• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Nvidia 1080 launch thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So the question still remains: who's gonna get one?
I don't like the price performance, I will probably wait and see if the prices come down, I'm looking at the GTX 1070.

Article from Anandtech said according to the graph the GTX 1080 is only 20-25% faster than the GTX 980ti, the 1070 7% grater performance distance gap from the 1080 compared to the GTX 980 GTX 970 series.

marketing slides put the average at around 65% faster than GTX 980 and 20-25% faster than GTX Titan X/980 Ti, which is relatively consistent for a new NVIDIA GPU http://www.anandtech.com/show/10304/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-1070/2

your welcome :beer:
DOOM on Pascal GTX 1080 with Vulcan API @1080p (keep an eye on the fps counter when they disable V-sync)

*edit*
i have done a bit of reading
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-detailed/
says it has 2560 cuda cores, the Titan X has 3070. even with the higher clock speed of 2ghz in boost for 1080 i dont see it being twice as fast, i dont think it has enough cores if talking non-VR. i think NV has done some tweaks to improve performance with VR and its possible with the higher clock speed and less cores that in VR it is double titan X. that is the trick of marketing, is it not? leave out some details to draw alot of buzz and get some people who might not other wise fork over $600 for a card to do so. since he never claimed where twice the performance happens he is just being selective with what he is telling us. im not sure why this always happens on forums, people have a hard time waiting for benchmarks to be released.

Last edited:
your welcome :beer:
DOOM on Pascal GTX 1080 with Vulcan API @1080p (keep an eye on the fps counter when they disable V-sync)

*edit*
i have done a bit of reading
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-detailed/
says it has 2560 cuda cores, the Titan X has 3070. even with the higher clock speed of 2ghz in boost for 1080 i dont see it being twice as fast, i dont think it has enough cores if talking non-VR. i think NV has done some tweaks to improve performance with VR and its possible with the higher clock speed and less cores that in VR it is double titan X. that is the trick of marketing, is it not? leave out some details to draw alot of buzz and get some people who might not other wise fork over $600 for a card to do so. since he never claimed where twice the performance happens he is just being selective with what he is telling us. im not sure why this always happens on forums, people have a hard time waiting for benchmarks to be released.

Additional boost can be or much better technology or improvements in new drivers that can be locked for older series. Nvidia locked all performance updates for GTX700 and earlier cards when they released GTX900 just because after premiere there wasn't high enough difference between these generations and it raised by next 20% only because of next driver releases.
We have to wait to find out.

I don't like the price performance, I will probably wait and see if the prices come down, I'm looking at the GTX 1070.

Article from Anandtech said according to the graph the GTX 1080 is only 20-25% faster than the GTX 980ti, the 1070 7% grater performance distance gap from the 1080 compared to the GTX 980 GTX 970 series.

Only 20-25%? That's a bad thing in this day when we're hitting tech performance walls? If you want more than that, then wait for the Ti (like me) :D

Interesting that they went with the 10xx naming scheme.

How so? It's the next line of cards, and I know this may be a shock, but 10 comes after 9. Makes sense unless they wanted to move away from the GT/GTX naming, which they stuck with since what, the 6xxx series? (or loop back to 1xx/2xx, which will just cause more confusion...)

How so? It's the next line of cards, and I know this may be a shock, but 10 comes after 9. Makes sense unless they wanted to move away from the GT/GTX naming, which they stuck with since what, the 6xxx series? (or loop back to 1xx/2xx, which will just cause more confusion...)

Haha no I agree with you, it just seemed like there were enough people floating around that disliked that naming scheme for this generation that it might have been called something different.

It seems that Asynchronous Compute is being addressed by NVidia in this iteration so that more game titles that perform better with it will show significant improvement over previous green cards. How this may play in the '2x better' discussion is relevant but from the hardware profiles I've read the gains in performance should be across the spectrum, just with larger percentages than the 5-10% we've become accustomed to from hardware developers.

So the founders edition is exactly the same as the non- founders? Anyone else confused?

TL;DR version. Founders is made by nVidia and the non- founders is everybody else.

so the price for non-nv sold cards is going to be cheaper, if you want a card made by NV directly you are going to pay more, thats what i got out of it. since my tax return was more then i expected, i think im going to wait for the 1080TI but if its much more then what i got. i may wait for some fancy ones from EVGA with higher clock speeds on the core.

so the price for non-nv sold cards is going to be cheaper, if you want a card made by NV directly you are going to pay more, thats what i got out of it. since my tax return was more then i expected, i think im going to wait for the 1080TI but if its much more then what i got. i may wait for some fancy ones from EVGA with higher clock speeds on the core.
Yes I talked to EVGA and they bin every overclock card they sell with many special tests to guarantee the overclock, they would not disclose what tests they use.

My GTX 970 does core 1418Mhz stock.

Yes I talked to EVGA and they bin every overclock card they sell with many special tests to guarantee the overclock, they would not disclose what tests they use.

My GTX 970 does core 1418Mhz stock.

I have a hard time believing that any of the pre overclocked cards that are sold by any of the manufactures (or partners) have stock speeds that are not attainable by any of their base models.

I have a hard time believing that any of the pre overclocked cards that are sold by any of the manufactures (or partners) have stock speeds that are not attainable by any of their base models.
Then why do they charge a premium for overclocked cards if they could overclock to SC SSC FTW or Classified with all there testing binning? You have to remember all I do also most people do is plug and play no fan ramping or extra cooling and works on all games, some of the games I have seen memory artifact minor some times. Also the big spot for me is when a new demanding game comes out I had 2 different modes of EVGA SC lockup on me and they sent me a new one because when I under clocked to stock it would paly fine on both. It's all about plug in case no mater what the temp is and get the overclock rated without boost. For 30 years I had my case cover off no fans except the CPU. With one fan and the case closed I get no boost speed, however my GTX 970 EVGA always gets the max boost of 1418Mhz with cover off and the fans don't ramp up that much, you can here a pin drop.

We all forget the key to overclocking is cooling and voltage and they have done a fine job with big high teck heat sinks and dual fans.

Most people in the know like you do close cases with a lot of fans and nowadays test bench with one fan, I don't need a fan heat rises and I get fresh air all the time.

Last edited:
Never have I ever.....

Seen a reference card that could not reach a factory overclock. If so, it is incredible rare... or you are talking won't reach the sppeds of the Matrix Platinum or something very high that IS actually binned. But make no mistake about it, a refernce card will EASILY hit factory overclocked speeds. The premium you are paying for is the higher clocks out of the box...that's it.

I ABSOLUTELY agree.

It's shameful how all of the companies say that. NONE of those cards are fully "tested" or at least asus doesn't.
I got a 980ti poseidon "platinum" that was a 100% failure out of the box... and they all claim they bin them...

The only ones I think are actually binned are probably the kingpins..
Have any of those failed out of the box?

You got a bad card... its just that simple. I would bet my life says there are DOA Reference to Kingpin level cards.

They are binned by the clockspeed, but sometimes, things happen. You don't know if something happened in shipping to the card or what. But to say/blame it on not binning I don't believe that to be true at all personally.

You got a bad card... its just that simple. I would bet my life says there are DOA Reference to Kingpin level cards.

They are binned by the clockspeed, but sometimes, things happen. You don't know if something happened in shipping to the card or what. But to say/blame it on not binning I don't believe that to be true at all personally.

Well it worked for like 2 days and then burned up... not sure if you remember but I had a build log a while back that had all my bad luck with asus lol still waiting on a working gpu 3 months later

But it was either my PSU or a faulty gpu out of box.

Back