• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google dropping Chrome??? Or just Chrome for XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I tried downloading it on window7 stock IE 11 and it blocked it, sweet thanks for having me check that also, you are great.:) Maybe your browser was not updated.

A very likely possibility. I have a tendency to uncheck the IE updates to save disk space since I don't use it. I very easily could have been on 9 or 10.

After and only after I disable antivirus Real-Time Protection, then Windows 8.0 IE 10 downloads it, it's still there on the HD downloded, but I do get

View attachment 179418

A very likely possibility. I have a tendency to uncheck the IE updates to save disk space since I don't use it. I very easily could have been on 9 or 10.

If you disabled "SmartScreen filtering", that might be eliminating the pre-emptive "don't download crap from this known source of crap" warnings :)

Yea.
On a somewhat related topic,
I tried and gave up on disabling Microsoft Internet Explorer scanning every downloaded file so "it" can tell me what "it" thinks of what I downloaded... "for my own good"...

I have a third party anti-virus real-time scanner, this is totally unnecessary. But apparently it cannot be disabled in any way.

Yea.
On a somewhat related topic,
I tried and gave up on disabling Microsoft Internet Explorer scanning every downloaded file so "it" can tell me what "it" thinks of what I downloaded... "for my own good"...

I have a third party anti-virus real-time scanner, this is totally unnecessary. But apparently it cannot be disabled in any way.

If it could be disabled a bazillion people would do so, download infected pr0n, and blame M$ and IE for their poor security and lousy browser. :rolleyes:

...but for some reason no one blames Chrome or Firefox for not needlessly scanning each and every file they download?
If you have a good anti-virus scanner on, what's the point, other than to raise (incorrect) conspiracy theories that the mandatory scanning is done for data collection?

This is not an issue because people can "simply" just use Chrome or Firefox, but it is a good example of what we mean when we say things are mandatory with Microsoft whereas those same things are a choice with some of their rivals... And choice = good.

...but for some reason no one blames Chrome or Firefox for not needlessly scanning each and every file they download?
If you have a good anti-virus scanner on, what's the point, other than to raise (incorrect) conspiracy theories that the mandatory scanning is done for data collection?

This is not an issue because people can "simply" just use Chrome or Firefox, but it is a good example of what we mean when we say things are mandatory with Microsoft whereas those same things are a choice with some of their rivals... And choice = good.

The people who would disable IE's protection features and continue to use IE (a rather completely illogical combination of choices to make) are the same ones who have never heard of Chrome or Firefox.

That's the crux of the problem.

Not all people are the same... that's why having options matter.
I use IE temporarily, for testing purposes.
Plenty of other computer knowledgeable people have their own reasons...

Making a (very) complicated difficult to get to registry option would address this. But at Microsoft they do this because the core company philosophy has always been NOT to give us options, and they can explain that away with security arguments but that is the core of the problem.

One thing to consider any virus or malware scanner only can scan for known virus or malware, that is why they need a weekly update, a lot of people don't know this.

While I agree with this completely, there are some situations where the software authors will be damned if they do and damned if they don't. Putting the responsibility for knowing on the user is the best way but some people are intellectually challenged.

Back