• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Novice Nimble #9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lochekey said:
why can't you run stage 5 with your 390
I knew someone was gonna bring that up. I actually can, I think...
Not sure if it will fit in the White Elephant. I will find out...
Plus the 390 currently has the water block on it, just need a little workbench time to put the fans back on.
So, I'll try to get around to it if it makes a difference.

Johan said:
As always with the GPU as fast as it'll go and not crash.
Ahh, the essence of my quest for knowledge.
Disregarding each bench's' individual personality,
say you just want to clock the gCard as high as it will go and not crash.
Burn it out!

Where do you want your cpu, system, et. al. to be?
For example, I have a (what I consider) a really good/stable profile with 48x, DDR @3866, etc.
Do I want to use this profile when cranking up the gCard?
Or back-off a little and run lower cpu and/or lower-looser DDR setting?
So in a general basis, how do you get the most out of your gCard.
Then once I can understand that, I can apply your recommendations...
Until then, like I have said before, "Just a monkey in a cage..."!

I'm gonna get my sig back up so this makes sense.
It was getting long and the system wasn't taking it and it hosed all the formating, etc., blah blah
Anyone recommend a good bb-code editor?

In case you missed it before, here is the whole dilly-o on the G7 Z170x and OC settings.
http://hackinc.net/fathertimeAIDA64.html

Cheers!

I knew someone was gonna bring that up. I actually can, I think...
Not sure if it will fit in the White Elephant. I will find out...
Plus the 390 currently has the water block on it, just need a little workbench time to put the fans back on.
So, I'll try to get around to it if it makes a difference.

Well it was more confusion on my part about needing an AMD cpu. I just figured you would run it in the current Intel system but obviously that will not work.

This is how I approach my 3D benching. Every nsystem is different so i treat them that way. The LBB is a great resource, if there's something you don't understand then ask but it the lounge.I leave the system at a moderate speed to keep heat down and card is locked at boost speed to prevent too many variables. Typically I start in Win7x64 but lately i don't bother with some of the older ones I just install XP. I'll also test in Win10 AMD cards tend to like it better sometimes. Usually you see one that it just prefers on some benchmarks it can be over 10K points. Then I narrow it down with a few different drivers and LOD settings. Nw I try the system. GFX first CPU is still the same and I get it to where it'll finish the bench almost all the time and still give positive scores. Too much sometimes will hurt your score. Then I push the CPU watch your scores, make sure you're still gaining. Today I tried quad vs dual vs single channel ram on 3Dvantage. For me it was a wash. Didn't find any significant difference on X99. I did raise the uncore/NB/cache by 100 and scored enough to rais one position in DIV 1. So when i get to the point of freezing things I'm already 90% done then it's just finding the CPU/ GPU speeds at 1.7v

EDIT: Typically with ram it's speed over timings in 3D

Try CpuCool

http://www.cpufsb.de/DOWNLOAD.HTML

I use it on the White Elephant with both the Athlon X2 and sempy le.
Its "shareware". I actually registered mine and gave the guy a few extra euros.
There is no disabled functionality, that which works anyway. Its a little cludgy...
Just some annoying pop-ups here and there asking you to register.
But most important it clocks your FSB up to 266x. I started at .19 or something ridulous.
I got the X2 up to around 222x I think for the that stage, and posted a much better score that actually gave me points.
Try it! You'll like it!

Cheers

Whoa is that all you guys have for AMD CPUs? That'll make it real hard to be competitive

Johan45 said:
Whoa is that all you guys have for AMD CPUs?...
uh, err, yes Boss:shrug::shrug::shrug:

That's all we got between the two of us.
White Elephant is my only AMD set-up and is obviously old-school.
If I was gonna look for a used/last-gen AMD board/cpu, something serviceable, what should I look for?
I really know nothing about AMD cpu's/boards, expect that I don't know anything.

Prost

If you want something for benching I'd start with AM3+ such as a Sabertooth 990fx, FX CPU or a good PII/Thuban. AM3+ board will run many older CPUs as long as they have the DDR3 controller. The Phenoms and thubans are still nearly the price of a new FX CPU so.......... it's nearly a wash there.

“I am a sick man... I am a wicked man. An unattractive man” - Фёдор Миха́йлович Достое́вский

Man, talk about an existential crisis.

What is my purpose benching?
Why do I bother?
Why do I mod?
How do my activities define my self-worth.
Is this swollen?!
Wow, never noticed that dent in my head, hope I don't go bald
And finally, why do I need more hardware?
To compete? Well yeah, wasn't planning on buying.
Existential crisis averted due to 30% off FX-9370 Black Edition at NewEgg!!

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$179.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C11D-16GXL
$63.99

AMD FX-9370 Vishera 8-Core 4.4 GHz Socket AM3+ 220W FD9370FHHKBOF Desktop Processor - Black Edition
$189.99

Luego

“I am a sick man... I am a wicked man. An unattractive man” - Фёдор Миха́йлович Достое́вский

Why do I bother?
Why do I mod?
Is this swollen?!

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$179.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C11D-16GXL
$63.99

AMD FX-9370 Vishera 8-Core 4.4 GHz Socket AM3+ 220W FD9370FHHKBOF Desktop Processor - Black Edition
$189.99

Luego

And that's why I have an A-10 6800k in my shopping cart.

