• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to prevent pictures from being displayed when tapping on attachment icon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
When you are typing a text message and you tap on the paper clip to attach something on Android *bam* all your private pictures POPUP ONSCREEN for EVERYONE around you to see...
This effectively means you cannot have any picture on your phone that you don't want people, co-workers, children, to see.

I tried to find out if there is any to have NO pictures POPUP up by default so you can just browse from root directory to whatever you want to attach...
And it turns out that if you place an empty file named .nomedia in every folder you don't want showing up - that resolves this problem!

Question: Is there a command other than .nomedia that hides the folder and all its subfolders?

If not, I am trying to find an automated way to place .nomedia in all subfolders here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/771752

EDIT: Never mind .nomedia is recursive on Android devices, you just have to REBOOT! It will take care of the folder and all the subfolders too.

But I would like to know how you would create a .nomedia file under Windows?

Last edited:
You're just trying to make an empty file, correct?

I'm on Windows 8.1. Open up Notepad, save a blank text document as type "All Files" instead of .txt, and I called mine "nomedia.n".

Then I oppened up the command prompt, hopped over to the directory I made my file, and said "rename nomedia.n .nomedia" and it worked! I was actually surprised. Surely this is the easiest way to do it! I remember years ago being awfully frustrated that I couldn't make a .htacess file without duplicating another one.

Thank you Ben333 for this extremely useful information.
Under DOS - it can be done!

Back