that month as well but still.

I have hit around a terabyte in a single month before. Netflix will really chew up the bandwidth if you leave it on auto. Granted I downloaded a few games and some os's that month as well but still.

I have the same problem that Lochekey has. In the middle of last year I had several months where I exceeded 2TB+ of usage :(

i just switched from slingtv to playstation vue (no playstation needed) on my firetv, i monitored my bandwidth and after an hour of streaming tv on it i used 1.6GB it has no quality settings but that is much lower than sling or netflix on auto and quality is just as good.

Back