• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 2600k 4.8ghz Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

Good morning!

I have been away from the hardware scene for a couple years due to moving states and working. I recently became interested in a few new games. I very specifically run my games at 4k resolution and typically attempt to max them out with the following hardware:

Gigabbyte P67 UD5 B3
Core i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
16 GB 2133mhz RAM 1.6v (I think the timing is 9-9-9-24? This RAM doesn't overclock well)
GTX 980 Superclocked Classified @ 1430mhz
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD
Corsair 1200W PSU

I have intermittently compared CPUs for a while using CPUBoss and generally the 2600k has done as well as more recent chips and in some cases better than even the 6700k. I am looking for an unbias opinion from AMD or Intel if there is or will be a chip that makes leaps better performance worth investing in, consider I would probably have to buy a new chip, motherboard and RAM, otherwise I will spend this same money in a second GTX 980 for SLi to get the 4k performance I am looking for.

Thanks for any input!

This is about where I currently am:
Black Desert Online @4k Max without "High-end PC option" checked ~45FPS
Black Desert Online @4k Max with "High-end PC Option" checked ~29fps

Final Fantasy XIV @4k Max without Parallax Occlusion ~55fps
Final Fantasy XIV @4k Max with Parallax Occlusion ~30fps

The Elder Scrolls Online @4k Max Ultra ~50fps

Blade and Soul @4k Max ~50fps | @1080p ~85fps

Tera Online @4k Max ~45fps | @1080p 50fps

Overwatch @4k Max ~40fps during heavy moments/ 55+ during light moments

Hopefully this gives a decent feedback on where my hardware is, I am trying to achieve 60fps or higher on all of them.

I think you'd be further ahead selling this 980 and getting a Ti. 4K res needs a lot of Vram

You'd be looking at losing, typically, 6% per card.
Remember though, 4K is very VRAM intensive, which means a lot of bus transfer.
those benches i linked its less than 1fps difference between 2.0 x8 and 3.0x16 even x4 2.0 for that matter @4k that is

those benches i linked its less than 1fps difference between 2.0 x8 and 3.0x16 even x4 2.0 for that matter @4k that is

The summary from the article linked showed up to ~6% loss at 2.0 x8.
4K loss was lower than 1440p/1080p, but I still wouldn't want to do it.

The summary from the article linked showed up to ~6% loss at 2.0 x8.
4K loss was lower than 1440p/1080p, but I still wouldn't want to do it.

with dude running 4k monitor, and the summary showed less than 2% @4k

Ive seen people buy things new with more of a glass ceiling than 2% (@4K). I wouldn't worry about that. I would worry more about getting a card with adequate horsepower and vram before a 2% (or even 4% if it works that way for SLI testing - I havent seen testing).

Ive seen people buy things new with more of a glass ceiling than 2% (@4K). I wouldn't worry about that. I would worry more about getting a card with adequate horsepower and vram before a 2% (or even 4% if it works that way for SLI testing - I havent seen testing).

i have no idea what you are trying to say lol, at all.

LOL, just saying that 2-4% loss is nothing. I have seen people buy stuff, like SLI on a i7 920 that has a lower glass ceiling on it (meaning caps performance). This is nothing. That meager loss wouldn't stop me from doing it.

LOL, just saying that 2-4% loss is nothing. I have seen people buy stuff, like SLI on a i7 920 that has a lower glass ceiling on it (meaning caps performance). This is nothing. That meager loss wouldn't stop me from doing it.

oh ok lol that makes sense :D was just kind of hard to follow the glass ceilings thing. i gotcha now :)

Glass ceiling is being able to see/know of the potential (hence glass/see through) but are limited (ceiling) by it.

Hm, I guess what I can try to take away from the conversation is that the problem isn't really with the CPU, which was what I was thinking, considering it's 5+ years old now. But, rather it's more with the VRAM. I can see in the future that games may start eating more of the VRAM, something I never paid too much attention to, mainly because I haven't quit hit that 3GB+ issue yet, only really with GTA 5 which I don't play much but other than that GTA 5 seemes to be able to take a lot of memory for things that would otherwise be barely noticeable too.

Either way, for the list of games I have above the most usage I have on record is 2885 MB on Black Desert with High-End PC off, slightly over 3GB with it on but it becomes more of an issue with lack of graphical horsepower since other vitals of the PC seem to be working fine, yet the GPU is taxed at 99% before and after it. Pretty much all of those games I listed have the GPU at 99% with the exception of The Elder Scrolls Online, which creates more of a heartbeat monitor 70%-90%-70% etc and on the flip side, CPU usage is a bit heavier, with 2 cores typically over 40% and 2 others hovering in the 20-30's.

I recommend a minimum of a 980Ti for 4K gameplay, which would agree with the GPU horsepower limits you've noticed.

Yup ^^....

Depending on the title, you may not be able to run AA (which not as much is needed due to the pixel density) with a single one. It depends on your FPS wants/needs and the game/its settings.

Back