• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WATERCOOL Hardware Rep available! Come in and chat with me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can now officially confirm that our HEATKILLER IV or TITAN X (Pascal) is 100% compatible to the new Nvidia GTX 1080Ti. The same is true for the eBC backplate (back in stock this week).

Some Eye candy?

HK_IV_TITAN_XP_ACRYL_01.jpg

HK_IV_TITAN_XP_ACRYL_Ni_07.jpg

HK_IV_GTX1080_Acryl_ni_bl_01.jpg

The HEATKILLER® IV for TITAN X and GTX 1080Ti comes with a groove in which the corresponding LED strips (sold separately) can be installed like this:

HK_IV_GTX1080_led_900.jpg

We think that it should be possible to install third party RGB LED strips, but we cannot guarantee it. We don't offer RGB LED strips for this card because the card itself has no connection header for RGB lighting.

Just a heads up:
Dear Customers,
regard this a follow-up on our previous post. Let me first announce that all orders that we received up until today will ship within this week! From today on, we will we back on track, so your order will ship 1-2 days after placing the order.

Again, we are very grateful to all of our great customers for making March 2017 by far the best-selling month in the history of WATERCOOL.

We are looking forward to the hundreds of new #TeamHeatkiller builds that will soon be out there! Show us what you did with all the #Heatkiller glory!

"Let me first announce that all orders that we received up until today will ship within this week!"

Hi Jakob,

This doesn't seem to be the case for my order.... any idea why my order hasn't dispatched, it was placed on the 22nd March, just 3 items which were all in stock and still are all in stock.

Order Number: 6004

"Houston We Have a Problem!"

Well at least I do!

I bought a Heatkiller IV Pro Clean Acetal Intel CPU water block but when it was mounted on my ASUS Maximus IX Hero motherboard and aligning the jet porting over the CPU die orientation the water block would not go all the way down on the heat spreader because it would not clear a bank of capacitors on the motherboard.

I saw in a review of the block that it was stated, "Watercool says orientation makes no difference." and if I turn the water block 90 degrees it will go down on the heat spreader then but the jet porting is 90 degrees out from jetting directly over the die.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1543524/...ing-of-the-hill-edited-with-first-review-info

Designing a water block so the jet porting aligns directly over the die orientation under the heat spreader is a no brainer IMO.

My XSPC Raystorm and EK Supremacy EVO both mount allowing the jet porting to align directly over the die orientation of the CPU.

http://shop.watercool.de/HEATKILLER-IV-PRO-INTEL-processor-COPPER-AN/en

Disregarding the nice hype buildup at the website it would have been nice if this information would have been posted openly instead of tucked inside the installation manual.

Note the underlined text.

3. Important information on the
alignment of the HEATKILLER® IV
The HEATKILLER® IV has no predefined
orientation on the CPU. Depending on the
mainboard layout, all four facings should be
possible. Those are: logo left (vertical), logo
right (vertical), logo on top (horizontal) and
logo at the bottom (horizontal).
The alignment of the cooler has almost no
impact on cooling performance and may be
chosen freely if installation is possible.
On INTEL Sockets 1366, 2011 and 2011-
3, all four alignments should be possible on
any mainboard.
On INTEL Sockets 1150, 1155 and 1156,
horizontal alignment is usually not possible.
Only few mainboards are compatible.
On AMD Sockets the mainboard designs
allow vertical installation only.

The HEATKILLER® IV was developed to
ensure easy ventilation during all installed
alignments. When mounted in a regular tower
case, the easiest way for maintenance
ventilation is to turn the cooler so that the logo
faces down right (4 o'clock).

If the above information was readily available on the website linked page, I would simply have never bought the water block in the first place.

It's not that I am clueless as to the temperature difference in orientation of the water block of which many may claim it doesn't matter and it probably doesn't matter with a low overclock and traditional water cooling but it does matter when you are overclocked to 5.2ghz on a 7700K.

I am not trying to cause a problem here, so put the guns up moderators, what's done is done!

I'm just simply informing other co water coolers here that may be interested, and affected by this mounting situation, completely aware.

It is not that I dislike Watercool products, if that were the case I would not have complimented them a few pages ago, as I own many Watercool products but this is my first discontent, that it is only fair to share.

