• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts on Windows 10, "The Last Windows" and impact on other software sales

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Thoughts on Windows 10, "The Last Windows" and impact on other software sales

If Windows 10 is the last edition of Windows as Microsoft has said, what will all those software companies do for income that sold us new versions of their products based on the old versions being incompatible with whatever new version of the Windows OS Microsoft had turned out? They will have a hard time selling new products on the merits of the so-called improvements alone I'm thinking. Or, they will really have to get truly innovative and give new features that make it worth upgrading.

They will sell the Win10 upgrades a la BioWare/EA...

they-should-change-their-slogan_o_5173849.jpg

Last edited:
If I'm right they mean that Windows won't be released as a new stand-alone product in next version but that MS will be updating current Win10 edition till they decide they can't make it any better. Like instead of "Win11" you will get larger update and that's all.

I think it has to do something with the way how earlier OS were evolving - Win7 was corrected Vista, Win8 was corrected Win7, Win8.1 was like a patch for 8 and Win10 is like corrected Win8/8.1. They could make it in 2 bigger steps while they made 5 smaller and passed all service packs. At the end users had to pay 2-3 times for about the same product only to have it up to date. Many users actually skipped everything between XP and Win10 and got Win10 because they had to.

I think it's better idea to have one OS for 7-10 years with updates than keep buying new products every 2-3 years. Good idea if they can make it work right and adding new technologies will be possible ( somehow I doubt ).

If Windows 10 is the last edition of Windows...

I also wondered where this notion of the "last OS" was going and then they updated their official End of Life page! As you can see below, just like Windows 8 will reach the end of life in 2023, so will Windows 10 in 2025.

So there will be a follow up to Windows 10. It is not the "last OS." Nothing has changed.
Windows 10 gives you two years after Windows 8, that's it, but by the time Windows 8 reaches it End of Life in 2023, there should be a Windows 10 successor on the market...

The only thing that supports this argument is this screen shot below.
But I would like to hear what the counter-argument is... I mean if the word 'Windows' is not used for the successor, that would be a neat marketing trick that would have them saying "we told you it would be the last 'Windows'..."

End of Support.png

I also wondered where this notion of the "last OS" was going and then they updated their official End of Life page! As you can see below, just like Windows 8 will reach the end of life in 2023, so will Windows 10 in 2025.

So there will be a follow up to Windows 10. It is not the "last OS." Nothing has changed.
Windows 10 gives you two years after Windows 8, that's it, but by the time Windows 8 reaches it End of Life in 2023, there should be a Windows 10 successor on the market...

The only thing that supports this argument is this screen shot below.
But I would like to hear what the counter-argument is... I mean if the word 'Windows' is not used for the successor, that would be a neat marketing trick that would have them saying "we told you it would be the last 'Windows'..."

View attachment 178937

They can just as easily say "buy this pack for Windows 10 and your end of support is X date"...

If you think about it from a programmer point of view though, this idea of a "last OS" is kinda... horrible ? I mean the Russians go through the same, they have horribly old software patched up over and over again BARELY functioning. Or a good example, World of Warcraft, no matter how much eye candy you put on top its still 12yo code, buggy as hell, and the best Blizzard can do is patch up (they were asked about WoW2 but said that replacing the code was just too costly and time-consuming, maybe something to think about here). Comes to a point where the deck of cards comes tumbling down no ?

If a new (or old) company comes up with a new tech or code that techs cant patch up its bye bye Microsoft very fast ?

If you think about it from a programmer point of view though, this idea of a "last OS" is kinda... horrible ? I mean the Russians go through the same, they have horribly old software patched up over and over again BARELY functioning. Or a good example, World of Warcraft, no matter how much eye candy you put on top its still 12yo code, buggy as hell, and the best Blizzard can do is patch up (they were asked about WoW2 but said that replacing the code was just too costly and time-consuming, maybe something to think about here). Comes to a point where the deck of cards comes tumbling down no ?

If a new (or old) company comes up with a new tech or code that techs cant patch up its bye bye Microsoft very fast ?

pretty similar to what im pretty sure happened to direct x, patched patched patched, complete rework boom performance is increased a ton.

Back