• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU XP or MP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just shoot

I'm going to by a new chip and been debating on this for a couple of days. Wondered if the MP's crunch any faster than the XP. Their's ony one instance in the benchmark database and its a 1.2. I'm curious how fast one of the MP's crunch say a 1900 or so. I thought they came already unlocked but I'm not positive, this would make for a quick OC.

everything else equal, mobo, memory, etc.

100% the same!! since there's no techincally difference between XP & MP. phyiscally, the newer XP has their bridge cut to disable the SMP mode on them. MP is factory unlocked.

but performance wise, they r the same.

They're exactly the same chip. Only difference is some of the XP's now come with one of the L5 bridges cut so they won't work properly in smp until the bridge is closed.

And the other difference is the MP's are certified and guaranteed to work beyond a shadow of a doubt without any problems whatsoever in SMP Rigs. The quality of an MP Chip is higher as well as the stress testing.

J :cool:

SpeeDj said:
And the other difference is the MP's are certified and guaranteed to work beyond a shadow of a doubt without any problems whatsoever in SMP Rigs. The quality of an MP Chip is higher as well as the stress testing.

They're certified not to have the L5 bridge cut lol. They don't overclock any better, so I'm not sure why they would have passed more rigorous stress testing. I think it's simply AMD's way of charging a lot more for the same thing. Just like P4 xeons cost a lot more but are basically the same as a regular P4 with smp enabled. Of course with P4's there's no known way of getting them to run in smp, and no socket 478 dual boards that I know of.

AMD has stated as have many others that not every XP is able to do SMP very well, but the MP's are guaranteed to do it and do it well. Some of the XP's just are not dual worthy chips and unless you have money to go out and try another one, or a nice vendor in the area willing to let you swap chips it's a safer bet to go with the MP's out of the box. Me I am an adventurous one, so when the time comes I will try my luck.

Well that seems to be one heck of a scam. I would have thought that they might have a bigger cache but they don't even have that.:mad: Thanks guys for the response, the seti gods come through again.

SpeeDj said:
AMD has stated as have many others that not every XP is able to do SMP very well, but the MP's are guaranteed to do it and do it well. Some of the XP's just are not dual worthy chips and unless you have money to go out and try another one, or a nice vendor in the area willing to let you swap chips it's a safer bet to go with the MP's out of the box. Me I am an adventurous one, so when the time comes I will try my luck.

Is buying an XP's rather than an MP any more of a gamble than pumping 2.02v through the CPU or taking a soldering iron to brand new perfectly good motherboard?

From my experience I'd say that it's a good bet.

Is buying an XP's rather than an MP any more of a gamble than pumping 2.02v through the CPU or taking a soldering iron to brand new perfectly good motherboard?

From my experience I'd say that it's a good bet.

LOL:D

There's no risk of damaging anything by trying an XP. If it doesn't work you just sell the chips.

Back