• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Novice Nimble #9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Johan said:
...there is no right answer.
careful now, dont put me in another existential crisis...

Couple questions:
1. Do I need to restart 3D Van each time I change the LOD?
2. Should I expect consistent results at the same LOD value?
3-is realtime priority important?

Cause I set it, say to 3. It runs, but washes out towards the end, but I get a 10+ bumb in FPS.
I run again, it runs clean, and I am back stuck at ~165.

Many of these times I was just changing the LOD and re-running test, without closing.

Also, after the test, back at the UI, the priority is set back to "Normal".
So do I need to reset it as well each time?

Thanks for these clarifications, as otherwise I am unsure if my adjustments are actually having any effects?

Lochekey said:
...hopefully the trend will continue with that new AMD chip
Keep a look out for an update to The Bianch proj log later...

Prost

As for closing the 3dVan test sometimes you need to for "driver changes" which is technically what you are doing. I've also found a reboot can make a difference as well. The set LOD will still be set afterward

Done with Stage 4 - 3D Van

Johan said:
The set LOD will still be set afterward
I have affectionately come to refer to it as LŌD. As in LŌD o' Shiat.

No really though, I still have no idea what the hell its supposed to be doing!
Every run is different and I am unable to see a consistent pattern.

Like I run gpu test-1 with Miss Nash, say at LŌD 3. I get a 165ish one time, and it runs clean.
When it seems to work, as far as score bump, towards the end it totally washes out all crazy!
But if I let it be it runs and continues?! with 175ish.

Then when I try the complete Bench, nothing works as when I tested scenes individually.
Especially when tuning for cpu test1 and trying to get things to go at 4900 Mhz with BLK of x140.

In the end I lower my cache/uncore multi to get ~4600 Mhz there.
And I rebooted before every test. What a pain in the arse.
Anyhoo, finally broke 50000 with a whopping margin:
http://hwbot.org/submission/3238132...tage___performance_radeon_r9_390x_50150_marks

Hey Johan!
Can you shed some light on why there are only a total of 13 places for this sub/card?
RADEON R9 390X RANK: 7th out of 13!?
This something to do with HwBot finally recognizing difference between AMD 290 and 390 cards?
Is this significant? With a little work and +900 points I could hit 5th.

I'll save it for another day.
Pulling G7 and getting the SaberTooth running tomorrow so I can work on Stage 5 w/ same card.

Buenas

Got subs in for stage 3 and 4. May try to make some improvements on them but don't think it will be enough to snag us first place.

Thanks for the input quickfast.

So have not posted an update lately. We are currently fighting back and forth for second place with Cowcotland. They currently have a 13 point lead on us. After reviewing the different stages it appears that our best chance to strike back is stage 4. If we can overtake them we will gain 9 points and they will lose 5 giving us a overall lead of 1 point. To overtake them in this stage between Swarthack and myself we need to improve our Vantage scores by a combined 5000 points. I am hoping we can get some help improving these scores.

I have yet to do a lot of driver testing and am wondering if this will make a large difference.

I have been running Win7 but was wondering if a different version is better like Vista or Win10.

I have also not spent much time with tuneing ram so I might pick some up here.

Thanks in advance,
Lochekey

3Dvantage with AMD first I would squeeze the card as hard as possible the GPU portion scores heavier. CCC 3d settings under games set tesselation to off, you can try triple buffering to see if that helps also Win7x64 is usually the best but Win10 with AMD cards can help. A lot of trial and error to get your best run. Kill services etc.. usually runs best after a fresh boot. The CPU as fast as it will go and still gain in the cpu test.

Thanks Johan,

I will see what I can do already pushing pretty hard so unless I get a magical cold snap in the weather here I might not do much better. We will see I got about 36 hours to play

So I can't do diddly in Stage 4 and 3D van, so it's all you to pick up those points brudda!
The G7 Z170X/6700k is currently mounted up in Father Time, and isn't ready to fire up.
So I won't be able to touch my current sub.

What about Stage 1, CineBench?
We are -2.7 behind the CowHeads.
I am not sure if that is an attainable increase from my current sub, but I will see.
I know Lochekey has maxed his locked proc here and could maybe squeeze a couple .01's, but inconsequential.

And Stage 5 3DMark05
If I assume my blocked sub of 28961 and Lochekey's 15186...
That puts us -13,663 behind the CowTurds.
I know I can hit into the mid thirties, but probably not +13,000 points.
I don't know how much room you got on that HD 7970?

Sooo...
It appears it may be all you Locheky to get those 5000 points in Stage 4.
I'll see what I can do, but remember!
The whole team is counting on you!!:cool:

Suerte!

Well I will work on it 5k points is a tall order. Trying to figure out how to push my 7970 part 1.3v don't think I will do much better otherwise. I'm also gonna test every driver available and see if I can find a good one.

Well i think it is time for me to throw in the towel for tonight. Was only able to improve my vantage score by 800 points which is a far cry from the 5000 point improvement we needed. Guess we will just have to see how the chips fall when the comp closes at this point. It has been fun everyone, I will update this with results as they come in over the next few days.

Big thanks to everyone who helped us out.

-Lochekey

That's a wrap folks

After it was all said and done, I believe Lochekey and I, as a two man team, dominated the last 4 Novice Nimbles.

NN6 - 5th place
NN7 - 4th place
NN8 - 5th place
NN9 - 3rd place - tentative (finally got a freaking cup)

Big ups to Lochekey who got me involved!
Looks like you got NN10 all to yourself:(
at least till August.

I am not sure the significance, or when I receive my stipend...
http://hwbot.org/league/novice?offset=6

It appears I managed a 16th place ranking among current Novices.
This is a badge of honor I will wear for the next three days...
As I fade into the obscurity of Enthusiast...

Paz

It appears I managed a 16th place ranking among current Novices.
This is a badge of honor I will wear for the next three days...
As I fade into the obscurity of Enthusiast...

Paz

Don't worry you'll be a nice obscure rank of 120 in the enthusiast league:D.

Just means it is time to start playing with the DICE.

Quickfast-thanks again for the advice. You saved us hours of needless testing.

Back