• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Assstance with installing Win7 on ROG Ranger

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trivius

I have been going in circles with this since last night, not at the point of having a pounding headache and am totally lost.

I am wanting to setup a RAID1 on two SSD, which I did using the BIOS. The instructions do not make any sense to me, advising me to put in my Windows install disk, then replace that with the ASUS motherboard disk--WTF?

I have tried installing Widows in both RAID and non-RAID modes, but most of the time Windows will no longer detect either SSD and not allow me to proceed.

Whenever I reboot the BIOS states my drives have failed or about to fail and makes me press F1 (these are both brand new drives and are detected in the BIOS, and Windows was able to detect them at first, though I am thinking the BIOS does something to them to make them inaccessible.)

The instructions refer to something called the 100 Series, no idea what that is? And also about copying Windows to a USB drive--which is impossible to do, the DVD is not accessible for copyright protection Windows will not permit you download copies on preinstalled software.

I did manage to get into the install process only one time, but when Windows rebooted to continue the install, the BIOS took over and I could not continue loading Windows, so I was sent back to square one.

Also to note the only boot options in the BIOS boot menu section is my DVD drive.

And when I tried to access the ASUS motherboard DVD it just brings up FreeDOS.

Can I install Windows with the RAID setup by the BIOS or do I do that afterwards in the BIOS or though Windows?

I have never experience anything like this before, just trying to install an OS. I am really hoping somebody has the answer to moving forward with this, please, that would be wonderful! TIA

So, I reset BIOS, also came across an enable RAID setting, setup RAID1 with Ctrl+I, was able to install Windows 7 afterwards. However, I am having an issue with the so-called SMART feature, on reboot it states my drives are failing forcing me to F1, so the only way I can get into windows it to F1 and force reboot from one of the boot menus. I checked for a way to turn of the SMART-whatever and did not come across anything.

How do I get it to boot normally?

Also, the system is not detecting my Internet connection, neither in Windows or in BIOS, is there also a a way to resolve this too?

Okay, after about three-days of banging my head into the wall I am either completely delusional or I have resolved this issue--or perhaps a little of both?

It looks like during the process two of my ST SDD's SMART features failed, which I happened to have two spares for another build, so I will be RMA these two other new ones. However, I have to note that this was the most horrible experience setting up a PC I have ever had to date. I had to reinstall Windows about six times over before I finally got it working correctly and ended up going AHCI as Windows will not allow you to do backups on the same drive, even though it is being mirrored.

It seems that when attempting to OC on this board it does wonky things to your SATA connections, including referring to them by their code numbers, making them disappear, and blacking out the screen on reboot multiple times to the point were you decide to just reset the BIOS and start all setting from scratch.

Heh, I guess you do anything enough times, eventually you will get it right.

Last edited:
Windows 10 usb install.

And when doing a raid with SSDs I believe you need to have the RST drivers (not quite sure of the right driver, on mobile and will edit when I get home) ready.

Oops, see you said Windows 7 but procedure is still the same.

And the 100 series is probably referring to the motherboard series i.e. z170, h150, etc.

Back