• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VR Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SniperJF

Registered
I got my HTC Vive and am buying several VR games, if anyone wants to hook up and play or wants me to answer any questions on any of the games I may have that you are deciding whether to buy or not go ahead and post.

Congratulations on the purchase, I think you're the first on OCF (or at least the first I've seen of someone saying they received a VR headset).

I've got a few questions for you!

What games are you buying? Are they room-scale games or sitting experiences? How much did the games cost?

Thanks a lot :)

So here is the list of games I have and how much they cost, I will edit the list if I forgot something:

-SteamVR (The software to use the Vive) (Free ofc)
-The lab*
-Out of Ammo $14.99
-Altspace VR**
-Bigscreen Beta**
-DCS World** (you buy more airplanes for $)
-H3VR $19.99
-Skeet VR Target**
-Surgeon Simulator**
-The Divergent Series VR**
-Hover Junkers $34.99
-Elite Dangerous: Arena $7.49
-Fantastic Contraptions*
-Tilt Brush*
-Job Simulator*
-Brookhaven Experiment Demo***
-Budget Cuts Demo***

*These were included with HTC Vive so I guess they are 'free' for vive owners, so if you buy an oculus rift, you may be able to purchase them down the line for some price, or free in the case of Tilt Brush (I think both Fantastic Contraptions and Job Simulator are coming to the Rift when Touch controllers are released)

**These are free on steam

***Free Demo

There is one more demo I tried that I can't remember the name but I'll post it later.
I also intend on buying Virtual Desktop(maybe), Space Pirate Trainer, Holopoint, Audioshield, Windlands VR, Some car driving simulator that supports the vive (Project Cars or LFS ) and Flyinside (so I can use it with FSX and P3D). No point in buying it all at once since I just bought H3VR but I've yet to play it :p

Anyway, ask away any specific questions about the above or suggest me a game to try out if there is something you have heard of that fancies you. So far my favorite is Hover Junkers due to the fact that it has Multiplayer and fighting/interacting other people is always more fun than by yourself and that dynamic of people doing different things each time is great. It's really an incredible experience that game. And quite a workout too... But they are all great fun and it's quite addicting.

About roomscale: All but Elite Dangerous: Arena, DSC World are roomscale in the sense that you use the Vive wands to grab stuff and move around the space and dont need mouse/keyboard/gamepad. But even in the above two you can technically stand up and walk around which is quite weird such as standing up on a flying ship in Elite and seeing outside can be scary if you fly past something.

The thing with roomscale is that you really just need arm width space + a bit more for safety, the rest is just added fun really. Such as in Hover Junkers having the extra room to crouch and maybe jump out of cover to shoot. But games like Fantastic Contraptions are build for about 2mX2m space so you never need to artificially move in the space and can live the full game in that square. So at the end of the day roomscale space adds but it doesnt mean you need it to enjoy the experience as long as you have enough space to safely move your hands without punching your monitor or kicking your CPU.

I've yet to try The Divergent Demo and Altspace VR/BigScreen Beta, and H3VR (will do as soon as I finish this post and report back).

Last edited:
Just got mine delivered today after work :) Was surprised by how huge the bog it came in was. Being in an apartment, I'm hesitant to mount the base stations to the walls. With one sitting on the shelf next to my desk and one on the printer behind me, they're not high enough to track very well, but I did entertain myself by painting a few helices around myself in tilt brush. Only thing that bugged me was the perspective was a bit off and I ended up hitting the headset with the controllers several times because they looked farther away than they were. Ordered a couple of camera light tripods so I can stand up and do stuff. Already worth every penny, though. Just going the the tutorial and shooting balloons out of my hands was great :)

Last edited:
Yeah it's pretty awesomr, that's strange you had issues with the perspective mine feel 1:1 maybe one you mount the lighthouses on the tripods at an angle it'll get better

Just got mine delivered today after work :) Was surprised by how huge the bog it came in was. Being in an apartment, I'm hesitant to mount the base stations to the walls. With one sitting on the shelf next to my desk and one on the printer behind me, they're not high enough to track very well, but I did entertain myself by painting a few helices around myself in tilt brush. Only thing that bugged me was the perspective was a bit off and I ended up hitting the headset with the controllers several times because they looked farther away than they were. Ordered a couple of camera light tripods so I can stand up and do stuff. Already worth every penny, though. Just going the the tutorial and shooting balloons out of my hands was great :)

What would go into wall mounting the base stations? I know in my apartment complex they don't mind basic screws/nails.

