• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Nvidia 1080 launch thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just in case any of you are interested this is a run of the original Firestrike 1920 x 1080, the MSI GTX 1080 is not overclocked at all.

The card is water cooled running an EK Copper/Acetal full coverage water block, a Swiftech D5 MCP655 pump, and Alphacool NexXxos 180 single radiator, with a Silverstone SST-AP182 fan.

Highest Load temperature ever reached was 34c.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9332278

This is my result as I am 4ryan6 as listed at Futuremark.

I am running it on a 1080P setup that's why I ran the 1920 x 1080 Firestrike.

Comparing this card to my previous EVGA GTX Titan is like night and day, every game I had been playing I'm having to relearn some aspects of it because the 3D game play has noticeably accelerated even with all the graphics setting completely maxed out.

This card absolutely doubles the performance and then some of my GTX Titan when it was also ran at stock settings.

I will be overclocking the GTX 1080 later on, but not now, I'm posting this so some of you that are curious can see what it can do stock clocked settings.

That is awesome info to have. I can't wait to pick mine up. Upgrading from an old GTX 690 (which has served me extremely well for about 4 years).

Silver Surfer did you have a Titan or Titanx?

The original GTX Titan but it was the EVGA Hydro Copper which actually was overclocked to 928mhz clock / 980mhz boost, from the stock air cooled GTX Titans 837mhz clock / 876mhz boost.

- - - Updated - - -

That is awesome info to have. I can't wait to pick mine up. Upgrading from an old GTX 690 (which has served me extremely well for about 4 years).

You will be blown away at the gaming difference, I promise you that!

Anyone know where the 1080 is available close to MSRP yet? I see FEs all over the place, but they're close to $700 US. I'm not super picky on brand, just want a vanilla 1080. Are there none around the $550-600 price point yet?

I would NOT expect 1080 to get under $600. If you are waiting for this to happen you will most likely be waiting a very long time.

The reason is simple - supply and demand.

Anyone know where the 1080 is available close to MSRP yet? I see FEs all over the place, but they're close to $700 US. I'm not super picky on brand, just want a vanilla 1080. Are there none around the $550-600 price point yet?

MSRP is $600.... Don't know where you pulled $550 from. EVGA has a 1080 at $610 though.

Changing the subject for a moment, I have a question. With the huge leap in performance by the 1080 over previous generations, how long do you think it will take game developers to use all that graphics horsepower? I'm wondering when the $600 1080 will no longer be a high end gaming card? Obviously an answer would be guesswork, but I figure there are enough long term, experienced, gamers here to hazard a guess. A 980Ti is still no slouch in the games we currently have, correct? It may have been surpassed but is it's performance obsolete?

Changing the subject for a moment, I have a question. With the huge leap in performance by the 1080 over previous generations, how long do you think it will take game developers to use all that graphics horsepower? I'm wondering when the $600 1080 will no longer be a high end gaming card? Obviously an answer would be guesswork, but I figure there are enough long term, experienced, gamers here to hazard a guess. A 980Ti is still no slouch in the games we currently have, correct? It may have been surpassed but is it's performance obsolete?

Performance being obsolete? Not at all, it simply depends on your needs. As far as the 980 Ti remaining the high end, I'd still call the 980 Ti high end, hell I'd even call just a regular 980 to be on the high end, is it flagship performance? No, but both it and the 1060 offer quite a bit, especially if all you play at is 1920x1080. I personally stop calling something the "high end" when it's 2 generations or so behind and games are taking advantage of more from the newer gen cards.

It's a bummer with these card shortages. Was hoping to pick up a 1060 sometime in August, but now I'm wondering if they'll have a steady supply coming out at that point or if it'll still be all haywire. But on the topic of the 1060, it's cool to see how much of a leap nVidia made over the 960, even the 970. With the 970 it's anywhere from 10-30% better in different aspects of graphics performance. Wasn't expecting that.

Performance being obsolete? Not at all, it simply depends on your needs. As far as the 980 Ti remaining the high end, I'd still call the 980 Ti high end, hell I'd even call just a regular 980 to be on the high end, is it flagship performance? No, but both it and the 1060 offer quite a bit, especially if all you play at is 1920x1080. I personally stop calling something the "high end" when it's 2 generations or so behind and games are taking advantage of more from the newer gen cards.

That's what I was getting at. How long do you think it will take a 1080 for example, to no longer be able to keep up with current games? I'm not asking for predictions, just looking for trends. The 1080 is offering amazing performance and I was curious when people here think they'll no longer be able to just set everything on Ultra and forget it?

That's what I was getting at. How long do you think it will take a 1080 for example, to no longer be able to keep up with current games? I'm not asking for predictions, just looking for trends. The 1080 is offering amazing performance and I was curious when people here think they'll no longer be able to just set everything on Ultra and forget it?

I think that more depends on resolution and frame rate desire than anything. I have a hard time thinking of a time at least within a few years that it won't be playing games at 1080p 60fps on ultra settings (for the most part anyway). 1440 less so, and it still can't consistently offer 60fps at 4k.

I never really paid attention to the pace of game development so I wasn't sure how long it usually takes developers to use up the resources on "the next big thing" in GPUs. I know it varies widely by title, but I figured the most popular would take advantage the fastest.

I appreciate the answers, guys. I may have the opportunity to pick one up in the near future and trying to decide if it's worth it (to me) at 1080p. :) Although, it still looks like another RX 480 would be cheaper.

Do games developers really even care about the extra performance of the latest, greatest gens of video cards? I had thought video games development was geared to consoles, not PC's.

That wouldn't surprise me much, but I imagine some games will take as much power as you can throw at them. And with higher resolutions becoming more common the need for more powerful cards will only go up.

i remember when games were soly in some cases PC only. this whole cross platform thing with different coding needed to work on one console vs another was a problem back in the day. im sure cross platform games may still not happen much, depending on the title since some are exclusives. im still mad i never got Halo2 or 3 ect on the PC, i refused to buy a console just to play one or two games.

look at crysis be it as some said some bad programming or it was really that hard on hardware. even on highend systems back in the day when it was released it was brutal, i had to use min settings with some turned off to get decent/semi-playable fps on my mid range card.

depending on the game yes and no, but wouldnt it be funny if they did games for consoles packed with video cards like the Titan X(pascel) or even a 1080/Ti.

so instead of piecing your pc together you just drop 1.2-1.4k every 3-4 years when new consoles come out. not only that but they make sure all games are backwards compatible, O WAIT THATS A PC, mah bad.

Back