• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 760 Instability overclock to 3.2-3.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiNKAZAURUS

Registered
Hello, I recently tried to overclock a Little bit my i5 760 from 2.8Ghz to atleast 3.2-3.5 (I have a 30$ cooler) so temps are perfect, but changing bclk to 140 (from 133) and the multiplier from x21 to x22 should be enough to get that 3.2-3.5ghz, with vCore voltage on auto and It works quite good, but my main game is Counter Strike, and I get FPS Drops from 300fps to 50fps for 1 second or so.
I think it can easily go to 3.5-4Ghz without so much problems, but it gives me a lot of problems playing COUNTER STRIKE.

When I do InterBurnTest is fine, temperatures are never above 70ºc and it doesnt give any error

Can it be because of the memories? I have only 4gb working at 800mhz, but today im going to get 8GB at 1600.
I also tried setting up 1.35v power for the core and start lowering but it doesnt work either.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 and my graphic card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti 2GB DDR5
My power supply is a Modular Corsair 450w

Any suggestion? Thank you so much :)

Will the the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) of the processor handle 1600 mhz memory? Specs for that CPU for memory bandwidth are 1066 and 1333. But yes, my guess would be that your present 800 mhz memory is a bottleneck.

If I remember right Lynnfield were the mem freq Champs of their day so the IMC isn't the issue there.

I wouldn't imagine this to be an IMC/memory issue either... well, at least not a bottleneck. It worked before the overclock... which leads me to believe that it is not stable.

Hello, I recently tried to overclock a Little bit my i5 760 from 2.8Ghz to atleast 3.2-3.5 (I have a 30$ cooler) so temps are perfect, but changing bclk to 140 (from 133) and the multiplier from x21 to x22 should be enough to get that 3.2-3.5ghz, with vCore voltage on auto and It works quite good, but my main game is Counter Strike, and I get FPS Drops from 300fps to 50fps for 1 second or so.
I think it can easily go to 3.5-4Ghz without so much problems, but it gives me a lot of problems playing COUNTER STRIKE.

When I do InterBurnTest is fine, temperatures are never above 70ºc and it doesnt give any error

Can it be because of the memories? I have only 4gb working at 800mhz, but today im going to get 8GB at 1600.
I also tried setting up 1.35v power for the core and start lowering but it doesnt work either.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 and my graphic card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti 2GB DDR5
My power supply is a Modular Corsair 450w

Any suggestion? Thank you so much :)

Need a little clarification here. Are you saying the frame drops are increasing with the overclock?

Yes, normally playing I have like 130-200 fps, but when I stream it goes to 80-120 and I have a 144hz monitor so I atleast want 144fps.
When I do the overclock, I hace like 70-350 fps, with drops when shooting etc etc, If it is not the memory I have no idea of what it could be, because with auto voltage putting it at 3.2ghz also give trouble...

Thanks so much to everyone for this help, I've been fighting with this since some days ago...

When I tried the overclock I didn't try to stream! I want to fix the fps drops before streaming again because its quite unplayable, I'll check the guide thank you!

Please see my edit... requesting some screenshots from you. :)

Yeah just saw it!

Here you go!

I'm using everything by default right now

cpu1.png cpu2.png cpu3.png

I have 2x2GB slots, but as I said, tomorrow I want to buy 8GB or 16GB, I think 8GB at 1600Mhz can be fine for now, and if I need more I can buy another 8GB more

Thing is, you do not want to mix and match ram... they should be the same. I would stick with 2x4GB DDR3 800Mhz (1600Mhz DDR).

I just think the overclock wasn't stable. Ram isn't a bottleneck, I think that advice was given off the face value of your first post, specifically this line: I have only 4gb working at 800mhz, but today im going to get 8GB at 1600.

As you can see, your memory is working at 667/1333MHz already. Not 800 and you need to buy 1600. ;)

That said, I would buy 1600Mhz 2x4GB. That should give you more headroom for overclocking as you will need to lower the memory speed to raise the BCLK. Check that guide out to get an understanding on the BCLK/memory multiplier relationship.

Thing is, you do not want to mix and match ram... they should be the same. I would stick with 2x4GB DDR3 800Mhz (1600Mhz DDR).

I just think the overclock wasn't stable. Ram isn't a bottleneck, I think that advice was given off the face value of your first post, specifically this line: I have only 4gb working at 800mhz, but today im going to get 8GB at 1600.

As you can see, your memory is working at 667/1333MHz already. Not 800 and you need to buy 1600. ;)

That said, I would buy 1600Mhz 2x4GB. That should give you more headroom for overclocking as you will need to lower the memory speed to raise the BCLK. Check that guide out to get an understanding on the BCLK/memory multiplier relationship.

Thanks man!

I've been trying just overclocking a little bit until 3.3Ghz, just changing multiplier to x22 and bclk to 140 (from original 133), vCore voltage AUTO, and it still fail, do you think it is normal?

The failure? Maybe. You are increasing the ram speed with BCLK... but that said, not by a lot. Try lowering your ram multiplier/speed and then push up and see. Again, read the guide... you are just pushing buttons with no knowledge behind it. :)

The failure? Maybe. You are increasing the ram speed with BCLK... but that said, not by a lot. Try lowering your ram multiplier/speed and then push up and see. Again, read the guide... you are just pushing buttons with no knowledge behind it. :)

Ok perfect im reading it!

Do you think this is the ram memory I need? HyperX Fury - Memoria RAM de 8 GB (1600 MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL10 DIMM), its 32€

I would guess that will work. Please check against your motherboards QVL list (found at its website).

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3444#memory support list

Also, after looking at that board... not sure it is something I would overclock on. It has few power phases around the CPU and they are not heatsinked...

Do you mean the motherboard is bad? I just to overclock a little bit because on Counter Strike, the CPU speed is quite important on gaining FPS, but I think around 3.4-3.6Ghz I can get +150fps while streaming :)

Yes, the motherboard is not made for overclocking. Typically there are more power phases around the CPU socket and those power phases have heatsinks on them. You can overclock a little I am sure, but not to sure about

Do you mean the motherboard is bad? I just to overclock a little bit because on Counter Strike, the CPU speed is quite important on gaining FPS, but I think around 3.4-3.6Ghz I can get +150fps while streaming :)

Power phases have to do with the ruggedness of the components on the motherboard that produce and regulate the power supplied to the CPU. The beefier those components are, the more power they can supply to the processor without fluctuations and without overheating of those components. Weak power phase components lead to overheating, wider swings in voltage, instability and thermal throttling. Your motherboard does not have strong powerphase components and you may be getting thermal throttling; not because the CPU cores are overheating but because the power phase components of the board are as you increase the stress on them when overclocking.

Yes, the motherboard is not made for overclocking. Typically there are more power phases around the CPU socket and those power phases have heatsinks on them. You can overclock a little I am sure, but not to sure about

Hello my friend! Today I have received my 8GB 1600 Kingston HyperX Fury and I've done a big step into my overclock! Definitely there was something wrong with my last RAM memory, now with this one I can put same values I was putting days ago and the computer doesnt actually really weird.

I tried vCore 1.25 AT 170X21 = 3.57Ghz but my temps are around 85-90º, so after that lowered vCore to 1.225 but this time 175x21 and it is working pretty good at 3.67Ghz, but temps still around 85º, should I keep lowering the vCore until it pass intelburntest with temps below 80º?

I attach screenshot!

cpuzzz.png

Post cpuz shots of memory and SPD tab again please. :)

You can (should?) Use the non GT version of realtemp. It won't have that extra space...the GT version is for 6 core cpus.

Back