Why do I bother?
Why do I mod?
Is this swollen?!

$179.99

$63.99

$189.99

Luego

And I thought I was doing good when I found a phenom x3 8600b to drop into this system today.

Can't touch that though^^^^^.

It should do beter than the single core you posted but it's still gonna suffer. Plus it's gonna run really hot. Not sure if they're as bad as Agena core like the 9850 I had

Yea I'm not sure but I figure for 7 bucks I'll give it a try.

Hey why not. It'll be better than a single core hopefully ha ha. With the 9850 x4 I got 330 in R15 so you should get close to 3/4 of that. Just spent tonight testing Win7 32 with install and everything spent 2+ hours and no gains. :(

"I feel dirty! I took a shower and could not scrub it off. Dirty, dirty, dirty..."

Lochekey said:
And I thought I was doing good when I found a phenom x3 8600b to drop into this system today.

Hell no Bro, that's awesome you were able to pick up something!
"Good" is a relative state of perception.
Am I good in the fact of being much more competitive with AMDs, and stoked to learn some AMD Hacks yes, most definitely!!
Am I good that I dropped the coin on a total impulse buy, that in 1st World problems, really can't afford right now, not really?!
I don't feel remorse, but a nagging guilt. No worries I will eat it up and spit out its blackness. I'll be fine. :cool:

So that FX-9370 Vishera 8-Core 4.4 GHz Black should be pretty good, right?!
I was looking at some 9350 for around $180. Then saw the 30% instant rebate on this.

Also that Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AM3+ is one fugly mobo!
Probably gonna have some question this weekend, 3-day delivery.

Tots Zien

I have a couple 9370s and too many other FX cpus TBH. Did I feel bad getting them hells no. I am going to have to unload some of these real soon with Zen around the corner. I have a feeling they're not going to keep value like the phenoms did. The Sabo may not be the prettiest unless you want to do a Camo theme but I can say it's tough as nails. The 5 year guarentee is nice too. I'm going to freeze the 5960x this weekend and then work on the APU that's inbound. Trying to compete in DIV 1 and 5

So I'm thinking of picking up an am2 board to try and push these chips a little further any recommendations?

I figure once Zen comes around I may invest more heavily in AMD

Johan said:
...going to have to unload some of these real soon with Zen around the corner...
Yeah, I was reading about that Zen thing. I think AMD has way too many "code-names".
Trying to read the AMD history via proc and/or mobo series release order/date is impossible. Gonna have to Wiki it for knowledge's sake.
I may have to pick up a few of those chips you are gonna unload, especially the good ones:clap:
as I can score points with them as an "Enthusiast"....

Speaking of that, Considering we (Lochekey and myself) are the only seriously active Novices...
maybe this is a good place for you to give myself and Lochekey(who probably already knows) a brief heads up on what to expect and/or concentrate on?

or take it to the lounge...?

I assume there is no shortage in the Enthusiast's League as we are at the top of the Bell curve now. I switch June 28th. Lochekey more or less around the same I believe.
I am sure I'll get some goofy message from HwBot telling me all about it. I guess my purchase move is in part preparation for the next League. (awesome - another justification, sweet!)

yawn...Buenas

So I'm thinking of picking up an am2 board to try and push these chips a little further any recommendations?
This is about as good as it gets for AM2+ but they're still expensive http://www.ebay.com/itm/DFI-Lanpart...968371?hash=item1a13b7e473:g:llQAAOSwKIpV~h7t
Look for something with the 790 chipset. That's usually a good place to start. I've had my eye open for a while but just haven't wanted to pay what they're asking

Yeah, I was reading about that Zen thing. I think AMD has way too many "code-names".
Trying to read the AMD history via proc and/or mobo series release order/date is impossible. Gonna have to Wiki it for knowledge's sake.
I may have to pick up a few of those chips you are gonna unload, especially the good ones:clap:
as I can score points with them as an "Enthusiast"....

Speaking of that, Considering we (Lochekey and myself) are the only seriously active Novices...
maybe this is a good place for you to give myself and Lochekey(who probably already knows) a brief heads up on what to expect and/or concentrate on?

or take it to the lounge...?

I assume there is no shortage in the Enthusiast's League as we are at the top of the Bell curve now. I switch June 28th. Lochekey more or less around the same I believe.
I am sure I'll get some goofy message from HwBot telling me all about it. I guess my purchase move is in part preparation for the next League. (awesome - another justification, sweet!)

yawn...Buenas

AMD and INTEL all use code names for their core foundations. When at the bot check in HW for CPUs and you'll see them all if you go to architecture and expand some of the options.
For AMD advice, there's a very good thread going in the AMD section by the name of Just Putzen. There is a ton of info there. I think it's over 10K posts now. It'll probably be best if you ask specific questions when needed. In general with AMD High NB speeds, keep HT as close to stock as possible or lower for stability and moderate ram speed with as tight of timings as you can manage. This is where you'll want to get some good elpida(BBSE/Hyper) DDR3 like G.Skill Pi/Flares or Corsair dominator in the 2000 range. Good sticks will do CL7 or better at that speed

Back