• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it a good time to buy a high-end laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomic888

So I've been looking to buy the high-end Clevo P870DM-G featuring GTX 980M SLI, i7-6700K (yes desktop), 16GB RAM,
950 PRO SSD, 4K-IPS with G-Sync.
Its an excellent laptop but costs a lot, hence I would have to make a very thoughtful decision.

As GTX 1070 & 1080 GPU's were announced recently, I was thinking whether I should wait a bit longer for the Pascal Mobile GPU's or
at least wait for the price of 980M to fall.
When will nVidia announce new mobile GPU's and do you think they will offer a great improvement over previous mobile generation?

Thanks

Pascal looks real good for the specifications. Pascal is good for future proofing on games.

The laptop you picked out has a 1920x1080p resolution and that will play the new games with the CPU and the GPU it has, also you will save money because Pascal will cost more.

It doesn't look like much of an upgrade from your Gigabyte P35X-V4. I think the mobile Pascal GPU is being released at Computex next month.

Not sure that Clevo can even be called a laptop-lol. Looks like it weighs a ton but the options are to die for. Plus at that price point might as well save up and get a Getac or something more suited to drops and spills imo.

I don't think you would see any real benefit upgrading to that laptop. May as well wait for the pascal mobile series to be released.

Not sure that Clevo can even be called a laptop-lol. Looks like it weighs a ton but the options are to die for. Plus at that price point might as well save up and get a Getac or something more suited to drops and spills imo.

Any 17" laptop is going to be relatively heavy. People don't buy usually buy 17" laptops for the weight, but it's still a million times more portable than a full tower ATX system with separate screens :)

Phones don't need gps to function at all. They need cell service. Gps is much more suited to an actual tablet or laptop. And yes, the higher end ones have it std. If I were to do any serious road trips or traveling, my phone would not be my first choice for directions and maps. I love osmand~ but certain things are better left to devices more suited. Good pictures need good cameras not phones, etc. I'll add to that that I personally do not like google attached to me like a cheap suit.

Last edited:
Back