• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Nvidia 1080 launch thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looking into getting the 1080 since my 980 kinda struggles @ 1440P. I shouldn't have any bottleneck issues with 1080?

not with that clock speed on ur 4670 no... i would say wait if you can and see what the 1080TI brings and then buy. you might find someone getting rid of their 1080 for a TI so you might get it much cheaper. if you cant wait then see what your favorite brand comes out with.

the TI will prolly follow the 1080 with 8gb, that doesnt mean partners wont go higher though. that is assuming they can get higher density ic's or they may just tack on more ic on the the same channles as others. who knows really, the partners have come out with cards with more memory in the past then what NV reference has been.

Honestly don't think that at this point in time (or for the next couple years or so) there's any need/demand to go above 8gb, at least gaming wise ?

VR gaming is about the only one i can think of that MIGHT need more... maybe NV will have the 1080TI with 12gb... i am wondering if they will do a P100 ala Titan card and if they do, just guessing here it could be 24gb. if your following the amount of ram on current Titan cards...

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't VR simply two 2160x1200 screens? 4k is 4 1080 screens and more pixels... by a lot.

Honestly don't think that at this point in time (or for the next couple years or so) there's any need/demand to go above 8gb, at least gaming wise ?

Two years ago cards were sitting at 3-4GB, and GTA 5 (2.5 yrs old) has been shown to use nearly the entire buffer of a 6GB card, and it was out before there were any mainstream 6GB cards on the market. Games are always pushing the boundaries and you better believe they'll be asking ever more of the computer over the next couple of years (which is eons for hardware, mind you).

Soon there will be need/demand for cards that stretch up to 8GB and beyond; certainly over the next couple of years.

Also, it's not my wheelhouse, but I believe VR needs more frame buffer than traditional monitor options.

Two years ago cards were sitting at 3-4GB, and GTA 5 (2.5 yrs old) has been shown to use nearly the entire buffer of a 6GB card

Uses around 3.5gb/4gb on max settings at 1080p which is still the most used resolution on desktops (and most average run of the mill desktops cant run it at max settings at a steady 60fps even today). Only game i had so far that came close to the 6gb (actually filled) on my 980Ti was CoD:Advanced Warfare or maybe the newest Tomb Raider (haven't played it yet though). Vast majority of them are still on the 4gb mark and i always max out settings :thup:

Yes games will evolve ofc, but it also depends plenty on the coders ability, take the newest Doom for example, 4gb for "smooth" gameplay. I stand by what i said, i really don't think that at this point in time (or for the next couple years or so) there's any need/demand to go above 8gb, at least gaming wise :)

Never noticed you could change the settings, i just open the program and press run :rofl: Even now i don't think theres any reason to change them, it should be ran at standard for a proper comparison right ? ill think about validation if i ever fork out the cash to buy the program...

Any word on how the drivers are working ?

- - - Updated - - -

Aren't those peak temps with overclock ?

Kenrou: With all of that top end equipment you have in your rig (your sig) you surely have enough $$$ to buy a licensed version of 3D Firestrike.

I read the article on Hybrid cooling of the GTX 1080 and other articles that show the stock pcb has room for an additional 6 pin power supply.

I have a second rig with 2 WC'd R9 290s on a WC'd (same loop) 4790k. IF an Nvidia partner brings out a GTX 1080 with a 8+6 pin power supply and improved VRM, I'm buying it to replace the 2 R9 290s. Vega seems further and further away, the more I read.

Kenrou: With all of that top end equipment you have in your rig (your sig) you surely have enough $$$ to buy a licensed version of 3D Firestrike.

Unlicensed version does the same job, and my rig was a investment to last me a few years which took me months of doing 12h/day shifts (married with 4 kids). Its up to individual people to accept the results or not, i don't think i crossed anyone as untrustworthy so far have i :eh?:

Besides all my scores are roughly where they should be (as far as i know), to me cheating is like magical wishes, you should always go big :rofl:

Unlicensed version does the same job, and my rig was a investment to last me a few years which took me months of doing 12h/day shifts (married with 4 kids). Its up to individual people to accept the results or not, i don't think i crossed anyone as untrustworthy so far have i :eh?:

Besides all my scores are roughly where they should be (as far as i know), to me cheating is like magical wishes, you should always go big :rofl:

Kenrou: Please accept my apology. I did NOT me to offend you. I respect a person who works hard to get such a nice rig.

P.S. Please check your private mail in the next 5 minutes.:)

Kenrou: Please accept my apology. I did NOT me to offend you. I respect a person who works hard to get such a nice rig.

P.S. Please check your private mail in the next 5 minutes.:)

Absolutely no offense taken :thup:

1080 Founders Ed. cost in Poland $900 inc. 23% tax ... I'm not sure how to comment that

Back