• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Mini PC should one be looking at?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I will be moving at some point in the future, and that means a change in my current setup.

I dont often, but i do end up using my PC on the TV, and i would like a mini PC for use on my TV. I would like the coreM5 Intel stick, but its just too pricey.

I have my Surface with the CoreM3, and I'm fairly happy with the performance for my use. I would like a tiny bit more power and ram for an option for TV use, as i do sit down and play Banished or maybe the GF would play The Sims on it.

There a number of units to pick from, but which should i be avoiding and which should i be looking? Intel NUC? Gigabyte Brix? Asus? Other?

A point in a direction would be great.

Since you mentioned gaming on it, something like a Gigabyte BXi5G-760 Gaming Brix with the Iris Pro graphics might fit your needs.

With gaming, i do believe its a minimal, since i still have my main rig for gaming, and 2x 980gtx should hold up fine, Gaming is NOT key, but running maybe The Sims 4 would be the max, but doesnt need to run it in 4k or anything.

I have had a look at Intels NUC, and i do like them, but the Price jump from the base Pentium to the i5 is stupid, and i dont need i5 power.

As i said, my Surface CoreM3 runs everything i need just fine, it runs Banished flawless, and im happy with that, they should stick the CoreM3 or 5 in a NUC..

If you are still going to have your main PC, you can also look at the Steam boxes and the NVIDIA Shield boxes.

The game runs on your main machine, and streams to the cheaper box.

I don't personally have one yet, but my plan is to get the NVIDIA shield boxes soon...$199 currently on Amazon.

If you are still going to have your main PC, you can also look at the Steam boxes and the NVIDIA Shield boxes.

The game runs on your main machine, and streams to the cheaper box.

I don't personally have one yet, but my plan is to get the NVIDIA shield boxes soon...$199 currently on Amazon.

Gaming is last on the list of uses, we are talking less than 2%. I have my pc, Xbox One and PS4, so gaming is honestly last on the list.

But i am looking for somthing with power around the CoreM3, but a bit better, yet not all the way up there with an i5, since i dont need that much power, and the budget doest go that far anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

I like my HP Stream Mini (now discontinued) here's the updated version:
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-300-240-Desktop-Celeron/dp/B016K0AAFI/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Works just fine. Although the HDD is pretty small, I'm going to upgrade mine to a 256GB msata SSD soon to get the free win10 upgrade from 8.1

It looks nice, but given the amount of HP hardware i have seen die over the past many many years, i would never consider getting an HP.

I have sat down now, looked around, the Intel NUC seems to catch my eyes the most, it comes with the i3 that i believe will make me happy, since i dont want Celeron or i5.
Price wise, i can get the Intel NUC6i3SYK or the Gigabyte Brix (there are 2 version available where i live) One has 3rd, and one has 4th gen i3, while the NUC come with 6th, DDR4 slots and basically the most up to date, and it manages to be the cheapest of the 3. I am blowing my budget, since i need to get M.2 SSD and ram for it, but i am also getting what i want.

So i think i'll leave it at that. Input still welcome, but i do think i will make the order within the next few hours.

Update -

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Intel NUC6i3SYK with i3 6th Gen, SanDisk Z400s M.2 and I went with Kingston HyperX Impact DDR4-2133 SC 8Gb.

Last edited:
Somehow this just had to go wrong. I have a long 4 day weekend, and i wanted to play with the mini pc there, but it has been delayed in shipping :(

Back