• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.9 GiB VRAM usage in Fallout 4 with no view distance mods whatsoever

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I cranked up the settlement build limits to nearly 3 million and am now seeing 2.9 GiB peak VRAM usage in Fallout 4. I'm guessing it's entirely down to the number of items now in place at my settlements. I'd like to increase the view distances as well, but without increasing the cells loaded (if that's possible).

How's that working out for you with a 6970 and 2GB of vram?

Seems like you would need to turn something else down so you can raise your view distance...not sure I see a question here?

How's that working out for you with a 6970 and 2GB of vram?

Seems like you would need to turn something else down so you can raise your view distance...not sure I see a question here?

I have a GTX 780 now.

I don't think I'll be raising draw distance w/this video card.

I just posted this to refute the 2 GiB VRAM is still enough for everything crowd.

2gb is still enough crowd ? there's one ? nowadays 4gb is starting to look very small let alone 2gb ?

I have a GTX 780 now.

I don't think I'll be raising draw distance w/this video card.

I just posted this to refute the 2 GiB VRAM is still enough for everything crowd.
Perhaps consider updating your signature so you accurately portray your hardware. :)

That was the reasoning... that meaning was buried deep in the post, lol!

Last edited:
Second that. I'm going to be skipping Polaris if there isn't an HBM2 flagship in there somewhere :)

AMD Polaris 10 performance will reportedly be on par with Radeon 390/390X:

http://www.techspot.com/news/64679-amd-polaris-10-performance-reportedly-par-390-390x.html

"The Polaris 11, meanwhile, is expected to replace the Radeon 370 and take on the GeForce 950 in terms of performance. Both Polaris 10 and Polaris 11 could arrive at Computex in June."

Why would AMD tout their flagship card by comparing it to their own current gen cards and not even their highest performing current gen parts? Has the malaise that affects AMD's CPU division spread to their GPU division?

AMD Polaris 10 performance will reportedly be on par with Radeon 390/390X:

http://www.techspot.com/news/64679-amd-polaris-10-performance-reportedly-par-390-390x.html

"The Polaris 11, meanwhile, is expected to replace the Radeon 370 and take on the GeForce 950 in terms of performance. Both Polaris 10 and Polaris 11 could arrive at Computex in June."

Why would AMD tout their flagship card by comparing it to their own current gen cards and not even their highest performing current gen parts? Has the malaise that affects AMD's CPU division spread to their GPU division?

Who said Polaris 10 is definitely the flagship?

Who said Polaris 10 is definitely the flagship?

But why bother designing a whole new GPU that isn't even as good as your flagship last gen part? Is it significantly cheaper to manufacture?

But why bother designing a whole new GPU that isn't even as good as your flagship last gen part? Is it significantly cheaper to manufacture?

Why did they release the 370 when it wasn't as good as a 290? That's a silly question.

'Flagship designs' probably account for ~5% of sales but ~80% of headlines.

For most people, something more economic to purchase and run is much more attractive and would, if successful in those areas, be a better seller for the maker, improving their % status in the marketplace.

Why did they release the 370 when it wasn't as good as a 290? That's a silly question.

I guess the initial Maxwell parts (750?) were also mid-range or less, but how many of those did Nvidia sell?

I guess the initial Maxwell parts (750?) were also mid-range or less, but how many of those did Nvidia sell?
750 ti, yep.

Likely a lot...but who knows. That was a bit different than previous launches. 750ti I would t call midrange.it's more of a budget card. These cards coming out now are upper midrange in the 1070 and 1080. There presumably will only be 1080ti and a Titan variant. Whereas with 750ti, there was 760, 770, 780, 780ti/titan.

750 ti, yep.

Likely a lot...but who knows. That was a bit different than previous launches. 750ti I would t call midrange.it's more of a budget card. These cards coming out now are upper midrange in the 1070 and 1080. There presumably will only be 1080ti and a Titan variant. Whereas with 750ti, there was 760, 770, 780, 780ti/titan.

I wonder how many 750Ti's were sold relative to 770's, 780's and 680's -- I'd guess damn few. Who's going to buy a 2 GiB card that isn't SLI capable?

I wonder how many 750Ti's were sold relative to 770's, 780's and 680's -- I'd guess damn few. Who's going to buy a 2 GiB card that isn't SLI capable?

Hundreds of thousands of people who don't buy high-end gaming rigs. They don't make the cheap cards just to take up shelf space... :bang head

I beg to differ......

Steam usage stats.

Fourth most popular card on steam as of now.

Gotcha.JPG

I understand, it is hard not to see things as a computer enthusiast. The truth is, most people don't know and don't care to know about hardware.

Does it work? Yes. Keep it. No. buy a new machine at BestBuy.

Notice how Intel HD4000 integrated is third most popular.

Hundreds of thousands of people who don't buy high-end gaming rigs. They don't make the cheap cards just to take up shelf space... :bang head

Duh, then why not just use integrated graphics solutions? Why buy ANY video card whatsoever?

Duh, then why not just use integrated graphics solutions? Why buy ANY video card whatsoever?
Have you seen reviews of integrated graphics performance? You would want to look those up. :)

There is a fairly significant performance difference between iGPU (say Iris Pro 6200) and a 750Ti. It is the difference between 1080p low and no AA versus 1080p High with AA. In AAA titles, playable and not playable. In other words, ugly but playable versus, 'how it should look' and playable or not playable at all versus playable.

Last edited:
Back