• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why dont manufactures overclock memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

Tons of manufacturers overclock the core on their GPUs, but no one seems to overclock the RAM. Most modern video cards have tons of overclock potential on their RAM chipsets. On my GTX 970 I am able to get an 800 MHZ effective overclock on the RAM with minimal effort. I could probably get around 1 GHz. with some more effort. So, why not overclock the RAM too from the factory?

Likely because memory frequency is rarely sited in the item description as opposed to the core clock speeds. That different cards of the same brand/model can have different RAM providers leading to very very inconsistent overclocking potential (290x you had Elpida and Hynix, Elpida maxing out around 1200-1250mhz and Hynix can sometimes hit 1500mhz). Those speed differences among others could make it more difficult. Ignoring that, there isn't generally as much of a performance increase when increasing memory speed as there with with core speed is many circumstances.

someone knows
3 hours later in the middle of the night you expected an answer???

NVIDIA/partners in particular has seemed to stop doing that. IMO, some of this has to do with the need and the return. In most cases, there isn't a need to do it, specifically if you are at 1080p/1440p resolutions. Once you start getting to 5760x1080, or 4K, memory bandwidth becomes a concern. In most cases, the gains are pretty minimal anyway, particularly when compared to what the core does.

+ what Don said for sure. Different brands of memory even on the same vendor's card.

Last edited:
Also, it will add cost to their manufacturing process to verify the memory speed. That cost would be passed on in the price of the card.

I would say it's just a business decision as the gain from memory speed increase is much less than the gain from GPU speed increase...same as on the CPU.

Most memory is overclocked when it is not running JEDEC and it is running XMP specifications.

Most memory is overclocked when it is not running JEDEC and it is running XMP specifications.
not sure the same standards are for GDDR.

Also, I cant say i want to go down that hole, particularly in a thread about GDDR, about the memory being overclocked if it's XMP. That means, for ddr4 for example, that nearly every stick is overclocked that isn't 2133mhz. XMP is, for all intents and purposes, stock. Those sticks are absolutely 100% stable (outsode of bad sticks) at xmp settings. Everything ABOVE that is what most would consider overclocking.

Last edited:
Back