• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 6700k or i7 6950X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomic888

Lets say you are a gamer with a high-end PC.

Would there be any benefit in having for example a monstrous CPU such as the new i7 6950X with 10 cores
versus a i7 6700K with 4 cores? Assume price is not important.

Nope. Games are not optimized to use more than 4 cores if that. It'll be a waste of money. Best bang for the buck would be the 6700K. If you use programs that are multi-threaded, then yes, the 6950X would benefit you, otherwise the 6700K is the best choice.

Nope. Games are not optimized to use more than 4 cores if that. It'll be a waste of money. Best bang for the buck would be the 6700K. If you use programs that are multi-threaded, then yes, the 6950X would benefit you, otherwise the 6700K is the best choice.

Got it, thanks.

These are single titles which are using all CPU cores but still even there performance gain isn't big above ~4 cores. There is a huge difference between 2 and 4 threads ( not even cores ).
Personally I see no point of 10 core i7 on our market. It's more like a sign from Intel that they can.
Soon will be new Nvidia graphics cards so better is to invest money in that and maybe good SSD.

Absolutely no reason at all to get a ~$1K+ CPU for gaming. Truth be told, a 6600K would be plenty for years to come.

+1 for new GPU and SSD.

DX12 should bring at least some advancement in multi-threading capability, which should help, but....the 6600k or 6700k are still going to be more than enough for gaming.

There is benefit going for a 6 core / 12 thread CPU (6800K/6850K when it launches, or 5820K now) if you stream your gameplay.

There is benefit going for a 6 core / 12 thread CPU (6800K/6850K when it launches, or 5820K now) if you stream your gameplay.

Wouldn't the 6700k extra threads take care of it ? cores for gaming, threads for everything else ?

Ive never seen a direct comparison. That said, the AMD chip beats out Intel's 4c/8t chips when streaming so..............maybe not?

Ahh, the newer one.. thanks! :)

Sweet jebus..........35 minutes? ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Can someone give cliff's notes?

Streaming Benchmarks - 16:35

TLDR - Intel beats AMD by over 20fps at lower clock speed...

I am going by what actual streamers have been saying and experiencing.

The benches do not hold up IRL because streamers tend to have more applications open to monitor their stream activities. You cannot just have the game and OBS/xsplit running and get valid data.

I am going by what actual streamers have been saying and experiencing.

The benches do not hold up IRL because streamers tend to have more applications open to monitor their stream activities. You cannot just have the game and OBS/xsplit running and get valid data.
That's good info to know.

To that end, do you believe Intel quads perform better in that, 'more realistic', streaming enviroment than the AMDs or...........where does that leave us (considering we have two links that are seemingly polar opposites) in your opinion?

Snarkyness aside, I have only seen this applied to moving from I7 4c/8t to I7 6c/12T.

Enjoy your thread....

out

Back