• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help understanding local accounts in Windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Is there a way to retain a local account on a Windows 10 machine and still access the Microsoft store?

I upgraded a customer's machine to Windows 10 over the weekend and used a local account since he didn't want to fuss with using a password to log in. All was fine until he went to buy a movie from the Microsoft store last night and had to use his Microsoft account. That also changed the account type so that now he has to log in with a password. Trouble is, he doesn't remember his password. I should mention this guy has some cognitive issues from a brain injury.

Now, I have software on a self-booting optical disk that I can use to remove or change the password. That's not the problem. But my question is, can he use the Microsoft store and retain a local machine account?

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

Launch the Store from your Start menu.
Click the user icon next to the search box.
Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”

source: lifehacker.com

Sounds like he entered his password when the make it yours box appeared.

In all honesty, the best solution for your situation is to find a different store for him. Maybe set him up with a google account and use the play store?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It's just going to happen again. I know he does have a google account so that might be the way to go. Thanks.

Back