• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd fx 8350 still good enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbobooster196

Hello guys, i will ask you somthing, is a amd fx 8350 still good enough for mostley gaming.

I know intel is faster and ddr4 for the skylake etc, etc i know all of that, but i have a fx 8350 running at 4.4ghz with a msi 970 mobo, and a r9 390 gaming and i must say i dont can not say it runs slow in games, so what i youre thoughts?

It's fine to run this and wait until ZEN is released to see what the new AMD offerings are. No reason to change anything at this point. Expect release in October.

Yup the FX 8core monsters are still good You could also try overclocking it a bit higher if your cooling and Vcore allows :)

Buying into Intel with DDR4 is not cheap at all, buddy of mine just dropped over $800 in upgrades from an i5 3340 to an i5 6600k + ASRock Extreme 4 and he chose to stick with his DDR3 RAM too!

Yup the FX 8core monsters are still good You could also try overclocking it a bit higher if your cooling and Vcore allows :)

Buying into Intel with DDR4 is not cheap at all, buddy of mine just dropped over $800 in upgrades from an i5 3340 to an i5 6600k + ASRock Extreme 4 and he chose to stick with his DDR3 RAM too!

oke thanks for your response, but overclocking any higher is not possible i think, i have a msi 970 mobo, and for 4.4ghz i need 1.45v and at the moment i have to cool it with a hyper tx 3 cooler master.

pump more air to cool it, keep on gaming on what you've got.
if it games to a level you are enjoying it, there is no reason to change.

pump more air to cool it, keep on gaming on what you've got.
if it games to a level you are enjoying it, there is no reason to change.

beside getting another cooler for the cpu, i think i got enough air comming in the case, i have the cooler master haf xm, 1 200mm fan in the front, 2 x 140mm fans in the top, 2 120mm fans in the door

with a 970 board????? YUP!!!
well, any motherboard with a tower type cooler or waterblock, you have removed direct airflow.

with a 970 board????? YUP!!!
well, any motherboard with a tower type cooler or waterblock, you have removed direct airflow.

but like you can see on the picture, i do have som direct airflow over the vrms

auutmc.jpg

the 2 140mm fans blow air in, and 1 is direct over the vrms

my temps (if correct) at 4.3ghz while gaming Coretemp according to coretemp 42 degrees celsius (playing bf4 at 4.4ghz and ambien temp around 24 degrees will give 60 degrees on the core, and 50 on the tmpin 1)

my tmpin temps according to hardware monitor are

tmpin 0 arround 40 degrees

tmpin 1 45 degrees

tmpin 2 35 degrees.

i have cool and quit enabled, and also the cstates are enabled.

Last edited:
That 22$ cooler does you no justice at all. Gotta find better cooling solutions. Very important to get that 60c temp down and it won't happen with this Cooler master TX 3 hyper evo.

85 bucks H100i GTX extreme. Getcha closer to say 4.8ghz. Get that Frame rate up a little!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0&cm_re=liquid_cooling-_-35-181-090-_-Product

i know that cooler sucks haha, (it will be replaced) and getting that temp below 60 is no problem, that why i, am not on 4.4ghz but on 4.2ghz

cooler will be replaced tommorow with cooler master nepton 120xl

Last edited:
i know that cooler sucks haha, (it will be replaced) and getting that temp below 60 is no problem, that why i, am not on 4.4ghz but on 4.2ghz

cooler will be replaced tommorow with cooler master nepton 120xl

Should have went with a 120.2 radiator. That one will do much better than air cooling however. But you could have done better with that money.

Should have went with a 120.2 radiator. That one will do much better than air cooling however. But you could have done better with that money.

dont no if i could done better for that money, i payed 50 euro,s for it brand new, its nice to now some guys at cooler master and livving close to a cooler master depot.
And i must say before with the tx3 evo running intel burn test at 4.2ghz 1.35v the temp was 60 degrees celsius, now with this cooler i did the test again with the same settings, and its getting no 30 degrees under load, so now i whent up to 4.5ghz 1.45v and run intelburn test again, at the fans set at 60% speed so the are quit the temp reached 50 degrees celsius, so for sombody that likes to overclock for a setting 24/7 use and not a die, hard overclocker i think its not bad.

Also i tried to go higher (4.6ghz) but i need close to 1.5v dont forgett i only have a 970 chipset.

But now my next quastion, before on the intel clu,s i had, if i overclocked thim i let him run all the time at full speed, so i disabled al the power options, but now with this 1, i dont now that much of amd, i have cool & quit en c-states, enabled, the only reason i do that is because i,m not use to 1.45v haha, i never had that much voltage on my intel cpu,s haha.

so is it oke to leave it all the time at that vcore, ore is it better to leave cool % quit enabled.

I run mine crunching 24-7 at 4.8ghz and around 1.45 Vcore. It has been like that for months. I have a 240mm water cooler and my temps hit 60 from time to time, but usually hang in the high 40's to low 50's. I have all the power saving crap off. I have actually ran mine quite a bit hotter sustained, closer to 70, but would not recommend it to anyone.

I run mine crunching 24-7 at 4.8ghz and around 1.45 Vcore. It has been like that for months. I have a 240mm water cooler and my temps hit 60 from time to time, but usually hang in the high 40's to low 50's. I have all the power saving crap off. I have actually ran mine quite a bit hotter sustained, closer to 70, but would not recommend it to anyone.

4.8 with that voltage i could not do, i have with that voltage, 4.5ghz
And i know its stable at that, just did a qiuck run so you can see my core temp, ist in celsius.

dlm6ux.png.jpg

power settings disabled now, is that look oke to you?

I run all the green stuff on mine at 5.2 ghz, why hit it with big vcore when it's doing nothing??????
get it stable and cool for full load then bring in the green stuff and let the rig relax.

Back