• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX10xx, Polaris and Vega discussion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M@rk

I really want to buy a blower style card at summer but i dont want to spend another 130(ish) bucks on the card (prices in israel are stupid.) when i can get the same card for lower price.
Do you think Nvidia will allow the manufacturers to create a blower style card?
I really want to finally buy a good card that will serve me good for at least 4 years (Probably 1080p, high to medium settings in games that will be released 2 years from now.)
Thanks for replying :D

Last edited:
Hey M@rk. My understanding is that nVidia doesn't force manufacturers to cool the cards any specific way. Instead they allow them to create multiple styles of coolers. It's unlikely that any manufacturer will make a blower style as the are louder and generally don't sell as many. IIRC. I may be off on this but your most common cards are dual and triple fan designs.

Yes... but the pricing is likely going to be the same inflated number. It is typical for AIBs to put their 'sticker' on a reference card.

http://videocardz.com/59771/gigabyte-and-galax-announce-its-geforce-gtx-1080-founders-editions
http://videocardz.com/59759/inno3d-announces-geforce-gtx-1080

Ok :D, Hope its going to fit my budget and will be an affordable GPU cause im going to work 5 days a week for 2.5 months for this GPU and i want my case as cool as it can be (without alot of fans). also In the demo (Is it a demo?) Nvidia showed the 1080 was overclocke and it was 27c so i dont think it will be loud. If the 980 was about 750$(Im guessing, didnt check the price when it was released, israel price.) when it launched(Now 660$) will it be a wise buy to buy the 1070 or the 1080? I mean i know the resolution is low for such a card but i want it to last as long as it can on the same resolution and maxing out settings in the next 2 years at atleast 70fps(dont ask me why 70, just want that number.). We cant still be sure what card is a better bangforthebuck but i hope the 1080 will be the one.

I think there are more things to worry about than to keep your case cool, honestly. I wouldn't hesitate to get aftermarket cooled 1070/1080s and let it dump in the case. Sure, your CPU will be a couple of C warmer, but, you have a tiny overclock and a huge cooler. If it was me, I would save your money and go for aftermarket.

27C was an idle temperature I am sure. Can't go by that.

980 MSRP was $549 here in the states. No clue in Israel.

I wouldn't go 1080 for 1080p resolution... but if you want that (odd) 70 FPS, then perhaps its best to get the 1080. Your CPU will likely put some sort of a glass ceiling on the 1080 at 1080p in some titles though.

Personally I'm keeping an eye in the 1070. Almost half the cost and still out performs the Titan X. We still haven't seen any real world results but I'm anxiously waiting.

I think there are more things to worry about than to keep your case cool, honestly. I wouldn't hesitate to get aftermarket cooled 1070/1080s and let it dump in the case. Sure, your CPU will be a couple of C warmer, but, you have a tiny overclock and a huge cooler. If it was me, I would save your money and go for aftermarket.

27C was an idle temperature I am sure. Can't go by that.

980 MSRP was $549 here in the states. No clue in Israel.

I wouldn't go 1080 for 1080p resolution... but if you want that (odd) 70 FPS, then perhaps its best to get the 1080. Your CPU will likely put some sort of a glass ceiling on the 1080 at 1080p in some titles though.

Ehh, Will need to buy a better CPU cooler or delta fans to put on the cooler and oc it to 4.6 or something like that

Personally I'm keeping an eye in the 1070. Almost half the cost and still out performs the Titan X. We still haven't seen any real world results but I'm anxiously waiting.

I will consider it, but i hope it will preform much better(about 20% higher minimum FPS) in say GTA v than the titan x

Ehh, Will need to buy a better CPU cooler or delta fans to put on the cooler and oc it to 4.6 or something like that
Depends on how much voltage it takes to get your CPU there. You can test and find out... See where your temps max out. Then, if your case temps raise by 5C then your CPU temps will also raise by that amount.

a 980 will do what you want out of it now at 1080p, wait for the new cards to release and the 980 cards will fall in price so you can pick from 4-5 cards that will do the job for you.

a 980 will do what you want out of it now at 1080p, wait for the new cards to release and the 980 cards will fall in price so you can pick from 4-5 cards that will do the job for you.

Not in israel, They just take the cards off the shelves, And if I do stumble upon a 980 then it will still be at least 400$

I will test the oc in the summer, And I live in Israel so the temps here are 30c-40c(about 100f?) in the summer, And I don't have a conditioner or whatever its called(the thing that take air from the outside and cool it).

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not see that on the Nvidia performance chart?

Jenson (I think that's his name) mentioned it in the hype video.
I could be true I was just looking at the chart at Anandtech to see where they got this information. The GTX 1080 is 9 TFLOPs the GTX 1070 is 6.5 TFLOPs and the GTX 980 is 5 TFLOPs, GTX 780 is 4.1 TFLOPs I look up what the Titan x has for TFLOPs and it is 7. So we will have to see how the efficiency is when they bench test the 1070, there running the same memory as before GDDR5.

I could be true I was just looking at the chart at Anandtech to see where they got this information. The GTX 1080 is 9 TFLOPs the GTX 1070 is 6.5 TFLOPs and the GTX 980 is 5 TFLOPs, GTX 780 is 4.1 TFLOPs I look up what the Titan x has for TFLOPs and it is 7. So we will have to see how the efficiency is when they bench test the 1070, there running the same memory as before GDDR5.

Yeah personally I'm very skeptical that the 1080 "has the performance of a titan X"

It might come close but no way that it beats is.

Not sure why it's so hard to believe the 1080 will outperform the Titan X.

Agree. Other than our feelings being hurt ( including me looking at my 1 year old GTX980TI SC and trying to explain to it that a "little 16 nm" card will out perform it).

Time marches on PLUS this is a big step in gpu architecture (28 nm down to 16 nm).

I'm thinking with the architectural efficiencies, the 1070 is going to be close. Faster than a 980, and smelling the titanx/980ti...

Back