• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

don256us

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jmtyra

Don, you're not looking at any new hardware purchases in the next, oh, say 6.7 months are you? Please say no. :p
I'm still in the planning stages and will probably need at least 3 - 6 months (+ wife approval) to ensure you stay in my "rear view mirror". ;)

fah don image.jpg

As an act of desperation, I setup a VM last month with a few threads on it just so I'm not idle. It bought me a little bit of time.

:chair:

Fold on good buddy!

:thup:

Lol, I think you are duck soup! You are lucky it is 6 months, since he was making over 1 million ppd not too long ago.

Hmmmm.... 6.7 months huh? Such a random, non-specific number. ;)

I will (WILL) be rebuilding the farm once the summer projects are done. You shall not pass [me]!

My goal is to earn 2 million ppd once I rebuild. I'm already crunching the $$$ and starting to set goals. You will have a few good months but once winter comes, I will be pulling the trigger. My hope is to be in the top 5 ppd as I can not afford to compete with HayesK, Macaholic and RoXQi3x. So plan accordingly my friend.

Yup! I just pulled a number out of the air. Nothing suspicious here! :D
Summer projects? Not until winter? OK, I can work with that. Challenge accepted! :thup:

I wanted to avoid the "summer slowdown" with dedicated cooling, which I'm installing this weekend. It's my 24x7x365 plan. :p
So once the PPD starts flowing, it will be flowing all year round. The PPD train won't stop for any season, any reason!

portable ac.jpg

Same here, I definitely can't afford to run with the top tier PPD crew (and stay married) but I love a challenge and someone to compete with.
That said, I am (basically) starting from scratch. No GPUs, yet, but hoping to snag a few GTX 1070 cards this summer once $$$ is available.

This will be fun!

:comp:

Yep. Looks like you and I will become fast friends as we battle it out. Good luck to ya. I'll be posting as I get to building. Of course, this does not count for any of my current hardware that I fix during the summer months so....

Looks like you are creating a dedicated circuit for your aircon. I had to run two 20 amp circuits for the failed farm. Be safe around your distribution panel.

Right now, I'm looking to price drops on the 980's and the 980Ti's to build my new farm. We'll see.

Yep. Looks like you and I will become fast friends as we battle it out. Good luck to ya.
Yes sir! :) And I'll probably need all the help I can get given how much hardware you have on-hand. It'll be fun either way. :)

Looks like you are creating a dedicated circuit for your aircon. I had to run two 20 amp circuits for the failed farm. Be safe around your distribution panel.
Definitely good advice. When we built the house, I had the electrician run 3x dedicated 20 amp circuits to the "datacenter" space. I'm only re-routing an existing circuit from one side of the room to another, as I don't feel comfortable poking around in my breaker box/distribution panel. Too many things that can bite you. On a positive note, the breaker box/distribution panel is just below the "datacenter" so new circuit installs should be pretty easy (for someone else to do).

Right now, I'm looking to price drops on the 980's and the 980Ti's to build my new farm. We'll see.
That's my dilemma as well...purchase previous-gen gear for less $$$ or buy the current-gen gear for more $$$ but more PPD and better PPD/W?
I guess until we see some actual hard numbers on the Pascal cards it will be hard to make a decision. Well that and getting wife approval.

yea, I can see you spanking him, with what? a dehumidifier for cooling????
I don't deliver spankings, only PPD. :p It's a "portable" AC unit, link here. It does dehumidify as well, though.

Well, your post got me to start to dissect my farm. I dropped my workstation rig from four cards to one and it is producing the same number of points. I have a second card in there but I do not think it is producing much. I will see when I get home. Depending on what I see, I will either try another "second" card or install a third and so on. Once I have that going, I can work on getting another machine going with what ever is left over. Over the next two weeks, I will be up and running with what I have on-hand.

