• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basement Stair Rack Project - Node Zero

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think the cooling solution is being overthought you will most likely be fine if the server case flow is from front to back. front being the side facing you. that way they will always be pulling in cool air from the room. unless the under stairs is sealed in completely even that shouldnt matter.
looks cool though good luck with the build.
biggest thing being in the basement if you dont have a dehumidifier might look into one for down there.

Happy birthday! :bday:

I like that blower vent idea, just pipe it out a window!

Thanks SP. The square holes will push air along the wall up in front of the servers to intake, then at the back corner(opposite wall at the top) there will be an exhaust vent.

i think the cooling solution is being overthought you will most likely be fine if the server case flow is from front to back. front being the side facing you. that way they will always be pulling in cool air from the room. unless the under stairs is sealed in completely even that shouldnt matter.
looks cool though good luck with the build.
biggest thing being in the basement if you dont have a dehumidifier might look into one for down there.

The air cooling system is only being considered and thought at this stage as I need to take in account the size of the vent box that will be located underneath the servers. For now, you're right that in its open environment the front to back server fans will work. Just always a fan of future proofing anything I can :D And yes of course I have a dehumidifier already.... although the basement stays super dry unless it's been raining heavy for a few days. I can run the dehumidifier for several days and barely get more than a cup of water.

That duct blower will be LOUD! I've not worked with one but I've seen them on several shows (about construction) and they are the root of all that is evil.

I agree that you are overthinking the cooling solution. Also, for CAT-5/6, you don't need conduit. Unless you have a specific reason for it, skip it.

That duct blower will be LOUD! I've not worked with one but I've seen them on several shows (about construction) and they are the root of all that is evil.

I agree that you are overthinking the cooling solution. Also, for CAT-5/6, you don't need conduit. Unless you have a specific reason for it, skip it.

The conduit is because I'll be running the lines through two closets, it just will look cleaner than a bundle of wires. :p

Good Post Memorial Day to everyone! All I can say is thank goodness for holiday breaks from work, or I’d get nothing done around the house.

Speaking of getting things done….. my wife’s ultimatum was I couldn’t work on anything for Node Zero unless I finish her craft desk. So…. I give you her craft table/desk.

IMG_0882.JPG

So update on Node Zero, I have received my packages.

First to arrive was my tiny 8 port Gigabit switch(this of course will get upgraded to something like a 24 port in the future when more cable runs are needed. DVD for reference.

IMG_0867.JPG

Second was the marvelous packages from Monoprice.com *flex* Patch cables on top were picked up for $.75 at a thrift store in new condition.

IMG_0870.JPG

First package held my 24 port patch panel, 6 inch patch cables, wall plates and keystone jacks for my first 2 runs( 1 to Family room(TV), 1 to Office). Like an idiot I ordered a punchdown tool from China off Ebay. After stressing about it not arriving for another month, I was happy to find they included the same tool with the patch panel!

IMG_0871.JPG

Second package is my lovely box of red CAT 6 cable. A thousand feet of cable running glory.

IMG_0872.JPG

That’s all I have for today…… hopefully I won’t have to wait for the next holiday to get these cables ran. :thumb:

So a couple quick updates...

First... new hardware! I picked up a Dell PowerConnect 5524 24 port Gig Switch for $25. Should be here on Friday *cheer*

DellPE 5524.jpg

Second, I came across some wood building materials for the rack for super cheap *cough* free *cough*. I don't have pictures of all the wood yet but when I do I'll post the backstory of getting the great deal. :D

Last but not least, I'm taking a 10 day July 4th weekend...... so I hope to at least have the cables ran and network connected up by the end. My biggest slowdown right now is finding the best route for the cables up through the stairs. My plan is to run my 1 1/4 conduit from basement to attic for future expand ability. Also a friend and his family is coming down for a couple days, so I might have to recruit him to help. Once the conduit is in place then I can run the cables super easy even by myself.

Wish me luck and stay tuned!

Building Materials Update:

Backstory -

My company does a lot of volunteer work with the United Way foundation. I signed up to do some minor construction work last Thursday at the local Boys and Girls Club. Minor work included reworking a closet to be a backpack storage room, and make the existing door into a half door. They disassembled shelving in the storage room along one wall to make room for the backpack hooks and left us a pile of lumber to use however we needed it.

We used the 8ft 2x4s to create mounting rails for the backpack hooks to screw into. This was easier than putting the hooks straight into the cinder block.

IMG_0912.JPG

The half door was a little more difficult as the door jam was metal and commercial. This caused some small issue when mounting the 4th hinge for the top of the door.

IMG_0913.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG

Well, I tell you that story to say that after the job was done and we were cleaning up, we inquired where to put all the leftover lumber. They planned on just trashing it as leaving it around would be a safety hazard for the kids and workers. I volunteered to take the wood with me and they were more than happy to let me take it.

So I give you the motherload of free lumber and screws(3" wood screws). I think I should have enough to build in my rack under the stairs. Now I just need to save up and buy a couple rack rail sets.

IMG_0917.JPG
IMG_0918.JPG
IMG_0919.JPG

Great score Dalchi! :thup:

Thanks Neb. It came in hand this morning when I dug out the saw.

Ahhhh so THAT'S where it's from!!!

yep now the real story is out.

In other news, the switch arrived as a 5524 woot. The ebay post was a little crazy, the title and info had it at a 5224 but the pictures showed a 5524. Also got a little work on the rack done this morning. Got the boards marked and cut for the frame and top piece of ply. I hope to have a good update very soon with the rack assembled and the server shelves installed on the right side. Then it's just a matter of running the cables and hooking everything up. *cheer*

IMG_0927.JPG

So I got cables ran and jacks installed. One of my biggest time issues. I basically took most of the day yesterday and just got it done. Also have a couple pictures of my rack progress for you. I would have more rack photos but I forgot to take in account the cross beam that’s cemented into the floor. My horizontal braces are a couple inches too long.

But here’s the planning doodles, cuts marked and one of the rack squares.
IMG_0933.JPG
IMG_0934.JPG
IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG

Then the cabling begins, my smallest hole saw was 2 ½ inches… about an inch too big for my conduit. Stuck running lines through existing holes.
IMG_0952.JPG

What a mess
IMG_0953.JPG

Labeling is a must
IMG_0954.JPG

Living room jack installed behind TV
IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0958.JPG

Climbing through the attic for the upstairs runs.
IMG_0959.JPG

Master bedroom jack installed behind desk
IMG_0960.JPG

Using the punchdown tool wasn’t as hard as I imagined
IMG_0956.JPG

It lives!!
IMG_0957.JPG

Next order of business will be migrating the modem, PFSense router, and server down and get them connected. Then I can finish building my rack and slide out trays for my tower builds.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Coming along nicely! :thup:

Awesome!
I'm thinking of fishing some Cat6 through the walls here too...

Back