• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED help installing .net framework 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I put together an xp pro rig and am now trying to install my amd video driver.
I have installed updates and have .net 4.0 installed.
my driver, 10.1, will not install because it says it wants .net framework 2.0.
I have downloaded 2.0 from ms website but it will not install and gives this dialog.
what is the workaround?

Attachments

• yuck.PNG
    yuck.PNG
    29.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Corrupted download or file system.
Is the HD any good to start with?
Wipe the drive and re-install.

hard drive is good, already reinstalled.
trying safe mode admin account now.
man spinners and 2.4 ghz seems soooooooooooooooo slooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

got driver is not compatible error, will reboot and look at drivers again.

Is this XP 32 bit or 64 bit? Your driver is for a 64 bit install. If this is a 32 bit install, get the offline installer.

I thought all xp pro were 64 bit, how do I tell what I have got?

Windows XP 64-Bit was not really Windows XP. It was Windows Server 2003 repackaged under the name of Windows XP 64-Bit.

Windows XP (including Windows XP Professional version) is a 32-Bit OS...

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is based on Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 codebase. Because Windows XP Professional x64 Edition comes from a different codebase than 32-bit Windows XP, its service packs are also developed separately. So Service Pack 2 is the last released service pack for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. There was no Service Pack 3.
This even confused Microsoft developers themselves, who forgot (!!!) that there was no SP3 for (an entirely different OS) WinXP 64 and made Windows upgrades contingent on SP3 even for the so called but misnamed 64-Bit version... I found this out the hard way when I tried to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 64 directly from WinXP 64.

It was a huge mistake to use the name Windows XP for the 64-Bit version which only has the outward shell similar to real Windows XP - when it's really not. It was Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 repackaged to confuse us all to this day... :(

Windows XP 64-Bit was not really Windows XP. It was Windows Server 2003 repackaged under the name of Windows XP 64-Bit.

Windows XP (including Windows XP Professional version) is a 32-Bit OS...

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is based on Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 codebase. Because Windows XP Professional x64 Edition comes from a different codebase than 32-bit Windows XP, its service packs are also developed separately. So Service Pack 2 is the last released service pack for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. There was no Service Pack 3.
This even confused Microsoft developers themselves, who forgot (!!!) that there was no SP3 for (an entirely different OS) WinXP 64 and made Windows upgrades contingent on SP3 even for the so called but misnamed 64-Bit version... I found this out the hard way when I tried to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 64 directly from WinXP 64.

It was a huge mistake to use the name Windows XP for the 64-Bit version which only has the outward shell similar to real Windows XP - when it's really not. It was Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 repackaged to confuse us all to this day... :(

Holy #*&!. I'm bookmarking this page now.

I got it done!!!!!!!!
ide, arrrrrrrgh!
spinner hdd's, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!
stupid me, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the drive was bad.
spinner, ide drives take FOREVER to do ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!
I picked the wrong os.
I tried to install ccc and not just the driver. (and the list goes on)

Attachments

• sticky butt.PNG
    sticky butt.PNG
    381 KB · Views: 44
Good for you :D

Alaric,
You can install
Windows 8 32-Bit from Windows XP 32-Bit SP3, but if you try installing
Windows 8 64-Bit from Windows XP 64-Bit SP2 (the last SP for WinXP64) - you will not be able to do so... you will get an error message about Windows XP Service Pack 3 being required... even though there is no such thing for WinXP 64. :)
They're not very knowledgeable about Windows OS history in Redmond.

Also cell phones... not very knowledgeable in that arena either:
:D

the only thing that gave me a clue was one click of death right as it changed from the windows loading screen to the desktop.
I through in a Linux cd and tried to format it and it would get to about 20% and abort.

Before throwing the drive away, perform a long extended Diagnostic using manufacturer software booted in from DOS, and *NOT* Windows.
Slow format from DOS may also be successful if diagnostic doesn't repair it.

Glad you got it fixed , CD!

Alaric,
You can install
Windows 8 32-Bit from Windows XP 32-Bit SP3, but if you try installing
Windows 8 64-Bit from Windows XP 64-Bit SP2 (the last SP for WinXP64) - you will not be able to do so... you will get an error message about Windows XP Service Pack 3 being required... even though there is no such thing for WinXP 64.
They're not very knowledgeable about Windows OS history in Redmond.

While I may at some time install XP on something (I developing a collection of old hardware somehow) , I won't be installing W8 on anything (else). I helped a friend install 8.1 on her Gateway to replace a hacked W7 , since it came with W8 originally and that's my only install of that OS since I dumped the developer preview way back. The Gateway is a thread all by itself. Total junk.

nothing for this is planned to be kept, it was rounded up to test a agp video card I got for a buck but rescuetoaster offered me a board, ram and cpu for shipping.
the kit is good for clocking and I have never clocked a socket 939 kit so when I get some free time we are going to school me!!!!!!
then it will be disposed of............

↑ okay.

I won't be installing W8 on anything (else). I helped a friend install 8.1 on her Gateway to replace a hacked W7 , since it came with W8 originally and that's my only install of that OS since I dumped the developer preview way back. The Gateway is a thread all by itself. Total junk.
If the laptop came with Windows 8, then a factory reset to Win8 followed by a Classic Shell install effectively removes all Windows 8 problems.
Did you make a thread on this elsewhere?

No , the install went fine , no problems , and she likes W8 so that's all good. The Gateway is a tower PC with a laptop SOC (AMD E 1200 or something APU). Processor hits 99% usage streaming Netflix. LOL

Back