• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oc amd 6200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gmack12

Sup guys, need a little help from you guys. I just started gaming a year ago and I built my own right but now I don't know how to overclock my cpu, here's my rig...

Amd fx 6200, 3.8 GHZ
Asus m5a78l-m lx plus
XFX radeon r7 360
Cooler Master hyper evo 212

I'm new to all this, but I've tried to YouTube and read up just found nothing I could understand, but I did get all the necessary software like cpu-z, core temp, and hwmonitor. Any help would be great thanks guys.

Your motherboard is not a good candidate for overclocking. Overclocking involves increasing the frequency at which the CPU operates. In order to support that there is at least one voltage that must be increased. Both of those put strain on the motherboard components and make them run hotter. The components on your motherboard that produce the power used by the CPU are not very strong. On top of that the AMD FX CPUs draw a lot of power when you start to overclock them.

Having said all that, you may be able to get a mild overclock on your system but don't expect too much. Your CPU cooler is decent so that is in your favor.

The process involves:
1. increasing the CPU core speed multiplier by 1x increments
2. Testing for stability after each change in the multiplier. Most of us use the blend test in Prime95 for this. Run it for 20 minutes. If you can pass the stress test for 20 minutes, you are at least tentatively stable.
3. Monitoring for "package" temps. We use the non pro version of HWMonitor around here. You don't want your package temps to exceed about 60-65c.
4. Monitoring for CPUTIN temps. This is the socket temp of the motherboard. You want this one to stay below 70c. HWMonitor again.
5. If you fail the Prime95 stress test (blue screen, lockup, spontaneous restart, or Prime95 core workers drop out), add .025 volts to the CPU core voltage, what we call "vcore" around here, and retest.

That should get you started. You may have to put your oveclocking controls on "Manual" to see the tools you need in bios.

Lots of good info here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ormance-Scaling-Charts-max-OCs)LN2-Results-co As trents said, your motherboard will likely hold you back before your cooling. Getting sufficient stable voltage will be the hurdle, followed by VRM (mobo power supply) cooling. None of which means you shouldn't try! Let us know how it goes and if you hit a wall there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here willing to help.

I top out at 4400 MHz with my board. No amount of voltage will move it up, but it does 4400 on default volts with zero temp problems. I can get 4500 but not stable at all (BSOD in minutes).

The point is the board isn't holding anything back. It's the cooling.

Air is cooling. Liquid is cooling and DryIce is cooling. Each one is better than the last.

The board however is not different. It's capable with the proper cooling solutions.

However I won't argue that overclocking anything low or high end can degrade hardware.

Got a fist full of subs on this board. All cooling limited perhaps voltage after a certain point around 2.0v

This statement is false. It's the other way around truthfully.

Here's FX-8350 on DryIce with the Exact same motherboard the Original Poster is using.

http://valid.canardpc.com/accq5v

View attachment 178780

I stand corrected. :) I was basing my opinion on my experience with a FX 6xxx chip. I got some CPU VID wobblies at higher voltages and never could get stable above 4400 MHz, but I never ran in to a cooling problem with the CPU no matter how high I cranked up the volts. Learn something new every day. :thup:

The board is completely under rated.

It's just easier for users to say "your board is a problem" then it is to address a cooling solution for users with lower end boards.

FX-6 series I ran with a Sabortooth 990FX. The OC experience was the same as it was with M5A board.

By that logic you could say that about most motherboards. Okay, then he should get some aftermarket mosfet sinks and attach some spot fans.

By that logic you could say that about most motherboards. Okay, then he should get some aftermarket mosfet sinks and attach some spot fans.

That's what I'm trying to say for the most part yes.

We suggest this type of cooling and modification for those with expensive boards.... why not help people work with what they already have?

Sure a warning here and there. Some good information goes a long way....

But when I was told the Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS couldn't do 2.0v, I didn't have any issues really. Just had to get crafty. Pulls off 7685mhz LN2 with 4+1 VRMs. http://valid.canardpc.com/cih7iw

Also we should comment that Asus makes a superior motherboard. Even the low end ones.

I think you are correct in saying that Asus makes a superior board when comparing boards in the same class. Somewhat makes up for their lousy customer service.

Back