Have a great day everyone! SS

Last edited:
And sharing you should. Thanks for the heads up and hope some catch this prior to purchasing.

Hey Silver Surfer,
Thanks for stating your concerns.
Designing a water block so the jet porting aligns directly over the die orientation under the heat spreader is a no brainer IMO.
[...]
It's not that I am clueless as to the temperature difference in orientation of the water block of which many may claim it doesn't matter and it probably doesn't matter with a low overclock and traditional water cooling but it does matter when you are overclocked to 5.2ghz on a 7700K.
We tested the Heatkiller IV on our own testbenches multiple times before releasing it, including different orientations under heavy heat load scenarios, and never got consistent data that would indicate that any orientation would have been better. There are also some tests from well known independent testers that either come to the same conclusion as we do or come to conclusions that contradict each other: Xtremerigs favors the goofy orientation while Thermalbench votes for regular. So, in our opinion, there is no evidence that block orientation does any difference in temperature performance that's bigger than the margin of error. That said, we designed the block towards easiest air bleeding: in the normal orientation, the air will gather at the top where the outlet is positioned and thusly transported out of the block immediately.

Regarding the placement of information: As you can see yourself, the description of the product in our shop is already very long. So we had to select which info to put there, and ultimately, it's a question of relevancy. As I stated, we do not think that orientation is relevant at all, so we didn't put this info in the article description but in the manual. All manuals for our products are publicly accessible without purchase. And each time this issue is brought up in any forum or facebook thread, I give the same open honest answer, so I don't feel like we tucked something away.

Great day to you too :)

Hey Silver Surfer,
Thanks for stating your concerns.

We tested the Heatkiller IV on our own testbenches multiple times before releasing it, including different orientations under heavy heat load scenarios, and never got consistent data that would indicate that any orientation would have been better. There are also some tests from well known independent testers that either come to the same conclusion as we do or come to conclusions that contradict each other: Xtremerigs favors the goofy orientation while Thermalbench votes for regular. So, in our opinion, there is no evidence that block orientation does any difference in temperature performance that's bigger than the margin of error. That said, we designed the block towards easiest air bleeding: in the normal orientation, the air will gather at the top where the outlet is positioned and thusly transported out of the block immediately.

Regarding the placement of information: As you can see yourself, the description of the product in our shop is already very long. So we had to select which info to put there, and ultimately, it's a question of relevancy. As I stated, we do not think that orientation is relevant at all, so we didn't put this info in the article description but in the manual. All manuals for our products are publicly accessible without purchase. And each time this issue is brought up in any forum or facebook thread, I give the same open honest answer, so I don't feel like we tucked something away.

Great day to you too :)

Quote from the manual:

On INTEL Sockets 1150, 1155 and 1156, horizontal alignment is usually not possible. Only few mainboards are compatible.

Personally Jacob, I don't think that one little sentence would have overloaded your website page especially the part, (Only a few mainboards are compatible.)

Since you claim the orientation doesn't matter you clearly could have never tested motherboards you could not even add to the testing data at all and the sockets listed above all can house some of Intels top performing CPUs overclocked, of which since the issues of core alignment and stock TIM on those very CPUs have so many delidding their CPUs for every gain they could achieve.

To make a true orientation doesn't matter statement does at least require a consensus of a massive testing of all motherboards, and then simply list the ones that are not compatible.

For some reason in my mind that seems to be the reasonable thing to do, but instead of doing that you hide behind it was in the manual and the manual is downloadable from the website?

Seriously Jacob! I admit it never occurred to me to read the manual from the website to see if the water block was even going to fit my motherboard.

Shouldn't block mounting orientation be the choice of the user not out of manufacturing necessity.

The base design of the waterblock base plate is rectangular with the short side 55mm and the long side 65mm if you had just made the thing with a square base using the short side 55mm x 55mm and made up the distance difference with the mounting brackets it would pretty much fit every motherboard out here.

IMO you should recall the waterblock and go back to the design table, and fire whoever designed it in the first place.

I wasn't even going to come back into this thread because of my argumentative nature, but here's my present situation.

I bought the waterblock through Newegg but in this purchase situation Newegg was the middle man but still was going to RMA the block as long as I paid a 15% restocking fee and shipped it back at my expense, and even though I was going to take that loss, the company that actually sold the block through Newegg refused to honor the RMA if I had opened the box and ran coolant through the block.

