• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beginner Help OCing Phenom 2 x4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phasrr

Hi guys I am total beginner to OCing and I am trying to OC my amd phenom 2 x4 from 3.0 to 3.6GHz.

I did some research on this forums and some other websites and here are the thing I do understand and will change:

FSB to 240
Voltage to 1.40 V
CPU NB to 2285.714
NB voltage 1.35

The parts that are not quite clear to me are the

HTT
Memory (timings, speed)

My PC specs are:
GPU: Geforce GTX 550 Ti
AMD Phenom 2 X4
8GB DDR2 RAM 1600 MHz
Asus m2n-SLI deluxe mobo

See following link for cpu and memory cpuz ss
thnx in advance!

We need more information about your system. Please attach pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU," "Memory," and "SPD." There is a built-in forum tool for doing this.

I don't think you actually have 1600 mhz memory. You have DDR2 RAM and they didn't make it that fast. 1600 mhz RAM didn't come along until DDR3. I think you probably have DDR2 800. Your motherboard takes DDR2 RAM. Are you confusing "Dual Channel" with Double Data Rate (DDR)? Running your memory in dual channel mode does not double the speed.

What is the make and model of your PSU and how many watts is it rated for?

We'll look at your other questions when we get more info.

We need more information about your system. Please attach pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU," "Memory," and "SPD." There is a built-in forum tool for doing this.

I don't think you actually have 1600 mhz memory. You have DDR2 RAM and they didn't make it that fast. 1600 mhz RAM didn't come along until DDR3. I think you probably have DDR2 800. Your motherboard takes DDR2 RAM. Are you confusing "Dual Channel" with Double Data Rate (DDR)? Running your memory in dual channel mode does not double the speed.

What is the make and model of your PSU and how many watts is it rated for?

We'll look at your other questions when we get more info.

Thank you for replying.

CPUZ pictures
This is my PSU http://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/recom/pro-engine-m850-ii-850w/

From what I understand when you OC your cpu you are supposed to either also OC your memory or change some settings like timings, this is what I dont understand.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums Phasrr.

Your multi maxes out at 15 so you'll need to overclock using the FSB as you stated in the OP. You were confusing the NB with the ram speed. Trents suspicions were correct. Your ram is 400mhz x2 (ddr) so 800Mhz. If you read Dolks guide in the AMD section it will tell you you need to lower your Ram and NB setting prior to raising the FSB. CPU, RAM and NB are all affected by FSB so it's best to focus on CPU speed first. You can raise the others later if you reach your goal.

Another major question is cooling. What are you using to cool this CPU?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you please attach the pics in stead of linking them? Much easier for us that way. Crop and capture them first. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then use the tool at the top edge of any post window to locate and attach the pictures.

Back