• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x970 vs 3 680's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peugot

hello, i have 2 970's i use now, and i have 3 680's that i dont use. its hard to find stats about these setups. what would give me most computing power to use ? 2x 970 sli or 3x680 sli?

the 680's are one asus directcu II TOP and the other are reference, the 970's are both reference if it matters

it looks like the 680 is one notch over a 280x, taking a quick look at reviews, so yea, 2 970's.
more vram and less watts and heat.
if you have the option a single 980 will be better than 2 970's, at least mine is.

What are you looking for for computing power? For games, applications, folding?

its just in general, i do play games and some editing(not much). i just want most horsepower from this system and will soon use the other solution for a pc in my livingroom that will just be used on one TV. the main one needs to push my triplescreen in all my tasks

it looks like the 680 is one notch over a 280x, taking a quick look at reviews, so yea, 2 970's.
more vram and less watts and heat.
if you have the option a single 980 will be better than 2 970's, at least mine is.

no can do, all the cards mentioned are already in the house :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have triple screens, you will want to use the 970's regardless simply because of vRAM. 680's, typically, have 2GB while the 970 has 4GB(3.5GB 'fast').

I assume you are running 1080p on the single monitor... I wouldn't use 3 680's there for sure. So much power use, potential noise, scaling issues, etc, its just not worth the hassle for 1080p. A 680 or two will be plenty. Also consider selling the 3 680's for a single card that uses 1/3 the power (thinking GTX 960 or a used 970).

An exception is that the 3 680s will do better with double precision compute. Which is basically not used in gaming and rarely used in GPGPU applications you're likely to come across.

Back