• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Q9400 Beyond 3.6GHz On Air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well..........that PSU is a time bomb. I've seen stranger things happen on a crappy PSU. I'd change that out and try again.
Well you know what, I think this DOES have something to do with the voltage or power. I just managed to get into windows with 460FSB, 1.4V CPU Voltage (though Win10 crashed almost immediately after loading).
I'll try changing the PSU, how's the Antec VP500PC or Thermaltake TR2-550 PP?

All the TR2's are the same. Use the Antec.
Well, I was able to obtain the Seasonic x-series 650w 80+ gold, which from what I've seen isn't a slacker's PSU, and unfortunately, I still can't go over 450 FSB. Maybe I'm not volting the CPU enough? I haven't gone over 1.4V, which with Vdrop is about 1.38V, but then again, I'm able to obtain perfect stability @ 1.33V 450 FSB.

i have reread this thread a few times, maybe im forget full the older i get or it wasnt brought up. are you actively cooling the NB/sb? what voltage are you running through the CPUVTT/NB/SB/FSBvoltage. lucky for you i still have all my photos of the bios on my photobucket account from my IP35 pro thread here in the forums.

To kind of get a recap here, what bios version are you using on the IP35-pro? as well as the voltages from this screen here
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/Abit IP35-pro/cpuvlow.jpg
also did you leave the PCIE speed at 100 or did you set it to 101/102. i know people say not to go to high but in the past for ocing even with so called PCIE auto locking speed, it doesnt always work at 100. i used 101 for testing but at one point i was running 104 or 106mhz pcie buss speed with no data corruption to the HDD's, it did wonders for my video card though. fixed some slight lagging type issues in games.

honastly i wouldnt blame the board first running that high a fsb means heat and the NB is going to hold it back. doesnt matter what board some kind of active cooling to get to and/or run 500mhz fsb is going to need better cooling. with such a low cost i would almost tell you to get a Q6600 quad G0 for the higher multi for ocing plus it runs as cool as a 45nm quad. i personally think at some point if you want more speed you need a cpu with a higher multi then what the Q9400 has.

i have reread this thread a few times, maybe im forget full the older i get or it wasnt brought up. are you actively cooling the NB/sb? what voltage are you running through the CPUVTT/NB/SB/FSBvoltage. lucky for you i still have all my photos of the bios on my photobucket account from my IP35 pro thread here in the forums.

To kind of get a recap here, what bios version are you using on the IP35-pro? as well as the voltages from this screen here
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/Abit IP35-pro/cpuvlow.jpg
also did you leave the PCIE speed at 100 or did you set it to 101/102. i know people say not to go to high but in the past for ocing even with so called PCIE auto locking speed, it doesnt always work at 100. i used 101 for testing but at one point i was running 104 or 106mhz pcie buss speed with no data corruption to the HDD's, it did wonders for my video card though. fixed some slight lagging type issues in games.

honastly i wouldnt blame the board first running that high a fsb means heat and the NB is going to hold it back. doesnt matter what board some kind of active cooling to get to and/or run 500mhz fsb is going to need better cooling. with such a low cost i would almost tell you to get a Q6600 quad G0 for the higher multi for ocing plus it runs as cool as a 45nm quad. i personally think at some point if you want more speed you need a cpu with a higher multi then what the Q9400 has.
Hey man, thanks for replying!
1. I haven't made any special attempt to cool the SB/NB. Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure how to do it...
2. As for the rest of the voltages, here you go:
tjxy2Lk.jpg
3. My Bios Version is 18, which is the latest I could find. (P35-W627DHG-6A790A1BC-00 B05)
4. Never touched the PCI-E speed. Heard it might cause trouble.
5. I have my old Q6600 G0 sitting in a box somewhere, but it never OC'd well, I couldn't get it stable past 3.33GHz and it had much higher temps than my current Q9400. As for a different CPU, I guess the only noticeable difference will be with Q9650, which is not easy to find cheap, or a Xeon, which I can get for cheap but couldn't get to work on my abit IP35 pro. It had some issues such as "unsupported processor" BSOD and double-boot.

Back