• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU temp 50C under light load.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNoobCaker

Hello everyone. I just completed my first water cooling loop yesterday and started running some benchmarks and everything is running fine. However, I have noticed that whenever the GPU is under heavy/full load, the CPU temperature will increase even if the CPU is under little load. I'm not sure if this is normal with water cooling, but I haven't really heard of this before. Here is the way I have my loop set up:
  1. Reservior/D5 Pump(max speed) to GPU
  2. GPU to 140mm Rad(UpsideDown)(Exhaust)
  3. 140mm Rad to CPU
  4. CPU to 240mm Rad(Horizontal)(Exhaust)
  5. 240mm Rad to Reservior
Here are my specs as well:
  • i7 4790K @ 4.6Ghz
  • EVGA 980 Ti SC ACX 2.0(stock clock until I get this sorted out)
  • MSI Z97A Gaming 7
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz
  • Sentey 850 Watt PSU
  • Windows 10 Home
I have read that having a radiator upside down won't impact cooling performance but I thought I would mention it anyway. Also I am pretty sure it's not the thermal paste, as I can run CPU stress tests that never go over ~64C. I have recorded temps and %usage of both the GPU and CPU with MSI Afterburner during four different tasks.
  • Watching YouTube Video
afterburner1youtube.png
  • Running CPU-Z Stress Test
afterburner2cpuz.png
  • Running Valley Benchmark
afterburner3valley.png
  • Playing The Witcher 3
afterburner4witcher.png

The CPU has to work a bit harder to process the GPU working. You also don't have a ton of rad for your setup. The GPU also warms the water when you stress it. A 1C rise in water temp is a 1C rise in CPU temp.

Perfectly normal.

The CPU has to work a bit harder to process the GPU working. You also don't have a ton of rad for your setup. The GPU also warms the water when you stress it. A 1C rise in water temp is a 1C rise in CPU temp.

Perfectly normal.

Ok. Nice to know I didn't mess something up. Although, when I did the CPU-Z stress test, shouldn't the temp on the GPU have gone up as well? And one last question, how much radiator space should I have for a system like this? The rads that I have now are 45mm thick.

Last edited:
And one last question, how much radiator space should I have for a system like this? The rads that I have now are 45mm thick.

I use at least 1x120mm rad per 100W TDP to dissipate.

In your case, you'd need at least 4x120mm (+/- 350W CPU+GPU on load).

Still, I'd feel more comfortable with a bit more raddage.

You could also reverse your flow order to help prevent the gpu from effecting the cpu. Something like this,

Res/pump ->240 rad->cpu->140 rad->gpu

Note that doing this will not change the max temps your system reaches after the loop becomes heat saturated but it should help prevent the short term spikes from the gpu from effecting the cpu as much.

I'd rather use a 500w by a confirmed tried and true brand like EVGA, Silverstone, or an Antec before I trust a Sentey unit.

Sure, the model would help!

This one doesn't look bad either (never heard of this brand though...):

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/sentey-sdp850-ss-power-supply-review/12/

Just because a brand, overall, is known for low quality PSU's doesn't mean they can't put out a good one every now and then.

I'd rather use a 500w by a confirmed tried and true brand like EVGA, Silverstone, or an Antec before I trust a Sentey unit.

This +1.
Sentey has a few decent (even good) units out there, but most are a 4+ year old design at this point and the vast majority of their lineup is crap.

Why are we picking apart a PSU in a water cooling/temperature problem thread?

Why are we picking apart a PSU in a water cooling/temperature problem thread?

:rofl:

It's ok Scott. Every bit helps. As the saying goes, if you see something, say something.

OP, your temps and usage look normal. Nothing wrong with what I'am seeing. The amount of rad is fine but if you want better temps, add more rad and try reversing the flow from GPU to CPU as Loche said. That will save you only a few degrees as CPU's are very sensitive compared to GPUs.

:rofl:

It's ok Scott. Every bit helps. As the saying goes, if you see something, say something.

OP, your temps and usage look normal. Nothing wrong with what I'am seeing. The amount of rad is fine but if you want better temps, add more rad and try reversing the flow from GPU to CPU as Loche said. That will save you only a few degrees as CPU's are very sensitive compared to GPUs.

Thanks for the replies everyone, even if we did go on about the PSU lol. I guess I'll reverse the order like yall were saying and see how the temps do then.

Back