• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 10 Pro update not installing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyckah

hey, i've got windows 10 pro, and it is trying to update to version 1511, 10586, tells me it needs a restart. doesnt matter if i restart from the windows update page, manually restart, let it do its automatic scheduled restart, it never actually installs the update. its been bugging me about this for a few weeks, and now it has started auto restarting every night at 11:59.
any idea how to force this thing to update properly?

a few things to try:

Do a clean boot and then attempt to apply the update.

Task Manager > Start up > Disable everything.

msconfig > services > Check the "Hide all microsoft services" box , then disable everything else via the "disable all" button. Reboot. Attempt to apply update.

If the above fails... leave the machine in a clean boot state and run the following in a elevated command prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

The above will take a bit to run...

Attempt update again.

Let us know how it goes-
-TC

tried the clean boot, and that didnt work. got frustrated, and didnt have time to do the cleanup image, so left computer doing its own thing while i went about my day.
came home and found it sitting at the login screen, having finished installing the update.
not sure what changed, but it updated itself, so problem solved, haha

Back