• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newegg trojan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I was browsing newegg, in the computer case section, and MSE spotted a Trojan. One of the tabs I had opened from a link on the newegg page was a phony Flash update page. Looked real but the URL was all wrong and MSE was screaming 'Trojan!" I don't remember exactly which case I clicked on (I opened several tabs at once to compare cases) but they were all pink Apevia cases. No, not for me. LOL. Just wanted to give a heads up to everybody. Most people here know this already , but check the URL and update manually. That is all.

Was it from a third party seller? Regardless, you would want to notify newegg of your findings...

I was browsing newegg, in the computer case section, and MSE spotted a Trojan. One of the tabs I had opened from a link on the newegg page was a phony Flash update page. Looked real but the URL was all wrong and MSE was screaming 'Trojan!" I don't remember exactly which case I clicked on (I opened several tabs at once to compare cases) but they were all pink Apevia cases. No, not for me. LOL. Just wanted to give a heads up to everybody. Most people here know this already , but check the URL and update manually. That is all.

I had a app that wanted to open in my browser I clicked on cancel.

What browsers are you guys using for everyone's information?

I was still on newegg's site. I just opened the product description in another tab. Browser was Pale Moon. I opened a customer service chat window and let them know. For all I knew it was something hiding in my browser that just popped up at that time , but I thought they should get a heads up, too.

I had a app that wanted to open in my browser I clicked on cancel.

That's not a good sign.

IE gets a bad rap , but IE 11 really isn't bad. I also use it a lot and don't get any more issues than any other I've used.

try browsing other sites for a while and see if it isnt something in your browser you picked up somewhere else.

The pop up box is from windows IE 11 browser it wont let me do anything unless I hit cancel or open, I never click on open. I don't have other sites with the pop up wanting to open a app.

try browsing other sites for a while and see if it isnt something in your browser you picked up somewhere else.

I've been surfing the web all day and that was the only incident. Mostly newegg and here , with a side trip to Fry's Electronics. I've been back on newegg and haven't been able to duplicate it. It was a website open in a new tab , and the item I posted from my browser history is when it happened.

Could that be a chat window pop up? I've notice I get those stupid things after a couple minute browsing the site, asking if I want some kind of "technical" help.

Hmmm. I keep hoping my expected budget increase will happen soon so I can clog up the 'What did you get today?' thread , but I don't think I want to risk newegg for a while now.

Well, we've got Pale Moon (Firefox) and IE 11 with incidents. I don't like Chrome, and really don't want to start collecting browsers as a hobby. LOL. I'm still not 100% that it was newegg's site that deposited the attempted malware, as opposed to it just finally showing up while I was there, but I'm not much of a gambler.

Back