• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia GTX 1080/1070.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have two AMD/ATI HD 7870 cards making 150kPPD and burning lots of power. I could double my output and halve my power usage. A Ti would be nicer, but I can't invest that much skin in the game.

So has the Windows client finally caught up with the Linux client, or is it just too much hassle to keep the Linux client running across multiple farm machines?

Windows is still slower. If cash is an issue, wait until the new cards come out, then either snag a cheap 970/980/980ti new or 2nd hand.

That's what I'm going to do, or spring for a 1070 and it will mean that I can upgrade the 670 in my daily driver when I retire the 970.

Yea, that seems to be pretty standard for microcenter on their really good deals. :( They want to get you and your wallet inside the store.

It was online, but then they changed it. So my online wallet was ready to walk in and buy something. Now it's not getting anywhere near the stores.

Courtesy of ArsTechnica;

"In FAHBench, the sheer grunt of the 1080 and its high clock speeds put it within striking distance of the R9 Nano in double precision floating point performance despite not featuring any dedicated FP64 cores. The same goes for Luxmark, another OpenCL-based benchmark that uses the GPU to ray-trace an image. AMD traditionally fares well in Luxmark, but just like in FAHBench, it turns out that just throwing a bunch of beefy clock cycles in there really does do the trick."

Synthetics.006-980x720.png

YES, PLEASE! :clap:

So are you saying that we are looking at the Double precision mark for folding?

It's not double, that's for sure, ref an old link. That test of the 780 showed ~20% increase in synthetic, but this GTX 1080 shows more like ~45%?
Just remember we should see factual folding first, and remember there's a price hike due to market share, and an early adaptor tax for the Founder Edition. Better cards from board partners will come, and we are likely to get "big" pascal with a Ti variant within...9 months?
Still getting one though :)

EDIT: Actually I was hoping the pre-orders opened today as well, as it would be fitting to order Founding editions on our National Day where we celebrate our "Founders" and the Constituition :)

EDIT2: Seems like local price will be equal to ~930 USD, lucky us :)

Last edited:
F@H point calculator: http://linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php

GPU ppd database: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vcVoSVtamcoGj5sFfvKF_XlvuviWWveJIg_iZ8U2bf0/pub?output=html#

P9135 seems to be a common project. A gtx 980 at 1256 MHz (close to stock boost) gets the job done in :85 seconds. This is 404k according to the database.
A stock gtx is 81% of the speed of a o/c 980 running at 1556 mhz.
This means the o/c gtx only needs 81% of the time needed. That is :69 estimated (85 seconds * 0.81) which matches the database of :68 and :70 found in the database or 567k ppd/545kppd
So the method seems to work.

The stock GTX 980 has 60% of the implicit performance of the stock GTX 1080.
This means a GTX 1080 can get the wu done in 60% of the time the GTX 980 needs.
So, 85 * 0.6 = 51 seconds.
Using the calculator .....
878k ppd. Not too bad for stock clocks!

Some really great info in this thread. Thanks guys. I will have time and the ability to pick the best "bang" for the buck this fall/winter. I will hit and sustain 2 million ppd. This is my stated goal.

Well, only a few more days until we get some solid folding numbers.
Looks like there are new rumors of the 1080ti NOT being HBM2, which would make it economical for folding.
https://www.techpowerup.com/222741/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-to-be-based-on-gp102-silicon

So, you might get over 1.5 million PPD from that card alone for maybe $700-800 OR
2x GTX 1080 if your goal is closer to 2 million ppd for $1200 OR
3x GTX 1070 will also get around the same ppd/$ but higher power consumption and a bigger mb.

edit: if the 1080ti will have twice the core count with similar speed as the 1070, and the 1070 should be getting 700k ppd, then the 108ti will get closer to 2 million ppd!!

Last edited:
Back