• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia GTX 1080/1070.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Looking at the latest announcement today from Nvidia, the new 10 series could be a real game changer for folders. Are you planning to get one (or more) when they come out? What impact do you think they will have on our pastime?

They claim twice the computing power of a Titan at a fraction of the power. I think I saw something like 130 watts with a 500 watt power supply recommended. Only one 8-pin connector per card.

I thought the only thing they said was double titanx was in VR performance? Did they say the same for compute?

we will have to wait and see.
980, 2000 something cores.
980ti, 2400 something cores.
1080, 2500 something cores.

I plan on getting a 1080 when they release if my move does not come in the way.
The 1080 is 2560 cores whereas the 980ti is over 2800 cores, however, the 1080 runs 1600 mhz stock and is said to be a great overclocker as well.

There will inevitably be a 1080ti, but rumor has it that it will be using HDM 2 which would make it great for gaming but less of a value for folding. Also, it will most likely be 6 months later or more.
The 980ti is about $550 now, but the $600 1080 seems to be worth the wait.

Even the 1070 is said to match or beat the 980ti, at least in games, and is launching early June. The next month should be fun.

@ Don - looks like your farm is struggling. Are you ready to switch to team green like me?

Last edited:
no, the 980 and 980ti are.
980's make 400,000 ppd at about the same draw as the 970 making 300,000

This new hardware has me very interested. Unfortunately my wallet is still on life support. :(

I'm curious to see how well the 1070 performs for PPD/W on a stable air OC.

I don't keep loyalty to a corporation. I'll be going with whatever I can afford and produces the best bang for the buck. When I begin to rebuild my farm, I will have to look at my need vs the amount of money I can spend. I did get excited when I saw the announcement of the 10 series though. Time is tempering that excitement as I get past all of the marketing hooha. We'll see where it all levels out.

For me, I have too many moving parts that I bought already used and abused. I'll be going a different direction next time. Also, my electric bill is killing my wife.

The only downside is the extra $150 draw on the wallet.

GTX 970 FTW 265,000 PPD for 330$ vs GTX 980 Ti FTW 645,000 PPD for 635$. I will take the 980 Ti FTW to maximize my slots and production every time. ;)

970 FTW x 2 Rig
image_zpsyunljufr.jpeg

980 Ti FTW x 2 Rig
image_zpsz4fjswve.jpeg

Again this is two cards in a board, but you get the idea. :thup:

Last edited:
my 980, non ti makes 400,000 ppd at about the same wattage that my 970 make 300,00 ppd, ppd/watt.
now the get in price is a horse in diferent panties.

Mac, those pics look like they are taken outdoors. Are you "air cooling" your rigs?

Basement. Air cooling? You could say that. Using repurposed Antec Skeleton cases I have around from dual GPU card days. Remember the good old GTX 295's? I used to LOVE dual GPU cards. You name it, it is probably laying around my house. ;)

image_zps6ako1ebt.jpeg

That explains the 10 mega PPD I've been seeing. I'm assuming it's the Linux client.

Windows only.

Back