That made me angry enough to eat steel yesterday, but you all that know me here, have to admit I'm handling it well today.

Last edited:
Personally Jacob, I don't think that one little sentence would have overloaded your website page especially the part, (Only a few mainboards are compatible.)
Well, but that would be the wrong way round. ALL motherboards are compatible with this block. A few motherboards are incompatible for a specific placement orientation that is irrelevant.

Since you claim the orientation doesn't matter you clearly could have never tested motherboards you could not even add to the testing data at all and the sockets listed above all can house some of Intels top performing CPUs overclocked, of which since the issues of core alignment and stock TIM on those very CPUs have so many delidding their CPUs for every gain they could achieve.

To make a true orientation doesn't matter statement does at least require a consensus of a massive testing of all motherboards, and then simply list the ones that are not compatible.
Well, Watercool is one of the oldest watercooling companies that still exist. The company was founded way back in 2001, so we tested our waterblock designs and core principles on a wide array of sockets, motherboards and CPUs in the last 16 years. Since Watercool was the first company worldwide to release an aftermarket CPU waterblock with a jetplate design (the Heatkiller 2.0 in the year 2003), we are pretty confident that we know about the ups and downs of its principles. Plus, since this basic design has been copied by every other waterblock manufacturer since then, we are also pretty confident that this design is basically good the way it is.
We don not test every block on every motherboard available on the market, of course. One, there are way to many boards to reasonably buy them all ;). Two, both intel and AMD publish very specific physical definitions for their socket areas that are fulfilled by all motherboards we or our customers have ever met.
Additionally, during prototype phase for the HK IV, we manufactured over a dozen different water blocks, including different base plate layouts, and tested them thoroughly. Since those were only prototypes, we did not manufacture holding brackets for all of them but instead used a universal mounting mechanism, so we did indeed test some of those prototypes in goofy orientation that are now incompatible to goofy orientation. And we never found consistent data that made us recommend a specific mounting orientation.

For some reason in my mind that seems to be the reasonable thing to do, but instead of doing that you hide behind it was in the manual and the manual is downloadable from the website?
We don't feel like there IS anything to hide. Block orientation is a nonissue in our perspective, and this is backed by data.

I bought the waterblock through Newegg but in this purchase situation Newegg was the middle man but still was going to RMA the block as long as I paid a 15% restocking fee and shipped it back at my expense, and even though I was going to take that loss, the company that actually sold the block through Newegg refused to honor the RMA if I had opened the box and ran coolant through the block.

That made me angry enough to eat steel yesterday, but you all that know me here, have to admit I'm handling it well today.
I'm sorry to hear you had problems with a reseller. But unfortunately, I can't help in that specific constellation ://

I'm sorry to hear you had problems with a reseller. But unfortunately, I can't help in that specific constellation ://

As far as I am concerned you haven't helped me at all, but you have made me very happy that I've had no problems with my other Watercool products, if this is the run around I can expect from Watercool, when there actually is a problem.

Hopefully this will help others reading this exchange, that block orientation and alignment over the CPU core does actually matter to.

Block orientation is a nonissue in our perspective, and this is backed by data.

Fantastic, Show us the Data?

The only way that block orientation would not matter at all, is if the temperature was exactly the same no matter the orientation, so show me the data that proves that?

Under the circumstances of the amount of motherboards that a horizontal mounting is not even possible we're actually talking a lot of MIA mounting orientation Data from Intel CPUs like, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Skylake, and Kabylake, unless you pull that out of thin air you could not possibly have that data.

How could you possibly have comparative data results when there are so many motherboards that cannot support mounting both ways.

However it does make me curious as to why your water block design is setup with jet porting that supposedly would align it directly over the core die underneath the heat spreader.

Your website claims there's no need for a jet plate, but that's because you eliminated the jet plate from the water block design, but the water block still has jet porting of the coolant flow.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/04/22/watercool-heatkiller-iv-cpu-water-block-review/2/

It does in the pictures in this review.

Is the mounting issue something discovered after the manufacturing of the water blocks was too far along to correct, or is it in the best business practices of your company to market something that only properly fits some motherboards.