I was wondering actually! The PPD was starting to drop and I was wondering if there were some issues going on. Sorry to hear about the card issues, it sounds very odd that the one card = four cards in terms of PPD. It's almost like it's only pushing one GPU at a time or something? Not very technical on my part, as I never participated in GPU folding (was 4P days when I left).

On a side-note, I finished the AC install over the weekend (although it was actually pretty mild weather). Definitely not pretty but it does the job. :)

datacenter ac.jpg

Hahaha!!!! ;) Naw, those are from construction, I'm not a handy man by any means. I had the HVAC guys put them in to vent the "data center" with outside air when it's cooler outside to save on the electric bill. Eventually I'll install an arduino controller with some relays for fans and actuators to turn on/off the airflow from outside based on the temp.

:thup:

your first picture doesn't really show the scale of the a/c unit, nice work.

- - - Updated - - -

hold on!!! you're in dallas and that's your attic!!!!!!! HOT! HOT! HOT!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Normally I would agree, except that it's professionally foam insulated and completely sealed. It's basically another room minus the aesthetics and traditional HVAC ductwork.

To bad your in Dallas or I would offer to run the circuits for you. If you ever feel up to trying it out yourself let me know and I can walk you through how to do it safely.

Yep. Looks like you and I will become fast friends as we battle it out. Good luck to ya. I'll be posting as I get to building.

Yes sir! :) And I'll probably need all the help I can get given how much hardware you have on-hand. It'll be fun either way. :)

That's my dilemma as well...Well that and getting wife approval.

I don't deliver spankings, only PPD. :p

eww... are you guys gonna make Folding babies?

To bad your in Dallas or I would offer to run the circuits for you. If you ever feel up to trying it out yourself let me know and I can walk you through how to do it safely.
Thank you! I will definitely keep that in mind when/if I need to run more circuits. :) :) :)

eww... are you guys gonna make Folding babies?
I can't afford babies!!!! That's good $$$ that could go towards GPUs!!!! :p

I'm sorry to report that my efforts to date are paying off. The machine that maxed out at 140k is now up to 480k as of this morning. It will take a while for my 24hr ppd to catch up but I am beginning to gain. My other rig is earning ~ 290k so I am around 800k right now. I will continue to add cards and see where that puts me. I have at least three cards that work in a machine that doesn't so I'm hoping to get over 1 million again soon.

Mind your step and get cracking.

I was wondering actually! The PPD was starting to drop and I was wondering if there were some issues going on. Sorry to hear about the card issues, it sounds very odd that the one card = four cards in terms of PPD. It's almost like it's only pushing one GPU at a time or something? Not very technical on my part, as I never participated in GPU folding (was 4P days when I left).

On a side-note, I finished the AC install over the weekend (although it was actually pretty mild weather). Definitely not pretty but it does the job. :)

View attachment 179279

Replace your flexable ducting with one of these. You will only need one. Attach the inner duct to your solid duct. Cut the inner duct so as to allow the R-6 insulation to cover all of your solid duct. Otherwise, that ducting will wick your coolness out at an alarming rate. I can't see that you'd need more than one.

I used this for my bath fans as I was losing too much heat. Both of my bathrooms had a marked difference in comfort since switching over. While I need to keep heat in during the winter, you need to keep cool in during the summer. An insulated duct will help reduce cooling costs and increase overall comfort for the machines.

I'm sorry to report that my efforts to date are paying off. [...] so I'm hoping to get over 1 million again soon.
<insert trash talking and general grumbling here>

That's awesome! Glad some "encouragement" prompted the fix/repair of your farm. :p
I have a puny 1P box I hope to get online soon to help delay your advancement, but CPU folding isn't what it used to be.
And I hate to buy any GPUs prior to Pascal coming out. Might have to lose a battle to win the war, as it were. Hmmm.....

Replace your flexable ducting with one of these. [...] Otherwise, that ducting will wick your coolness out at an alarming rate.
This...is...amazing! Why didn't I find this stuff when I was at the store last week?!?

Thank you! :thup:

Back