• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows 10, insanely slow.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I just got my Intel i3 Nuc up and running, has 8gb kingston ram and 120gb m.2 sandisk ssd.

First of all, installing windows from a usb 3.0, took over an hour..

Once in windows, everything is slow as hell, anf laggy.

Is this common for window 10, or should i be looking at a falty ssd?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solved. Defective SSD / SSD not working with Bios/NUC.

Last edited:
not sure about the i3, but windows 10 from USB3 with i7 16gb ram and 512 m2 takes about 15-20 for me to install. and runs well ?
have you installed drivers for your m2 ?

Problems already start once files are copied from USB to SSD for install.

I have had 2x SanDisk USB fail on me in under a week, and now, im just going to run a test with sticking the SSD into my normal rig, which is i7, 16gb ram and so on. I think its the SSD. It was bad, pressed the windows button to bring up start menu, took over 45secs.

Problems already start once files are copied from USB to SSD for install.

I have had 2x SanDisk USB fail on me in under a week, and now, im just going to run a test with sticking the SSD into my normal rig, which is i7, 16gb ram and so on. I think its the SSD. It was bad, pressed the windows button to bring up start menu, took over 45secs.

Defiitely check the SSD. Might be corrupted data, bad sectors, etc. I'm not sure you can get an SSD repaired, m.2 or not, but might be worth it to take it to a shop and see if it can be fixed.

Steps to fixing a SSD:
Step 1: Throw bad SSD in trash (or recycle).
Step 2: Unwrap new SSD packaging.
Step 3: Take out new SSD from packaging.
Step 4: Proclaim SSD in hand is now fixed.

Seriously though, it does sound like a bad SSD, and there isn't much you can do about it except hope it's under warranty so that you can get a new one.

I was thinking about NUC but after longer thinking I've decided on new Compute Stick with preinstalled Win10. It runs really good, no issues with booting or anything else. i3 setup should run much better so if it's not SSD then I don't know what can it be. There is barely anything inside these PCs :p

I did consider the Intel Sticks, but we only have have the first gen here in Denmark, and they are overpriced, and under powered, i have a friend with one, and i wasnt impressed.
The NUC runs fine, in Windows, and it runs fine while reading Windows setup from the USB, but soon as setup files are copied over the SSD, and it starts reading off the SSD, all kinds of slow break out.
This took the ram out of the question right away, and since it ran fine of the USB, then theres only really one thing left. So the SSD is going back, and i ordered a new SSD, that i know for sure i said to work with the NUC.
Im honestly not bothered about the SSD read/write speeds, but yeah, i do plan to run a minecraft server of it from time to time, so it needs to work without huge lag spikes.

ok, so i had something like this happen with a customer's computer, go into services > disable superfetch, also go into the settings > system > notifications & actions and disable "show me tips about windows".
also see if hdd usage is chilling at 100% in task manager as their computer had that too, after this the poor laptop was zippity zap.

I did consider the Intel Sticks, but we only have have the first gen here in Denmark, and they are overpriced, and under powered, i have a friend with one, and i wasnt impressed.

I saw first generation and I had a chance to play with it on Intel conference ... and I wasn't impressed too. There were also issues with wifi and some other things. New gen is in similar price ( atom based ) as older after release but it has full Win10 Home installed while license price is already half of the whole PC price. Wifi issues and some others were fixed in new version and it works great now. It also has USB 3.0 support and fast micro SD card reader. CPU performance is for sure lower than i3 and there is only 2GB RAM but it's enough as media center for 1080p display. For that I'm using it.
It's weird you don't have it in Denmark as it's available in many stores in Poland and it's not so far away. Still for your needs NUC is better.

I saw first generation and I had a chance to play with it on Intel conference ... and I wasn't impressed too. There were also issues with wifi and some other things. New gen is in similar price ( atom based ) as older after release but it has full Win10 Home installed while license price is already half of the whole PC price. Wifi issues and some others were fixed in new version and it works great now. It also has USB 3.0 support and fast micro SD card reader. CPU performance is for sure lower than i3 and there is only 2GB RAM but it's enough as media center for 1080p display. For that I'm using it.
It's weird you don't have it in Denmark as it's available in many stores in Poland and it's not so far away. Still for your needs NUC is better.

I was suprised too, maybe with some more diggin around i could find them, but in any case, i want to run in 4k, which the NUC does indeed support. Non the less, i cant wait to try it out, hopefully i will have my new SSD wednesday, and get it up and running.

I just wanted to follow up on this thread.

I got my new SSD, and windows 10 installed in about 15/20mins, no lag, and running like it should.

Back