Last edited:
The only way that block orientation would not matter at all, is if the temperature was exactly the same no matter the orientation, so show me the data that proves that?
As I already linked before, you could, for example, stick to the independent Thermalbench review. They even conclude that the normal orientation is better by 0.08°C on a 4770k.

Under the circumstances of the amount of motherboards that a horizontal mounting is not even possible we're actually talking a lot of MIA mounting orientation Data from Intel CPUs like, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Skylake, and Kabylake, unless you pull that out of thin air you could not possibly have that data.
There are plenty of motherboards for your mentioned intel generations that are, in fact, compatible to the goofy orientation, for example the Asus Maximus IV Extreme, IV Gene, V Extreme, VI Formula, VIII Extreme. (Those are only the ones that we tested ourselves or received tests from independent reviewer sites)

As far as I am concerned you haven't helped me at all, but you have made me very happy that I've had no problems with my other Watercool products, if this is the run around I can expect from Watercool, when there actually is a problem
I'm sorry that you feel this way. Please let me know how I can improve my help. I'd seriously appreciate any input on how to improve my support :)

Other than that, I feel that I start to repeat my previous statements, so unless someone can bring up actual data that the goofy orientation would actually improve temperatures, I would like to close this topic in a civil manner.

I think it would be best if this exchange were to be continued by PM. There's really no need to continue here as I don't believe this to be the original purpose for this thread.

Thank you again Jakob for your continued support.

One thing I would like to point out here, is that SS is one of a very niche crowd. Most people cannot reach 5.2GHz on any i7 chip under ambient water, and if I'm not mistaken he is referring to his sub-ambient system. In situations like that, maybe .08C is important? I don't know, but from an outside perspective, and from my own testing (with a different block) and research, orientation doesn't really make enough of a difference to matter to me, and I would use my block in whatever orientation looked best. The option to mount the block in any orientation on any board would be ideal, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker to most.

Hey folks,
Today's post comes to you in two parts.

Part1: 1080Ti.
We received a lot of requests about our 1080Ti / TITAN X water block. The bottom line was that people didn't like the cutout for the DVI port when they mounted the block on a 1080Ti. To further prove that we value our customer's feedback, I am happy that I can present to you our revamped dedicated 1080Ti water blocks!

HK_IV_GTX1080Ti_ACRYL_01.jpg

HK_IV_GTX1080Ti__ACRYL_Ni_01.jpg

HK_IV_GTX1080Ti_ACRYL_Ni_02.jpg

HK_IV_GTX1080Ti_ACRYL_Ni_06.jpg

HK_IV_GTX1080Ti_ACRYL_Ni_07.jpg

We will only offer the versions with the acrylic top. The copper version and the nickel version are already available through our online shop, the nickel-black version with the black front cover will be available in two weeks. We will also offer replacement tops and covers for those people who already bought the older version of the block and want to upgrade it themselves.

Part2: Eastern2017.
To celebrate Eastern and to thank all our customers for the great spring we had this far, we offer a discount code! Please use HAPPYEASTER2017 during checkout to get 10% off in our online shop. The discount code is valid from Friday, April 14th 00:01 until Monday, April 17th 23:59 (german time, CET+1). Happy shopping and happy Eastern!

Part2: Eastern2017.
To celebrate Eastern and to thank all our customers for the great spring we had this far, we offer a discount code! Please use HAPPYEASTER2017 during checkout to get 10% off in our online shop. The discount code is valid from Friday, April 14th 00:01 until Monday, April 17th 23:59 (german time, CET+1). Happy shopping and happy Eastern!
Hey folks,
I'm sorry to say but this discount code just did not work as intended. Somehow, the javascript applet in my coworker's computer decided to misfunction horribly.

Twice.

So, to apologize for your inconvenience, we continue the discount code until April 19th 23:59 CET+1 (Wednesday night german time). If you already ordered from us and the discount code did not work, we will manually reimburse you 10% of your total. Please drop me a message with your order number if this applies to you.

Hi I'm looking for some advice on getting a full water block for a gtx titan 6gb wind force

Just to be sure, this is the product id GV-NTITANOC-6GD-B we are talking about? The please choose from the bottom four products from this category. When in doubt, you can always double check with our compatibility list.

Please let me know if you need further advice :)

Back