And general question - any nausea/headaches/strange guys trying to show you bitmaps of static/other general weirdness?

I have a question for you guys:

- Does the VR headset require vision in both eyes (i.e. stereoscopic vision)?

My right eye is 20/20, and my left eye is 20/800...was born that way...I can only read the big "E" on the chart with my left eye. Basically, if my right eye can see it, my brain doesn't register an image from my left eye. For example, peripheral vision is great on the left eye.

I can watch 3D movies, but can't "see" any 3D as my left eye doesn't 100% register the image.

What happens with the VR experience if you close one eye?

You still have the VR movement you just don't have a 3D movie experience, the 3D part will be like playing 3D games on your screen like you have now.

What would go into wall mounting the base stations? I know in my apartment complex they don't mind basic screws/nails.

Two screws to connect the wall plate, which attached to a ball joint. It came with plastic expansion thingies for the screws, but for whatever reason somebody decided the expansion thingies should be significantly bigger on the end the screw goes into. Kind of defeats the purpose of them since you'd have to drill a hole bigger than the expanding part will ever get to push them all the way into the wall, but then they wouldn't hold anything in. The wall studs of the room I want it in don't match up for attaching them without the expansion thingies. (And I know there's a word that means expansion thingy, but my brain is not cooperating right now.)

I am now using these and ]these, so I can adjust the height/area or even take the whole setup to my parents house.

And general question - any nausea/headaches/strange guys trying to show you bitmaps of static/other general weirdness?

Nope. Just that the lenses came dirty and I'm going to have to clean them at some point before I get annoyed. It it weren't so damn cool I'd be annoyed that I can see pixels, but the movement paired with 3D makes up for that. I'll probably be wasting money again as soon as they release a higher resolution Vive 2 or whatever :)

- Does the VR headset require vision in both eyes (i.e. stereoscopic vision)?

My right eye is 20/20, and my left eye is 20/800...was born that way...I can only read the big "E" on the chart with my left eye. Basically, if my right eye can see it, my brain doesn't register an image from my left eye. For example, peripheral vision is great on the left eye.

I can watch 3D movies, but can't "see" any 3D as my left eye doesn't 100% register the image.

Haven't tried closing an eye, but I've got a lazy eye and had no problem with it.

Last edited:
There are current studies being worked on where VR hmds with special software may help cure/treat lazy eye syndrome at the adult age where until now was thought to be a lost causs (iirc odds of fixing kazy eye syndrome with patches and special glasses decreases after childhood to almost none. So if you have a hmd check that out!

Think of this way. The same way you see the world in real life you will see in VR. If your left eye is so bad that you dont perceive depth in real life then you wont perceive depth in VR however because you are used to that condition in real life it wont be something you will miss.
I suspect that with glasses you can see a little bit out of the eye meaning you may perceive a little depth so that depth may be perceived, again same in real life, however the good,.or bad depending on your vision condition, is that the approximate focus distance for the lenses in the vive is about arm length, so 75cm or so if you are nearsighted that bad with your eye but have good vision upclose the ability to see at that distance may not be as bad as 3-4meters. What this means is that for example someone who cannot see far away but can see ok at 1m away (so people with small amount of nearsightedness) will see perfectly at all distsnces within VR! So you have a potential to perceove more depth at all distsnced within VR than in real life. This is also why in a cinema where the 3d glasses dont really help even if the objects pop out fully off the scene because ultimately the cinema screen is 20m away and thats where your eyes sre focuses. So if you want to know with your condition how much depth you can perceive wear 3d glasses in s home tv 75 or so cm away from it. Also they selll, vr lens, independent co. Lens addons for glasses so if your glasses dont fit or you want some special prescription you can do that.

I wrote this on a phone, sry for typos, hope it helps

Also Ive had no nausea with anything except a bit of strain with elite dangerous due ti a current bug with AA not working so it makes it hard to read text which ofc strains you a bit more. This conpared to google cardboard or a demo I tried in some chinese nockoff at e3 last year that really made me feel all dizzy after like 3min demo (interestingly the effects I felt after I took it off) that same day I tried rift and psvr, did valkyrie and had 0 problems. As for my vive like I said no issues, but havent tried any crazy locomotive effects, will do though, most ive done is flight sim spinning like crazy :p

Thanks for detailed reply! Gives me hope!

It would be great to tell my wife that I need to spend a few more hours today in eye therapy! :D

Back