• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't overclock my FX 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robert-

The PC :
GA 970A UD3P (rev2)
FX 8350 + Cryorig H7
8GB Klevv Neo
XFX TS 550W

Ok so I disabled every AMD power saving feature and also manually put my Voltage to 1.34,let everything else stock and booted up my pc.
Tested prime95, 50Celsius after 15mins. Battlefield 4 for 40 mins got me 44C max.
Everything looks alright ,except :

1) My motherboard undervolts my cpu. I don't know why but in load it wont stay at 1.34. It sits below 1.3(had even 1.28..)
Everything seems stable (had my pc up for about 6hours now,slept a little and here I am..)

What can I do? LLC is set on auto but i don't think the motherboard has a working LLC...
When everything is on stock the voltage stays at 1.325 (on 100% load) and at 4.2(turbo) it sits at around 1.44 . So the voltage never dips.(So if it can stay at 1.44 on load,it's not the PSU,right?)
Did I miss something?

Last edited:
It's the board. It's an entry level item that doesn't have enough power phases for FX. LLC is either on or off, there is no other setting that works. You'll have to bump the voltage a little higher manually to compensate for the vdroop.

It's the board. It's an entry level item that doesn't have enough power phases for FX. LLC is either on or off, there is no other setting that works. You'll have to bump the voltage a little higher manually to compensate for the vdroop.

Not really a entry level as it has 8+2 VRM.
Anyway,i found the problem. The LLC was set on "auto" . I put it on "medium" and now the voltage is stable. (sometimes it dips a little ..)
But the temps are higher(expected).

My bad for not seeing the board revision.

HPC is enabled?
And being a Gig board, APM is enabled too?

Welcome to OCF Robert.
Yes the FX CPU gets very hot. Adding fans like pictured below can help to control the socket temperature a lot.
Capturefan.PNG vrm fans.jpg

^ Thanks! umm,i already have 5 fans in my case. I don't have any slot empty .
Can I power them directly from the PSU ? Won't it be loud?

I don't know why but when I enable HPC I can't overclock. It's locked on 4.0.
So i have it disabled.Same for APM

Now i'm on 4.2ghz and 1.36V . Stable ? ( Prime 95 for 15 mins,games for 1hr or so)..
Temps are :
While i was running prime95 it got to 62. While gaming 50-ish.

Also ,is my PSU ok for my configuration? I've been using the system for 5 months now without any problem. Can I push my Overclock or is my PSU a problem?

Last edited:
I'm just saying that they work. You might need to get some splitters for you case fans. Did you try HPC and APM enabled but also set the core boost/turbo to the same speed as your OC some Giga boards need that to prevent the double booting.

^hmm,the double boot seems to be fixed in the new revision. I mean,i have turbo off and my pc it's ok? (i guess?)

The turbo was the first thing i disabled. Same thing..

Is it safe to update my bios with the custom settings? I see on the product page that there is a new update..

Last edited:
You are still going to overheat the vrms not all 8+2 setups are created equal and if you even want to fathom running 4.7 or higher in games you'll need a different board. The vrms will throttle back on that.

Did you ever had this board to know ? I've seen even 5.0ghz stable on it without VRM cooling.
Never said I wanted more than 4.5 or 4.4 .

OK. Let's cut to the chase, shall we?
You haven't even proven stability at your current 4.2, let alone 5 gig.
You have a temp problem at almost stock setting at 4.2.
You refuse to add fans in the right places because you already have 5 that ain't cutting it.
You refuse to try the normal things that the experienced FX tweakers tell you to turn on and off.
You refuse to believe what experienced FX OC'ers tell you about your entry level board, and it IS entry level, in order to possibly save your hardware from destruction.
You then decide to get snotty with an experienced member trying to help you.

Tell me then, what do you want us to do for you?

4.5 should be a no brainer on almost any board. You're at 4.2......and not proven stable.
I don't believe 5 gig at all with your current cooling solution.

Did you ever had this board to know ? I've seen even 5.0ghz stable on it without VRM cooling.
Never said I wanted more than 4.5 or 4.4 .

The CHVF wont do 5ghz stable under load without VRM cooling, nor will the GB-990FX-UD7 you know the board that is multiple tiers higher than yours. You are welcome to argue and say it is fine just know I have probably thrown more 990FX boards in the trash than you have overclocked on...

I've done 4.5 without VRM cooling (just 120mm case fan in side window) 4.7 and it would throttle. This was under water, so cpu was cool.
4.5 was 24 hr Prime stable (not 24 minutes) and cpu never went over 60c.
This was an FX 8320e, on the UD3P. At least it ran for a few weeks... it's now an expensive chip protector on a shelf, keeping an old Phenom safe.

Listen, these folks are trying to help you.

Gotta agree here OP. These guys know what they are doing. By all accounts your temps should be less than mine or equal, as I am running 212 EVO as my cooler. You are missing something. Follow the advice above :)

Also, side note, you mentioned 5 fans. Are they decent fans or junk ones from best buy? It sounds like you may not be venting enough of your case air out. Or a bad cooler mount.

Back