• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Oldie" but goodie! What to upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syypher

Hi all! I have a great computer that's been running almost everything I've thrown at it for the past couple years at ultra/high settings. Recently I've been having to clock the graphics down a bit to medium/high which still isn't bad at all. However, I'm trying to see if there are any upgrades ($500 total or under) that I can do to really bump up my computers power without causing any substantial bottle necks.

Not really looking to build a completely new computer. I'd really rather just upgrade this rig.

If there is anything that really stands out that may be bottle necking/ underwhelming my setup, please let me know. Or if there are any suggestions to replace/ upgrade that will substantially boost my overall computer's performance please suggest away! :D Thank you!

Current setup:
Windows 7 x64
Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD 256GB (OS + primary games)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 4GB
Intel i5-4670K @ 3.4GHz
8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws X Series RAM
ASRock Z87 Extreme3 LGA1150
WD Blue 1TB (data + secondary games)
Rosewill 630 Watt Green Series Power Supply

I would say get a new gpu when Pascal comes out. If it was my system I would also be looking at a new psu as I am weary of rosewill units.

You could also overclock that cpu to get some better performance. I don't know what heatsink you are currently using but if you are on the stock Intel one it would be worth picking up a 212 evo to give yourself some headroom to overclock with.

So to sum it all up. I would attack the upgrade in the following order.

Upgrade psu .

Overclock that cpu, upgrade the heatsink if needed.

Spend whatever is left of your budget on a new gpu.

Last edited:
What resolution are you gaming at?
Definitely replace the PSU.

Upgrade the GPU if you don't have a virus or malware slowing you down. Did you have a new game that you can't run your settings on max?

Agree with upgrade PSU, processor cooling, and CPU overclock...then go for graphics card.

A 4670k is an "oldie"? Is it overclocked? You don't say that it is but that would be a performance upgrade that costs nothing except it might require a cooling upgrade.

A 4670k is an "oldie"? Is it overclocked? You don't say that it is but that would be a performance upgrade that costs nothing except it might require a cooling upgrade.

He specifies it is running 3.4GHz.

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful info guys!

Any PSU that is the "baseline" for good right now? (Mine has been running great for the past 3 years)
CPU is currently not overclocked but I could mess around with that. It is stock right now and also with a stock Intel fan. What cooling should I get for it? Is there a good heatsink/fan setup that jumps to you guys? Something that is the "overclockers standard" or something. Or do I have to go liquid?

Upgrading the GPU sounds good. I can do this slowly to make it a little easier on the budget and do this GPU later down the line.

Would going to 16gb of RAM see substantial performance increase?

I play most games at 1080p

Last edited:
The EVGA G2 series of PSU's are absolutely awesome.

Again, what resolution are you gaming at?

To recommend a heatsink for you we need to know what case you have.

You'll only see benefits from adding more RAM if you're using all of your RAM capacity currently.

The EVGA G2 series of PSU's are absolutely awesome.

Again, what resolution are you gaming at?

To recommend a heatsink for you we need to know what case you have.

You'll only see benefits from adding more RAM if you're using all of your RAM capacity currently.

I posted it in my last post but I play at 1080p usually. 1920x1080 resolution.
This is the case I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

Thanks for your help.

I'd get a GTX 970 (commonly on sale around $300 on Newegg daily sales) and EVGA G2 550W to start with.

For the heatsink, you need to stay under 175mm tall, so you can use basically anything.
If you're just wanting to get a mild overclock, the 212 EVO will do nicely without breaking the bank.
If you want something quieter and to push a heavier overclock, a Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D15 would be ideal.

4670k even at stock is still capable of playing what ever you want , as stated above I would get a Pascal when they release in a few months .

Actually you will only see gaming performance increase now with a new GPU upgrade. The overclocking of the CPU will help when you have a new GPU, a hyper 212 evo will do fine up to 4.5GHz oc of the CPU.

Do you have a new game that you can't play on max settings?

id save the money on the new power supply and get the cooler, its a solid unit, nothing wrong with it. it might not score a 10/10 like an $80-90 550w 80+gold unit but there is nothing wrong with it, and it can do the full 630 watts if he needs it.
its not like its a diablotek or logisys.

With that case you will not be limited when choosing an air cooler. The case is wide so it will accommodate any air cooler on the market. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo is always a lot of bang for the buck but there are even more potent coolers if you want to spend $70 or so like the Noctua D14-D15.

I'd get a GTX 970 (commonly on sale around $300 on Newegg daily sales) and EVGA G2 550W to start with.

For the heatsink, you need to stay under 175mm tall, so you can use basically anything.
If you're just wanting to get a mild overclock, the 212 EVO will do nicely without breaking the bank.
If you want something quieter and to push a heavier overclock, a Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D15 would be ideal.

Wait and see what nvidia and AMD are doing with their new cards ;) this month we should know better!

Wait and see what nvidia and AMD are doing with their new cards ;) this month we should know better!

I can tell you, with certainty, the new GPU's won't beat a 970 for performance/dollar at 1080p.

Thanks you guys! I'm going to get a 212 and OC my CPU. Then going to get a 970 probably around July or when the price drops a little. Appreciate the great advice and help!

Back