• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clone RAID to SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stool

Hi. My current striped, mirrored RAID array has a problem hd. I have several new, larger hd's available, so I'd like to gong the array after cloning it to one of the larger discs. The array is NOT
the system drive. Any solutions?

If it isn't the system drive why not just hook up the drive you want everything on and copy it like you would move any file or folder?

If it isn't the system drive why not just hook up the drive you want everything on and copy it like you would move any file or folder?

That's what I would do. Otherwise you may end up with weird issues with sectors and such that would get copied depending on the level of clone. Rsync/copy-paste would likely be the easiest method.

Posted without complete info. To save space on my system drive, I have installed several program files to the RAID, several of which I no longer have serial#s for.

Posted without complete info. To save space on my system drive, I have installed several program files to the RAID, several of which I no longer have serial#s for.

You can likely find those in registry keys, there's also applications that can scour your drive for that info too. Just an fyi, it's probably somewhere!

I have a separate QNAP RAID array...for this situation I would do the following:

- Replace bad drive with larger drive
- Rebuild array
- Replace next drive with larger drive
- Rebuild array
- etc.

When I'm finished, the QNAP box would say "hey, you have space left over here"...and then I could either add a new volume/LUN or increase the size of an existing one.

Will this work for you?

I was using macrium reflect to clone array to single drive and back. It was almost always working. Soft has free trial so you can try it. However you can simply replace faulty drive and it will rebuild as others said ... usually it takes a lot of time.

Just a followup. Removed one disc from array and replaced, then reconstructed the RAID. Did the same with the other disc, and everything is functioning normally.

Back