• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bigwater 760 Pro salvage mission

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Corzahazard

Gday folks.

My pump failed a couple of days ago, like so many others lol

I was just wondering if instead of doing a full rebuild for my system, can I salvage anything from this unit? As in, keep the res and rad and just get a reliable pump and have that mounted where the failed one is or place a new pump on the floor of my case and plumb it so the outlet of the res goes down to the pump then up to the rad inlet?

Has anyone done this? Did it work for you if you have? Or is it a bin job?

:welcome: to OCFs!

I would get rid of it completely since TT Bigwater systems were mixed metals and such.

There are many great starter kits in the market nowadays. Check out XSPC, Swiftech and EK. Make sure if you were to go this route that you pick the kit with a D5 or DDC pump. Those are the premium, long lasting line of pumps to use for H20 as they can handle most expansion you'll throw at them down the road while maintaining good water flow for sufficient cooling.

Cheers for the reply and the welcome :D

Oh well, it was enjoyable while it lasted haha, Thermaltakes tech support offered to replace it with a water 3.0 extreme S, or replace the pump and admitted it's a game of luck regarding the pump.

Might look towards the 3.0 instead while I get a real setup sorted, I'd heard good things about the XSPS systems before I got the bigwaster, it was on sale/last of stock and seemed like a nice entry point to the wc scene, at the time haha.

Cheers again, and appreciate your help and advice.
At least the fan still works and one of case fans sounds like it's on it's last legs, so there's a plus...expensive fan swap though lmao.

Incase anyone's wondering my system consists of:
Aywun GAME series G-04 mid tower
Athlon IIx2 260
2x hyperx fury 2gb ram
Ati saphire Radeon 2gb (can't remember off top of my head which model)
550w psu

Firstly, I forgot to mention my mobo is an Asus M4A78LT-M-LE too.

Secondly, this pump failure has been a massively great thing!! Thermaltake actually has a damn good and quick tech support, after offering to replace the pump (he must've had a pump in his pocket and been on his way to the courier lol) it unexpectedly arrived the next morning, I was spun out to see the courier with a package for me I hadn't ordered lmao.

So to my delight, and somewhat hesitation, I got to work switching the pumps, all went smoothly...well so I thought...this is where that great part comes in, I placed paper towel over everything (thankfully) and water started dripping in a rapid like fashion, like a tap that someone forgot to turn off, from what I thought were the screw holes of the res, as you can imagine I removed what I just put in.

Well I tried..outside the system..to work out the leak, thought maybe the thread was no good so I sealed it and reinserted the screws...still leaked.

Here's the punchline...my res has multiple cracks! I thought maybe I tightened the screws too tight, only dawned on me tonight that I couldn't have. The stock fluid that came with the Bigwater was bright green, the fluid I used to refill it after changing pumps was RO/DI water yet green gunky residue was in the cracks, if I cracked it it wouldn't be green, so thanks to a pump failure, as counter-intuitive as it seems, saved my rig lol

Sorry that ended in more of a rant than I intended lmao

Anywho, the guy I have been dealing with told me to send the bigwater back and he's going to send me a water 3.0 performer C to replace it. I know it's still mixed metal, and I've heard the fans are pretty average but are these ok for short term? I will be doing a lot more research for my next wc setup. And can anyone please offer ideas for cases, I'm finding mid cases pretty small for a custom setup, but my budget is about 100aud at present, setting up a reef tank currently and that's been chewing holes in my wallet lol

Peace
Corza

Anywho, the guy I have been dealing with told me to send the bigwater back and he's going to send me a water 3.0 performer C to replace it. I know it's still mixed metal, and I've heard the fans are pretty average but are these ok for short term? I will be doing a lot more research for my next wc setup. And can anyone please offer ideas for cases, I'm finding mid cases pretty small for a custom setup, but my budget is about 100aud at present, setting up a reef tank currently and that's been chewing holes in my wallet lol

Sorry to hear about the madness. Acrylic is sensitive to tightness so its possible you might have over tightened the fitting more from the liking of the acrylic but nonetheless, its good that you caught it now and not while you were away with the system on.

As for the 3.0, I think its a great idea and will save you from many headaches. The 3.0 is a All In One water cooler, meaning it is permanently sealed and maintenance free. Its basically taking you away from your custom water cooling kit but that is up to you. You could always go back to custom down the road and build your own custom loop.

Back