• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.75 gb out of 4 gb ram installed! (old ddr2 pc)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aditya781

Registered
I upgraded my pc ( a bit) by installing some cheap hardware so that I can play... GTA 5 on it ( don't laugh, it is possible). These are my specs -
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Nvidia Geforce 210 1 gb
Intel e6750 2.66 ghz processor
320 gb hdd (160+160)
4 gb ram 800 mhz (2+2)
Jetway 945gcm2s-a2-6h motherboard

The problem is that I get only 2.75 gb out of 4 gb ram. I have looked everywhere on the Internet but couldn't find a solution. Unlike the others who had this problem, in my case its simply written 2.75 gb ram in computer's properties ( not 4 gb and 2.75 usable).
The missing 1.25 gb is not even allocated to the graphics card! I couldn't find the web page for my motherboard so I dont know how to allocate ram on my motherboard ( if I can't use it atleast the graphics card would). All I want is to get that 1.25 gb of ram in use to improve performance. If it is unused, how can I allocate it to graphics card? Or how do I get 4 gb ram as a whole? Am I mistaken, is the ram actually allocated to the gpu? How do I do it if there's no such option in the BIOS? Plz help me quick! I really need that unused resource back in any form ( graphics or memory)!

Plz note, I will not spend any money AT ALL. If I had so much money, I would have bought a new motherboard but I DID NOT and I CANNOT.

Check for a later motherboard BIOS update, that was a common issue a few years ago.

First thing I would do is swap the sticks of RAM in their slots. See if one of the sticks now shows all its RAM. If that changes nothing, I would run 1 stick at a time to see if its actually a stick that is not reporting its full 2GB.

You could also try installing CPU-Z and checking the memory tabs for information. Start there and report back!

Ok I will look for one. I may answer hours later. I am having electricity problems at my place.. Damn you Indian Monsoon!

Ok I got a ZIP file of the bios. Its AWARD BIOS. The zip has 3 files and a readme file (awdflash.exe, gc2s6ao5.bin and gc2s6ao5.bat). I remember trying this in the past when I had 32 bit os, as written in the readme I launched the BAT file, the cmd window opened for a fraction of a second and closed, I couldn't read the text in the window as it terminated so quickly. I was confused if it installed the bios or not and forgot about it. Now when I have to do it again, any suggestions how to do it?
Still no electricity so I may not reply soon.
I am using my phone for posting.

You need to run the .exe file in windows for this to work. Another way to do this (If windows 7 decides not to play nice) is to boot to a command prompt and run the .bat file from there.

More info.

Good luck

I tried what Blaylock said, but the award flash utility is not compatible with 64 bit it says. I cant run it. I looked for the latest version (8.99) but still the same problem. The download page said its compatible with both (32 & 64) but my pc does not agree with that.
Will creating a freedos usb stick fix this problem? I dont think so because the flash utility is the one which is run by the bat file.

awdflash.exe is NOT the 64-bit-supporting winflash.exe. awdflash.exe is, AFAIK, a 16-bit DOS program which cannot be executed when the CPU is in amd64 mode, and generally you don't want to run it from Windows anyway because it isn't written to work around Windows interference with system operations.

Ok, I made a bootable usb stick. I am afraid a little if anything goes wrong. Is it safe? Are these the right bios ( the link is in Blaylock's post)? And when I had to install windows 7 with a bootable usb, I was unable to do so because my pc doesn't have usb 2.0 port which is required for installing windows with a usb stick. Is it required here too? I need some assurance.

One more thing. I cannot identify what type of device it is now ( what I have to set in first boot device). It is not a USB-HDD anymore. So what is it (USB-FDD,USB-CDROM,USB-ZIP,FDD, CDROM etc.)?
And plz tell me its safe.

One more thing. I cannot identify what type of device it is now ( what I have to set in first boot device). It is not a USB-HDD anymore. So what is it (USB-FDD,USB-CDROM,USB-ZIP,FDD, CDROM etc.)?
And plz tell me its safe.

Try USB-FDD first. It's been a while since I've used a board where you had to manually change boot order in BIOS to choose what to boot :) If it doesn't work, you could try the most recent version of winflash (1.94).

Last edited:
I would recommend doing it in the dos prompt then. Prior to Windows booting. There is no 64/32 bit of to worry about then. You'll need to figure out how to get into dos at post though. IIRC win 7 doesn't have that option. You might need to use a boot disk.... (ugh I know)

Last edited:
I will try all those first boot options.
Getting a boot disk might be a problem, but I'll see what I can do.
I may not post anything today, I am currently installing GTA 5 and its taking an eternity (not literally) to install.

Ok, so the gta 5 is installed. I tried some low end pc mods. The graphics settings were super low but so was the performance. And it crashed a lot.
The bootable usb stick is not getting booted through first boot device.
So how do I make a ms-dos boot disk? Or a free dos boot disk?

Ok I had a re-read of the full thread here. Since you're having difficulties getting a boot disk let's try some of the easy checks that have been recommended. Flashing your bios is safe if done properly. There is a risk of bricking your motherboard if done improperly though. You should understand and accept that risk if you decide to proceed down that path.

Some easy tests that have been suggested earlier were to download CPU-Z (free) and post a screen shot of the CPU, Memory, & SPD tabs. This will show us exactly what's going on in your system. Another good suggestion is to try swapping the ram around to different slots or eliminating one or more entirely.

2.75Gb almost sounds like mis-matched ram. I can't remember any ram sold at such an odd rating. Mis-matching can cause a whole slew of issues, not reading properly is one of them. Verify the ram kit is a matching set. I.e. same brand, model, timings, & serial number.

We can go back down the bios path later if everything else checks out normal

here are the screenshots-
1.png scrnsht1.png scrnsht3.png scrnsht4.png scrnsht5.png
Also the win98 ms-dos usb worked, but I did not install the BIOS.
I dont think its a ram mis-match because my friend has the same ram sticks and he has all 4 gb.

Back