• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where do you shop for GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P A U L

Registered
So, I've been trying to chase down a MSI GTX 660ti 3GB, and found it surprising that the only ones I find are so god awful expensive. The first one I bought was over 50% cheaper than what's available on the "market."

Where else do you guys look when shopping for used GPU? I've only recently began to venture into forums, and even then, I'm on only 2 sites. I'd like to expand my field.

Forums, Newegg.com, amazon.com, etc...

You are buying an old budget GPU from 3+ years ago, so it can tend to fetch a premium since it isn't being produced anymore.

Personally, I would save your money and go with one card of the new generation(s). I don't see a point in getting a 3 generation old card for SLI at this time.

You are buying an old budget GPU from 3+ years ago, so it can tend to fetch a premium since it isn't being produced anymore.

Personally, I would save your money and go with one card of the new generation(s). I don't see a point in getting a 3 generation old card for SLI at this time.

Yep completely agreed. I wouldn't begin looking at anything that was more than a generation old on normal websites (like Amazon/Newegg/etc) because the only people still selling are third parties and will charge whatever they want for it that is likely well above MSRP or average cost for a much faster card.

If you are dead set on finding a 660ti you can try looking on various forums, craigslist, or ebay. Ultimately I would be looking at a more recent card though.

thanks. my choice for the 660 ti was because i dont intend to game on it, and it was the first in the GTX line to have a single card support 3 monitors. and i figured, i may as well double up and get SLI... but found that getting a second card was damn expensive. i then somehow ended up finding a 3GB version...which made it even harder to find a second for low cost. i started looking around on forums but don't have access to their classifieds (yet) and slowly trying to build up rep to access the classifies while not pissing off the mods/admins.

craigslist doesn't have it :(
amazon has it for WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overpriced. it was where i found the first one for way cheap.. way way cheap. neither does ebay... at least not MSI.

You don't game... sooooooooooooooo why would you get another card in the first place? Did I miss something?

Yeah... save your money. Wait for the new gen stuff coming out in the next month or so. Either wait for some price drops on last gen stuff, or grab something new. But don't go SLI with that old card... it will be more hassle than it is worth, honestly.

i think i'll be ok with replacing the 660ti with a 980ti then. i'm no enthusiast and have no real need to wait for next gen.

any of you guys know of deals/promos i should be mindful of when purchasing a new gpu? something like fatwallet deals?

I generally keep an eye on reddit.com/r/buildapcsales and slickdeals for those kind of deals. I would wait a few weeks as the new Pascal cards will be getting released and likely drop the price of the 980ti at least a bit. Granted you can generally find them now for around $500-525 if you look around at various sales/promo codes/etc.

So far, I mainly just check eBay and this forum for used parts.

Though there are no doubt several other places ((H)ardforum, HWBOT (likely heavily overclocked parts that have led a hard life), and the teksyndicate forum selling section are a few others I can think of off the top of my head.

Newegg has good deals now because of the new gen cards coming out soon. Evga has transferable warranty for buying used cards.

Amazon.

Every time I have checked a component, their prices are the same or lower than Newegg.

As an Amazon Prime member, I get free shipping. Most items I can get the next day for free. A lot of items I can get same day for free.

As a Newegg Premier member, I might get free shipping if I ordered on an odd numbered day, whose name didn't end in "day", and there was a total solar eclipse. I might get 2 day delivery...and they just may process my order the day I enter it.

Also, Amazon's return policy is great.

I get mine here, on eBay or I pickup open box video cards at my local Microcenter. I don't use Amazon enough to bribe them into good customer service by paying yearly for Prime. Without Prime, they are not very fast at shipping things. Christmas 2014 I bought a gift for someone in Florida. Amazon had it in stock in the local warehouse but waited nine days before shipping it. So it arrived exactly at their 10 maximum shipping time, and after Christmas. I generally only order through Amazon when the actual vendor does the shipping. Bought quite a few Toyota parts for my son-in-law's 4Runner that way and the Toyota dealer ships the same or next day.

Newegg has a good reputation. However, I live in Poland, and we have that huge marketplace called Allegro (allegro.pl), where you can buy tons of used stuff, including a lot from PC shops that actually specialize in testing and reselling used components with warranty added, which is slightly more expensive, if at all, but so much more reliable. For many people I suppose E-bay would play a similar role, though I don't even go there, having Allegro. Being in the same jurisdiction makes scams so much less likely.

i usually look on newegg for PC stuff, while comparing prices to amazon as well. not a fan of paying shipping fees to newegg lol.

i generally avoid buying anything "used" on ebay.

i usually look on newegg for PC stuff, while comparing prices to amazon as well. not a fan of paying shipping fees to newegg lol.

i generally avoid buying anything "used" on ebay.

Any particular reason why? I've bought three videocards off of ebay, two auctions went off without a hitch, one of them ended up having the seller refund me my purchase price because the GTX 780 got lost in a USPS shipping black hole somewhere N. of Andromeda.

Any particular reason why? I've bought three videocards off of ebay, two auctions went off without a hitch, one of them ended up having the seller refund me my purchase price because the GTX 780 got lost in a USPS shipping black hole somewhere N. of Andromeda.

contrary to my original statement, i have actually purchased 2 used gpu on ebay in the past. but i generally view ebay as a place for people to sell broken things as "used" with listings that have embellished descriptions which highlights what is not broken... any way, my 2 purchases on ebay have been...acceptable lol. no problems so far (for GPU only).

Agreed... wait to find someone selling a 660ti used that will likely not want much for it at all... or just upgrade to a newer gen right now. Basically... wait/hunt or upgrade.

So far, I mainly just check eBay and this forum for used parts.

Though there are no doubt several other places ((H)ardforum, HWBOT (likely heavily overclocked parts that have led a hard life), and the teksyndicate forum selling section are a few others I can think of off the top of my head.

Awesome... thanks for the forum list. I was going to ask lol. Overclock.net also has a classfied section but its pretty small.
Amazon.

Every time I have checked a component, their prices are the same or lower than Newegg.

As an Amazon Prime member, I get free shipping. Most items I can get the next day for free. A lot of items I can get same day for free.

As a Newegg Premier member, I might get free shipping if I ordered on an odd numbered day, whose name didn't end in "day", and there was a total solar eclipse. I might get 2 day delivery...and they just may process my order the day I enter it.

Also, Amazon's return policy is great.

I love my Amazon Prime and all the features you outlined. However, in regards to computer parts I have had the opposite experience. I tend to find Newegg's prices lower and discounted items more frequently. I do hate the mail-in rebates. I haven't had to return anything to NE yet, but no one can beat Amazon's return policy as long as you buy the item from a Prime rated store (not second hand amazon).

Back