• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my i3 540 with stock cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh i get it now, but do you think i can get more than 166 mhz with this setup?

Yes, I was able to hit 4.8ghz with 1.42-1.50v for benching sessions. I am looking thru some old screen shots to find my settings.

IIRC the reason why you have an issue with not booting above 155mhz is due to the SPD multiplier for the ram. If you drop the SPD to 8x you should be able to do 166mhz without issue running 1600mhz ram. 8x166mhz =1328mhz for the ram. The cpu multiplier 23x 166mhz = 3818 MHz for the Cpu. The blck frequency is tied to the ram and its SPD multiplier which is causing you not to boot.

Go to option configure dram timing by SPD and change it to 8

Humm, i don't know exactly what i should change, i tried to change it to 8 but it wouldn't boot, i think i did something wrong. These are the options i have, what shoud i change:
Untitled.png Untitled1.png

Nice, i put it at 1066Mhz and i managed to get up to 175 bclk, which is 4.04Ghz, if i put it at 180 the pc feels kinda clunky and the temperature gets kinda too high.
Thing is, running prime95 now, the temperature (using realtemp) get up to 98ºC, 7 below the limit. Is that too much? As i said i'm new to overclocking CPUs. The v-core is at 1.28v, should i get it higher?

The guide tells you max temperatures and voltages. Id tell you, but I don't recall off hand... sorry.

As far as raising voltage, if you are already running that hot, raising voltage will only make it hotter!!!

Ok, toned it down to 170 bclk now the max temp is 87ºc, that should be fine right?

It says intel is fine with up to 90ºC, i mean, it's kinda high but it'll be fine

I have i3 540 processor with stock cpu cooler. I set the BCLK to 161, so I get 3.71GHz. I stressed the CPU for 10 minutes and get the max temp arround 74. In intel website, i3 540 allowed max temp is only 72. But, I think its okay. I want to try to oc to 4.1GHz and buy new better cpu cooler

Back